Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer
I have had odd ball stalling/hard to start/sputtering issues for the last 3 weeks.
Then, last week she wouldn’t start at all.     Acted just like no fuel.

Towed to my favorite shop (Simpsons in Grand Junction).    

The main computer has failed.

I have two issues now.    One is immediate….with the world-wide shortage of computer chips it is really hard to find even one.    After searching for the last couple days, shop located just one!   It will arrive next Friday.     The more worrisome issue is that the suppliers for O’Reilly, Napa, auto zone, etc have “obsoleted” this part.     So, wow.   This sounds like in the future replacement of this part will be pretty much impossible.    Wow.    What do I do then?    I would say to stock up now…but…..

Given the sever shortage, I cannot find even one more computer module to purchase a second one now.   
Anyone have any ideas where I might find this part so that I can carry a second one?

Btw…this part was replaced back in 2017.   Warranty is for 12 months.   So, I guess this is not uncommon for them to last only a few short years.
1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
You can always try Rock Auto. 

Sternwake has a thread about his adventures in computerland. Not enough coffee yet for me to remember the details, but he covers them all.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • rvpopeye (06-12-2021)
What the Badge guy ^ said......
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
While I am no electronic component expert, and could easily be wrong, I am having difficulty believing the current worldwide semi conductor transistor chip shortage, which is preventing automakers from completing new vehicles, today, would affect a 30+ year old vehicle that could only dream of the processor power/ size/ capability of today's transistors.

Frankly, I am surprised I was so easily able to order a remanufactured ECM for my 89 Dodge and have it delivered in 2 days earlier this year.

Preventing my latest ECm from prematurely failing will be attempted by, reducing the temperature extremes the ECM sees. Mine is mounted on the firewall directly above the engine, where it just bakes in radiator heat, and then heatsoaks on shutdown. Asinine location yet they last 10 to 15 years and failures seem to be induced, my first by shorted tx wiring, the second by the switched ground wire to ignition coil and tachometer' dumbass ' factor.

I've also constructed a 'tripod' to hold the two ECM connectors immobile, in relation to the receptacles on the ECM whose wires flex when the engine flexes on its rubber mounts under load. The weight of the stiff wire bundle of engine computers can fracture the solder joints, leading to weird intermittent issues.

Old wire bundles are much stiffer than when new., and Neither Ford or Dodge thought their wire insulation needed to remain flexible at 30+ years of age, or that the vehicle itself could ever be viable for that long.

And while a similar year Ford ECM might not be as easy as mine was to replace a few months back, there are outfits which claim to remanufacture, if possible, ones sent to them.

But it might cost ~100$ for them to tell you they can't fix it.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • RoamingKat (07-03-2021)
I am going to follow up on each of those failure modes you found.
The heat isn’t a factor for my master CM because it is mounted inside the passenger side compartment

I have since been told that it caused both relays to short as well as the ecm and ignition control to short out. Wow. I didn’t realize that the master also grounds these other devices too.

So, the whole thing is being replaces. I also asked for that bundle of wiring (it’s own harness?) to be replaced as there was some sign of the kind of wear that 32 years can cause.

Still, hope that solves the shorting out problem. But…I need to get spares for all this.
1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine