Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The engine computer
While I know this will elicit comments of:
"no engine nowhere never ever done needed no computer to fire no damn spark.........'

My engine computer has taken a dump.  It's not the first time.

Back in 2005 I had an ECM failure.  The first engine start of the morning would be fine and dandy, the second it would snort buck fart while the relays clicked on and off, then like a switch was thrown, run perfectly.  This behavior progressively became of longer duration and occur more frequently.

I found one wire leading to the transmission had been flopping around, chafed through its insulation and was grounding out on bell housing.  I replaced that wire, and ordered a new ECM from RockAuto.  The one which said 4 speed transmission and federal emissions.

The remanufactured 'cardone' ecm arrived, and I would have no overdrive or lockup.
Sent it back, got another, same thing.  balls.
Opened up original ECM, saw a part number inside that corresponded to a RockAuto's 3 speed non overdrive transmission, and ordered that, and had overdrive.

Was all irritated that their part number/ product description were the cause of so much back and forth and stress, but I should have opened up my original ECM first.  I did not get refunded  those unnecessary shipping costs, though just so relieved to have a functioning vehicle again I did not try very hard.

A year after I installed the Cardone ECm I started getting a code 53. Internal ECM fault detected.  It ran fine and I ignored it.

2013 or so I had some issues with stalling.  it was the 14 pin connector harness. I zip tied it in such a way that I forgot it was compromised.
2014 on a road trip this issue represented itself, and it became much more difficult to hold the wire bundle in a way where connection with fuel injectors would not be lost.

I got a junkyard connector and spliced it in, and the same issues kept presenting themselves.
I depotted all the soft silicone potting around the pins of this 14 pin connector, and reflowed the solder around the pins, and all issues, but the code 53, disappeared, until a few days ago.

Last December I had done a bunch of steering gear power steering pump work, and when everything was buttoned back up, my aftermarket tachometer became intermittent.  No obvious reason as to why, and rushed to make it 2500 miles  east by Xmas, I never investigated deeper.  Sometimes the tach would work, and then stop, other times it would never work, other times it would work perfectly.

When in florida I found a thin ground wire had lost its ring terminal.  It was easier to simply recrimp a new ring terminal rather than trace the wire to see if it was from the tach I installed 10 years earlier.  Afterwards tach works  perfectly.

When leaving Florida, I start the Van, and while idling cold in driveway it cuts out for 1/2 second, then resumes.  I chose to ignore this hiccup.  With the new air temp sensor trying to maintain an average 100f  into throttle body. and some extended reach sparkplugs of stock heatrange, and some favorable winds, I got the best fuel economy of any of my ~20 cross country drives in this Van.
5 days after leaving florida that I wake up in California, and go get some supplies.  At my second stop I backed about 3 feet out of parking spot and engine dies.  No restart.

First thought was fuel pump. 
 I could not hear it, and jumpered the ASD relay and then could hear it buzzing away.
I then removed engine cover and air cleaner and could see injectors spurting some fuel.
I then took coil wire and held it a few mm from a good ground. No spark.
I Ohm'd the 3 month old coil primary and secondary windings and it was within spec.

My  factory service manual says little but the haynes manual has a procedure for checking the hall effect sensor/ distributor pick up.  One of the 3 wires is supposed to be within 1 volt of battery voltage.  it was instead 3+ volts below.  This wire coming right from engine computer.

I call AAA, and a tow truck is there in 30 minutes and 20 minutes after that It is parked in my spot.
I did not even open hood for 2 days.
yesterday I pull out my original failed ECM.
In 2015 I had reflowed the solder on the 14 pin connector hoping to restore it to function, but it still had the same burp fart choke condition and back on the shelf it went.

But it would start. before the farting would begin, and my newer engine computer would crank only, with no spark at all.  

I tried to start with same engine computer, same thing, crank, no spark.

So I was plugged into the grid, power supply holding 13.6v.  I turned main battery switch to Off, R&R's the ECM, installing the choking farter ecm, turn battery switch back on, and it fires right up and idles perfectly. no burping or farting.

This lack of burping or farting points towards bad capacitors.  The higher voltage of the power supply holding battery at 13.6v before, then putting 40 amps towards cranking starter, allowed the weak voltage leaking capacitor to function as it should.

So it appears i can likely just replace the capacitors on the original ECM and return it to full function.  This has been on my to do list, but way down on it.

I'm gonna order another reman ECM, and then order some new capacitors and try and return the original to full function as I want a backup engine computer, not just for the obvious what if it fails in the middle of nowhere, but for diagnosis.  Sometimes weird electrical issues might or might nort be the engine computer and the only real way to know for sure is to swap out all potential parts which might have failed, or swap in a known good ECM.

An No I can't just rip out the computer install a carb and be done with it, so save your fingertip skin cells.

I have to pass California smog tests every two years and it has to be original equipment.
And I don't care if your state is different.
(03-06-2021, 11:58 AM)sternwake Wrote: 5 days after leaving florida that I wake up in California, and go get some supplies.  At my second stop I backed about 3 feet out of parking spot and engine dies.  No restart.

First thought was fuel pump. 
 I could not hear it, and jumpered the ASD relay and then could hear it buzzing away.
I then removed engine cover and air cleaner and could see injectors spurting some fuel.
I then took coil wire and held it a few mm from a good ground. No spark.
I Ohm'd the 3 month old coil primary and secondary windings and it was within spec.

My  factory service manual says little but the haynes manual has a procedure for checking the hall effect sensor/ distributor pick up.  One of the 3 wires is supposed to be within 1 volt of battery voltage.  it was instead 3+ volts below.  This wire coming right from engine computer.

I call AAA, and a tow truck is there in 30 minutes and 20 minutes after that It is parked in my spot.
I did not even open hood for 2 days.
yesterday I pull out my original failed ECM.
In 2015 I had reflowed the solder on the 14 pin connector hoping to restore it to function, but it still had the same burp fart choke condition and back on the shelf it went.

But it would start. before the farting would begin, and my newer engine computer would crank only, with no spark at all.  

I tried to start with same engine computer, same thing, crank, no spark.

First off Sterwake sorry for your problems.  I've followed your reviews over the years starting at that other "not to be spoken website"

I hesitated to say anything because you are so far ahead of the curve that feared my suggestions might slow you down.

First, I've seen two times in my life that I could verify while working on vehicles that heat was the cause of a no spark condition. (coil related and pickup coil)  Verified by taking ohm measurements when engine is hot and measuring at a cold temperature.  Same with voltage measurements.

Second, I've often attributed symptoms to being from from one cause when most of the time your probably seeing more than one problem.

Good luck wish I could offer more.  Off hand I don't remember what rig you have. If you post info I will try to offer better advice.

Thanks for all you have done over the years.  Enjoy reading your commentaries.
I will certainly be double checking the circuit before hooking up any newly purchased reman ECM.

I was thinking my Tachometer, if the ground was lost, but tach still working intermittently on my 2500 mile roadtrip to other coast...... that it stressed the coil driver circuit in the ECM, and it took the return trip to original coast, repaired, before failing.

The loss of ground happening is inexcusable. I knew it when I broke it, and just forgot to properly attach another ring terminal in the rush to leave. I installed the tach long ago when my wiring skills were a fraction of what they are today.

The original failed ecm now working, with a high CCA AGM battery and 40 amp powersupply kicking in to maintain high voltage, points towards a capacitor replacement as being a perhaps likely potential cure.

In 2005 when I replaced this ECM, My batteries were far from ideally treated. I did not have solar then, so perhaps the ecm getting only 8 to 9v when cranking the engine was just not enough to let the capacitor do what it does to keep a relay energized.

I might eat the core charge on this failed 2005 cardone reman, but 2x the capacitors needed for just the 1, and see.

Appreciate the input.
Just thought of another obscure temperature related problem.   2012 GMC Savanna 2500.  Kept having "Stabilitrak disabled" warning light problems while temperature in cab was cold.  Shutting the engine off would reset the error, but light would reappear until things warmed up. Had factory service manual so could trace signals from ecm.  Turned out to be cable connector problem. Tried reseating connector and fixed problem temporarily.  Wasn't until using your Caig deoxit that problem hasn't resurfaced in last 2 years. Thanks again.

It was odd that even a temperature in the cabin seemed to affect that connection.  Better be lucky any day.  Don't know anything about earlier ecms.

Good luck
Rather than closely check the bundled/wrapped deep/hidden wire from ECM that drives the coil, I think I am just going to splice in and safely route new higher gauge wire and new terminations for this 30+ year old circuit.

I checked every parts store and online vendor of the ECM with specific part number I need, and all of them appear to be re manufactured by Cardone. None of them actually have it in stock, all will order it and ship to store or home.

AZ offered it with competitive price, and lesser core charge fee, and has the 20% off coupon code for over 100$ orders, and free shipping, and locations everywhere.

Last thing I ordered from AZ was the new NipponDenso 50/120 alternator, and it arrived to the door in less than 24 hours.

The original ECM has been partially depotted for easy access to the back side.

There are actually two separate potted circuit boards within the ECM case. One for the 60 pin connector, one for the 14 pin connector.

I only touched the 14 pin circuit board previously.

The Air cleaner snorkel, has a smaller offshoot which plugs into the face of the ECM.
The engine vacuum pulls air through the ECM.

If there is no temp sensor sensing underhood temperature, I think I could perhaps plumb the ECM intake to pull air from a cooler spot.

I can also insulate the new ECM casing with some smartshield/reflectix material, to keep it from baking as badly from engine heat while driving and after shutdown. The ECM mounts on firewall, just above the engine, where it bakes. My second alternator is just below.
While I have not wired it yet, it will also be another source of heat to potentially help bake the ECM.

Keeping ECM cooler should extend its lifespan.

The AIr cleaner snorkel is all beat up. I'm gonna make something new, that will be slightly less restrictive and deliver a slightly cooler charge at higher throttle positions.

The ECM potting is soft semi transparent silicone. I'm gonna be removing more of it on the original, and perhaps the failed first reman too.
search ecu/ecm repair and there are many companies that repair them
The ECM rebuilders want ~250$, to potentially replace only a single 3.50$ capacitor.

I'll order the capacitors first, and see.

Don't learn anything by 'paying the guy' to do it.

Not seeking advice here, especially the insultingly obvious type.
There are days that I can follow your posts without any problems. 

Then there are the posts that I have to study and diagram. Not everyone is capable of the dissection of magic smoke boxes. I appreciate the depth of the details you are posting. 

When I built my different control systems I had to keep referring to your advice.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
As I've told both my ambo & flatbed are '93 the last years before the computer. My has ford plow truck had a mouse family move in & pee on the wiring & computer & the insurance covered it & totaled thhe truck so you might check & see if your insurance will cover it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson
(03-08-2021, 01:19 AM)sternwake Wrote: I checked every  parts store and online vendor of the ECM with specific part number I need, and all of them appear to be re manufactured by Cardone. None of them actually have it in stock, all will order it and ship to store or home..

this company says they will rebuild your unit for $128 and they are not named cardone https://siaelec.com/product/dodge-ecm-ec...ir-return/ and there are many many more ompanies that will to varrying degree of quality,should be one near you