Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Solar panels + snow?
I was shocked to learn that if a single leaf sits on a 100-watt solar panel, the useful gain drops incredibly.

What happens when it snows, and then the sun comes out (still below freezing)?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • Snikwahjm (11-18-2017)
(11-18-2017, 10:57 AM)TrainChaser Wrote: I was shocked to learn that if a single leaf sits on a 100-watt solar panel, the useful gain drops incredibly.

Keep a long handled broom handy. That would also be a big advantage of tilting panel brackets too.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (11-18-2017)
If it snows you move further south. Snowbirds ya know. I think they need to be called Anti-snowbirds since they really are trying to avoid the snow.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
  • heron (11-22-2017)
(11-18-2017, 10:57 AM)TrainChaser Wrote: I was shocked to learn that if a single leaf sits on a 100-watt solar panel, the useful gain drops incredibly.

Oh where did you learn that information?  From bardo?  That is why you research your panels, and buy something designed fairly recently. 

Then it snows then the sun comes out, you brush it off and resume full power capacity
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
I'm not sure who said it, but I read it twice or more, and it wasn't the same person. Are the newer panels not as sensitive to foreign materials landing on them?

Mo, when it comes to a guessing game between me and Mother Nature, I usually lose. One day, I hit 80F, rain, hail and snow within two hours. I guess when people talk about 'windage and elevation', they aren't always talking about shooting.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • heron (11-22-2017)
No, any partial shadowing drastically reduces power production, new or old technology alike.

Newer may be overall more efficient though.

That's why you have to keep your panels clean and clear.

Best technical solution for partial shading is a 1:1 ratio controller per panel, buy them to match each other.

Victron 75/15's at $100 paired with 36+V panels, up to 65V, rated ~220W (up to 300W if you find a super bargain). Each pair optimizes its own MPPT independently of the others.
there are different types of panels,so one type you get a little shadow and it all goes to crap,another type and it only affects that area but the rest is good

someone in the know will respond with actual knowledge
"not of the body"
False, at least among those in mainstream use today.

Bypass diodes built in or between panels help, but just a bit and at a cost.

If multiple panels per SC, then serial vs parallel makes a difference, but not nearly as good as the 1:1 solution above.
(11-18-2017, 07:03 PM)Gary Wrote: Uthere are different types of panels,so one type you get a little shadow and it all goes to crap,another type and it only affects that area but the rest is good

someone in the know will respond with actual knowledge

I did. 

Most modern panels do not have this problem Research before you buy.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • heron (11-22-2017)
Dirty solar panels are very similar to dirty windows. The more dirt covering them, the less you can see. The more dirt on a solar panel, the less sunlight gets to it, the less energy made. I don't know how much one leaf would affect a panel. It would have to be abnormally large to have any serious effect I would think.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
  • GotSmart (11-19-2017)