Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAV4 Camping?
So while I search for a van, I've decided to finally try to set up my RAV4 for camping. I laid down the seats to see what I'm working with, and I have the start of a plan. I ordered a sleeping bag, and I'm going to cut up my old mattress topper to fit inside it...2 layers if I can. I have a pop up tent, so I'll have some outdoor space. I'd like to buy some bug netting for the windows and back hatch, but I don't think I'll need to purchase too much more than that. I'm starting to get excited again... more to follow, maybe pictures. I have the popup tent set up in the yard next to my rav lol
YARC ~ 2 Stinkin' Badges
ROOIRIA
YARC Name: Tripping Over Shadow 
Official YARC Title: The Wizard of Y.A.R.C. (Popeye says so!)

Future home/rig: 2009 Ford E350 Shuttle Bus
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kyz for this post:
  • GypsyDogs (04-15-2023)
Camping is camping even in your back yahd . Do it ! Give 'er tha gassss OOOie !
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Kyz (04-16-2023)
My greatest challenge, in the minivan, was being unable to sit up and drink my coffee in the early morning…
It was kind of a deal breaker for me.. lol
(That and the mv being a total pos-money pit!!)

I so much prefer my funky van.. lol. May be my ‘forever’ rig.. Heart

But as a ‘mean-time’ rig, to get your road fix.. hells yeah. Rock the rav!
My body is a temple- Ancient and crumbling,  
probably cursed 

Dog Bender with 4.2 Stinkin' Badges 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GypsyDogs for this post:
  • Kyz (04-16-2023)
I car camp in my Mazda 3. I have my 12V fridge and the bed is lots of backpacking pads, mostly the blue closed cell foam pads from Walmart. I put clothes in soft sided luggage. The rest just gets stuffed wherever. The (small) dog and I do fine. What keeps me from doing it full time is a 25lb cat and no place for a litter box. The cat also hates traveling and doesn't go outside.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to shadowmoss for this post:
  • Kyz (04-16-2023)
I used to remove the bottom portion of the back seats ,and gain 8 inches of sleeping legroom and more storage, when suv dwelling.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Kyz (04-16-2023)
(04-16-2023, 12:04 PM)sternwake Wrote: I used to remove the bottom portion of the back seats ,and gain 8 inches of sleeping legroom  and more storage, when suv dwelling.

Another benefit was with the bottom.portion of back s3ats removed, the front seats could re line much further, which they coukd not  before.
It was just 4 12mm bolts to remove, to take the seats out, then of course some place elsewhere to store them
The back seats was still usable, if  I  needed to carry more than one.passenger briefly.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Kyz (04-16-2023)
(04-16-2023, 10:01 AM)GypsyDogs Wrote: My greatest challenge, in the minivan, was being unable to sit up and drink my coffee in the early morning…
It was kind of a deal breaker for me.. lol
(That and the mv being a total pos-money pit!!)

I so much prefer my funky van.. lol. May be my ‘forever’ rig.. Heart

But as a ‘mean-time’ rig, to get your road fix.. hells yeah. Rock the rav!

Yes, I made sure that I can sit up in the back of the RAV (with just the seats folded down, not taken out) and I can! I have about 4 inches to spare. So definitely no bed platform or anything. The arm rest even puts a couple cup holders right beside the "bed" area.
YARC ~ 2 Stinkin' Badges
ROOIRIA

(04-16-2023, 10:28 AM)shadowmoss Wrote: I car camp in my Mazda 3.  I have my 12V fridge and the bed is lots of backpacking pads, mostly the blue closed cell foam pads from Walmart.  I put clothes in soft sided luggage.  The rest just gets stuffed wherever.  The (small) dog and I do fine.  What keeps me from doing it full time is a 25lb cat and no place for a litter box.  The cat also hates traveling and doesn't go outside.

I have a 12V fridge, but I'm not sure I'll use it for this. It's pretty big and heavy. I will test it out before I decide. Sure would be nice to have a refrigerator with me, but it's overkill for a few days probably.
YARC ~ 2 Stinkin' Badges
ROOIRIA

(04-16-2023, 03:25 PM)sternwake Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 12:04 PM)sternwake Wrote: I used to remove the bottom portion of the back seats ,and gain 8 inches of sleeping legroom  and more storage, when suv dwelling.

Another benefit was with the bottom.portion of back s3ats removed, the front seats could re line much further, which they coukd not  before.
It was just 4 12mm bolts to remove, to take the seats out, then of course some place elsewhere to store them
The back seats was still usable, if  I  needed to carry more than one.passenger briefly.

I've decided to leave the seats in because 1. I'm short (ish) and can still fit with some space to spare. I won't even need to push the front seats forward.  2. I may need to transport youngest grandson at any time and he's not old enough to sit in front yet. I watched videos on taking out the backseats though and it would probably be easy enough though. 

My backseat is a 2/3rd and 1/3rd split. I'll sleep on the 1/3rd side and have the cupholder/armrest beside me, then still have 1/2 the rav to store/place things.
YARC ~ 2 Stinkin' Badges
ROOIRIA

You’re off the ground and out of the elements and with the price of camp style, not hiking style, sleeping bags…just add a pad and be comfy. The Rav is a nice platform and go anyplace normal rig. Add some soft storage bags for organize and visit the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • Kyz (04-17-2023)