Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiFi-WPA2 security issue. Kinda important.
Copypasta from someplace... 8-)

Tons of articles on this, just linking this one. This is a pretty big deal, especially for mobile users. 

https://www.wired.com/story/krack-wi-fi-...erability/

From the article...

"A flaw in WPA2's cryptographic protocols could be exploited to read and steal data that would otherwise be protected, according to new research from security researcher Mathy Vanhoef of KU Leuven in Belgium. In some situations, the vulnerability even leaves room for an attacker to manipulate data on a Wi-Fi network, or inject new data in. In practice, that means hackers could steal your passwords, intercept your financial data, or even manipulate commands to, say, send your money to themselves."

My thoughts, first one to say, "oh this is no big deal, ignore the fear mongering", gets the label of ignoramus and 42 lashes with a wet noodle. Look into it and get your devices patched. Read the article and maybe a few more on this specific issue.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (10-17-2017), Texjbird (10-18-2017)
Look, Free Wi-Fi at a McDonalds or Barnes and Noble or wherever is great for general browsing, watching Youtube videos, hanging ou at this forum. 

For critical stuff, like online banking or even buying stuff from Amazon, use cellular data, not Wi-Fi. 

I would go so far as to say, use your tablet on Wi-Fi and use your cell phone, with the Wi-Fi turned off, for the critical stuff.

Just my Never-Particularly-Humble-Opinion.  You're Welcome!
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (10-17-2017), Texjbird (10-18-2017), heron (06-23-2018)
Keep sensitive data on a flash drive.
"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to slowdayz for this post:
  • Texjbird (10-18-2017)
I talked about this to my computer guru son, who knows stuff about computers and the web that I don't even want to know. He told me, "Mumsy, this is on the scale of the Equifax thing. You can't do anything about it, just stay off open wifi systems with any sensitive info. Use your cellular connection for that stuff".
Ted