Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tip: No Pan Lids
Tip:  Get Rid of all your cooking pan LIDS... Instead, Pack an Extra Frying Pan (bigger than any others you may have), and use It as the (1)One Lid for any/all pots, pans.

This can save a lot of space, especially if you normally carry several pans; you also end up with an Extra Pan (in place of all the lids), to use for cooking
I like the idea, but..
What do you do if you need to put a lid on the fry pan ?   Wink
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
(07-22-2021, 06:02 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: I like the idea, but..
What do you do if you need to put a lid on the fry pan ?   Wink

^ That's why you replace all your lids with a 2nd (Larger) Fry Pan... With IT, you now have a lid for your (smaller) frying pan, as well as all your pots  ;-)

Also, 2 frying pans stack quite compactly, hence the 2nd is a freebie in terms space usage

AND... with the 2nd (Larger) frying pan, you can Cook on it while Stacked Atop your first Pan/Pot, to save gas... It won't get hot enough to Sear food up there, but will get hot enough to cook eggs, onions, etc
Big Grin

I can just see my clumsy ass trying this stacked cooking.  Confused

Nice idea on the space saving frying pan idea. But if the bottom gets greasy it can flame if set on a burner. Every time I make a cooking mistake I slightly tense up. My mother had a long wooden spoon she bought from the Fuller Brush Salesman.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh
I remember that Mr.Fuller Brush guy too!
He didn't bother me comin' around ,,,,we had a big HD yard stick for sticking the oil tank on the back porch though.....
My grandmother had those wood spoons but she just made cookies and stuff with 'em.......
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
yea I got this little tip/trick and would work in a pinch but not for me if I am long term cooking on the road. Agree that a pan 'lid should fit the pan' it is to be used for. I wouldn't put a bigger fry pan over a smaller one and ever walk away from it! Like GS said only take a second for a disaster!

Thing is with a lid on a pan....how many do ya f'ing need? LOL I have plenty of rv space and I only have 1 fry pan that has a lid and I only have one deep medium sized pot that has a lid.....so for only 2 lids which truly take up damn near no space, I get delightful and easy cooking I desire Smile Smile I got leftover space for pots and pans I fill up with some other crap instead. Life can be had easily with a 2 or 3 fine pans and away ya go for life....no need for more than that truly, but if one is a super chef, then yea I get the entire kitchen loaded to the hilt with every damn pan and fry pan and gadget known to mankind HAHA I also bought the fry pan and pot that can go into the oven in high heat with the lids....no need for other stuff for oven cooking either. double duty
3 Stinkin' Badges, YARC, 3 Cat Ass Trophies , ROOIRIA Wannabe,(never happen) and still a Bisquit cause me soggy!
And 2 run down Flying Manure Spreaders!
Try to find a silicone lid to fit. Those are cheap and don’t take up much space. A lid too big will drip condensation on to your stove.
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
My one skillet does not have a lid. I have used foil before when I absolutely needed a lid. Not near as easy to take on/put back, but it worked in a pinch.
YARC ~ 2 Stinkin' Badges
ROOIRIA
YARC Name: Tripping Over Shadow 
Official YARC Title: The Wizard of Y.A.R.C. (Popeye says so!)

Future home/rig: 2009 Ford E350 Shuttle Bus
If you put a lid or top on a frying pan while cooking it will drip all over the place and make a huge mess.
monkeyfoot
I used to carry a cast iron skillet, about 10 inch diameter, and a modern 'teflon' aluminum skillet.

They mated perfectly, rim to rim, and the aluminum could be placed atop the cast iron without issue, but placing the cast iron on Aluminum made it so top heavy extra care had to be employed.

Then the aluminum skillet's ridge became not perfectly flat, and would not balance atop the cast Iron properly.

In one of my, 'what weight am I carrying that I rarely use, and do not need to carry', the large Cast Iron skillet got the boot.

I have a lightweight 'universal' skillet lid, that well exceeded the size of the large aluminum skillet. I recently used my tin snips and cut it just larger than it, and tamped the edges around so it fits tightly.

I so rarely use the aluminum skillet that it still is a waste of space, but at least it is lightweight.

My whole diet is all sorts of different now , as I realized if I skip breakfast, that 5 days of 7 I do not need to eat until dinner. So I only plan and fabricate the one meal a day. 5 days, the other 2 a PB&J or PB & honey gets me to dinner.

Easier, economical, and my knees are thanking me as I am shedding weight, without any effort involved.

That one meal I will try and make with more healthy , more expensive ingredients, as I save so much money not buying foods specifically for breakfast or lunch.

I rarely even use my tiny 6" cast iron skillet anymore, but the lid which fits it, fits the one pot I boil pasta in.

So I carry two lids and only the one actually takes up 3/4 inches of space in the bin in which I keep such Items. The other lid I can turn upside down so the handle is inside andeverytting fits with minimal wasted space.

My Van interior was rebuilt in 2007, with 'minimal wasted space' in mind on every aspect of the interior, having had 6 years to figure out what was needed, and what was not.

That ability makes the additional weight of Items i can find room for, a more pressing issue to drivetrain
& suspension wear, and MPGs.