Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swamp cooler
I have test a couple of those mini AC units.   They do not work.   They put out suck a tiny amount that you couldn’t get any cooling from them unless you sit on top of it….certainly isn’t going to do a thing for a small van.  
I see that this diy project is everywhere.    Many ideas on how to build them.   BUT…here is the big issue….

I do not have the space to store a 5 gal bucket, Or a large storage bin to hold water.

I need to figure out a completely collapsible set up.    I have the power capacity, so pump and fan are the easy part….

Ideas?   

I had thought to build the frame apparatus from pvc pipe.   Something I can disassemble to put away.    Put a swamp cooler pad on this frame, and pump water onto the top to soak down (gravity sucks).  

But….what can I use for a water reservoir that would be big enough, water proof, and folds flat?
1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
Now you know why I set up a system to run a air conditioner. It's easy to create the power needed to run that. It's hard to create the water needed for a swamp cooler. It's hard to store the water for a swamp cooler and it takes a much larger space than my small air conditioner takes up to have the same cooling affect. It also take a much higher rate of air flow to get decent cooling than people think.

The simplest swamp cooler is a pad over a door or window with a tank below. A pump going to a piece of PVC drilled to distribute the water the length of the pad and a tray below it that drains back in to the tank. Use the vent/exhaust fan to draw the air through the pad and exhaust the hot air off or the ceiling. This only works if the fan is on the opposite end from the pad.

Last thing is that swamp coolers suck. The cool air is humidified and feels clammy. Everything in the van will absorb that moisture and eventually smells musty.

I know that you have lithium and all but you do not have the capacity or solar to really run a A/C. It might be time to consider a small generator.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • rvpopeye (06-10-2021)
One of those collapsible water jug-bags?
My body is a temple- Ancient and crumbling,  
probably cursed 

Dog Bender with 3.2 Stinkin' Badges 
"I have Faith"
well, the problem is…I don’t have the space for it.

I do not have storage capacity for a tub to hold the water…..so, I really don’t have the space for a generator and the gasoline to run it.    (Plus, I would have to keep the gas inside the van….no, no, no)

so….  As for clammy.    The place where I stay now uses just a swamp cooler.   Leave a door or window open and the air circulation does the job.     (Just here for this summer due to work on the RV)

A bag style bucket isn’t wide enough to put any decent sized cooler pad in, also I found that unless it is kept nearly full the bag has little or no integrity and collapses so much that water will leak out.   I gave away one of those after finding it was not working for laundry.

The solid collapsible bucket isnt wide enough to place a cooler pad into it.  

So…stores flat and holds water…..think about 2’ wide and 12” deep would be about the smallest

Anyone tried this out? Just how many gallons does it use per hour?
1989 Honeywell motorhome
I was thinking rig a hose and drip system from a collapsible JUG not bucket. (Portable Water Canteen, 2.6 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVDQP77 )
So takes less space when not in use, and has the capacity to do some good for a while.
My body is a temple- Ancient and crumbling,  
probably cursed 

Dog Bender with 3.2 Stinkin' Badges 
"I have Faith"
if you have access to plenty of water check out some misting systems/fans,should be easy enough to make your own,i have been around them and they work but takes plenty of water
"not of the body"
I made my own micro mister with a $10 half gallon garden mister bottle. Any breeze and a misted shirt or skin and you're cool even in 90's (that's the hottest it's been since I got it) It even has a lock button on the trigger lever !
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 8 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)
If it is just me….I can just use a fan and a wet shirt. Works great.

But, there is kitten to worry about. High heat is an issue for her. Having to wear a nose to tail fur coat is a big issue. Tried to just get her wet…she didn’t forgive me for days.

So, keeping the space cooler is the issue.
1989 Honeywell motorhome
Y'ALL PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T DO WHAT I DID.

MY FRIGIDAIRE THAT SAYS IT IS A PERSONAL FAN AND COOLING SYSTEM ( SWAMP COOLER) SUCKS BIG GREEN BOOGERS  Angry  IT IS NOT EVEN A GOOD FAN LET ALONE A COOLING SYSTEM.    IT HAS THREE FAN SPEEDS, OSCILLATES, HAS A REMOTE, A TIMER, AND ALSO A TANK AT THE BOTTOM OF IT TO FILL WITH WATER AND EVEN COMES WITH LITTLE FROZEN GEL FILLED PLASTIC PACKS THAT CAN BE PUT IN IT TO HELP IT COOL THE WATER DOWN. WITH IT BEING ON SALE, AND HAVING FREE SHIPPING IT STILL COST ME $115 AT LOWE'S.

TODAY AROUND 10:00 I SET IT UP IN THE A-LINER.  IT WAS A CLOUDY MORNING AND WE HAD HAD SOME RAIN THE EYELINER WAS ACTUALLY COMFORTABLE EVEN THOUGH IT HAD BEEN ALL SHUT UP DUE TO ALL THE RAIN COMING THIS WEEK.  WHEN QUEENIE AND I GOT TO THE EYELINER AROUND 4:00 P.M. IT WAS HOTTER INSIDE THE TRAILER THEN IT WAS OUTSIDE IN THE BRIGHT SUNSHINE.  IT WAS EVEN HOTTER INSIDE THE TRAILER THEN IT WAS DRIVING THE VAN WITH NO AIR AND ONLY ONE WINDOW ROLLED DOWN.

THE SO-CALLED PERSONAL FAN AND COOLING SYSTEM IS GOING BACK TO LOWE'S TOMORROW.  I'LL CHECK IN WITH JUSTIN AND SEE WHEN HIS NEXT DAY OFF IS SO HE CAN PUT A NEW AIR CONDITIONER THROUGH THE WALL IN THE EYELINER.
  FILM AT 11:00  Rolleyes 

SO QUEENIE AND I ARE HAVING A GIRLS FRIDAY NIGHT OUT AT THE LOCAL NO TELL  MOTEL & DEW DROP INN.  WE ARE SO LUCKY THAT WE HAD A ROOM ON THE SIDE THAT THE SUN SETS ON.  SO AFTER 2 HOURS I WENT TO DOLLAR GENERAL AND SPENT 18 BUCKS ON A THREE-SPEED OSCILLATING FAN.

I LIKE TO NEVER GOT THE DAMN THING PUT TOGETHER AND CLEANING WAS NOT ONE BIT OF HELP EITHER.  SHE JUST LAY ON HER FANCY PILLOW UP ON THE COUCH THREE FOOT FROM THE AIR CONDITIONER AND WOULDN'T EVEN LOOK AT ME WHEN I CALLED HER NAME.

WE DINED ON BEING A SAUSAGE<<<<<< THAT'S THE INNER SAUSAGE NUMB NUTS<<<<<<<< HOW ABOUT THOSE LITTLE CANNNED SAUSAGES<<<<<<< WELL THE F'ING THING COULD SPELL THAT!!!  ALSO CHEDDAR CHEESE AND CRACKERS ON PAPER PLATES SITTING ON THE BED WATCHING A BIG OLD FLAT SCREEN TV.    THE MOVIE HAS MORE ADVERTISEMENTS THAN ANY YOUTUBE VIDEO EVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT HAVING.

THAT CLEANING IS JUST TOO DAMN COMFORTABLE TAKING UP HALF OF THE BED SLEEPING CROSSWAYS ON HER FLUFFY PILLOW WITH HER DORA EXPLORER BLANKET.  I'D YELL RUN CLEAN THE AIR<<<<< THAT WAS RUN QUEENIE RUN, EXCEPT TECHNICALLY IN DOG YEARS THE POOR OLD THING IS 7 YEARS OLDER THAN ME.  I RECKON I'LL CUT HER A LITTLE SLACK THIS EVENING SINCE SHE IS SUCH GOOD COMPANY.

QUEENIE AND WHAT'S LEFT OF JEWELLANN
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
       Rolleyes   I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Texjbird for this post:
  • rvpopeye (06-12-2021), American Nomad Patriot (06-13-2021), BCGuy (06-14-2021)
I bet Jim knows what is currently the best little AC to get....
I thought the only thing those little swampers could cool would be mosquitoes !
Thx for posting your test run results
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 8 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)