Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Blue the RT
Well, I'm started on the poor old thing.

Spent a little time in the last day or two getting the back end of the van squared away. Single bed, hinged platform, so can get at storage easily. Bought a new foam mattress when we got back last summer. Cut it down to fit the space (only 51X71), cut it again yesterday to 35".

Started work on the damn black tank today. Got up close, and it seemed pretty clear the strap that holds the tank up had chafed the tank, but when I finally got the damn strap off, there was no leak there. Took up the toilet to see if that was a thing, but no. Put it back. Can't figure it out.

Going to get to work on the mechanicals, next, and solar. Got to get a new starter battery. It's dead as a mackerel, and don't know why. I started the van, and left it running for a while once a month, and the last time I went down to start it, got nothing. Jumped it, left it running for a long time, shut it off, went down a couple hours later and started it again, started right up. Went to bring it up to the house, and had to jump it again. Drove around a bit, came home, left it running. Next day, dead again, and won't charge. Borrowed the neighbor's big charger - nothing. So, I guess I killed it, somehow. I'm assuming I just screwed it up by not properly charging, but have concern about why it died in the first place. The battery's maybe two years old?

More battery stuff: I have two six volt Sam's club golf cart batteries. Ever since they've been in there, they've been leaking acid out the top. Does that mean they're boiling? Should I care?

Th- th- that's all, folks! For now, anyway.
One gloriously stinkin' badge.
ROOIRIA
FULL MONTY!!!!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to heron for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (05-17-2020), Texjbird (05-17-2020)
The generic methods. or things I've tried or seen tried.
(Sometimes you get lucky but... Builders don't seem to all do things the same , so YMMV . Maybe this will help....)

The holding tank:
Where do you see "evidence" of the leak ? (I'm assuming from up top someplace cuz you'd prob see the actual leak if not.)
On the top .(I knowwww ,how can you see THAT !) The gasket sealing the vent pipe sometimes gets "loose" with time , allowing the tank contents to seep out when full.
Is that when it leaks ?
(There's another possible similar gasket where the throne dumps in.)

Short of dropping the tank , I guess the only remedy is dump before it gets full....Cutting a hole in the floor ,,,, it's possible but not easy , it could or could not help.

The battery:
Hmmm, measure the voltage and then start the van (jump if needed) and measure volts again...did the reading go up? To ~14 volts ? The alternator isn't the problem.
Did it stay the same ? The alternator isn't charging.. (assuming the volt regulator is internal)
Batteries sometimes short out between cells dropping the voltage potential a couple volts or more , enough to leave it useless...

Seeing the tank top ?... I don't have one but available are "bore scopes" , little camera's on a flex shaft to look inside places you can't. (Cheap china versions have been spotted at Wally's "as seen on TV isle..)

Measuring volts + no meter in the toolbox ?
Sometimes you can turn on a light and see it get brighter or not.... or I can bring one uptah coast !
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 8 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (05-17-2020), heron (05-17-2020)
Have you ever checked the level of the battery fluid in any of the batteries?  Starter batteries only have so many lives.  

Where is the leak showing up?  Liquid only travels down hill unless it is condensation. Are the seals hard or soft?  It could be a problem with the toilet.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
My old RT had a black tank leak around the dump handle, the RV repair guy said it was “a thing“ so just another cheaper possibility to check out.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Queen for this post:
The dump valves are a cheap , easy fix.
Usually. RTs jam stuff in , you knew that.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 8 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
Yep, oak is heavy.

Mine weighs 9700 Lbs loaded.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • heron (05-17-2020)
I'm SURE it's on a 1 ton chassis !!!

maybe Wink .
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • heron (05-17-2020)
I think only the 170 model is on a 3/4 ton chassis. My gross vehicle weight (GVW) can be 10,500. I have no clue what my empty weight is. Full weight includes 35 gallons of water and 35 gallons of gas. 10 gallons of propane and about 300 Lbs in batteries. This is part of the reason I call it the beast, it is big and heavy.

Edit to add: forgot about the reliance 7 gallon water container and BEER!
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (05-17-2020)
Upgraded tire ratings I presume......

My class C is rated for 10,500 GVW !
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
Load range "E" single rears with 80 psi in the rear and 60 psi in the front. This is what the door jamb calls for.
Brian