Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FYI Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller
FYI.
Received an email from etrailer.com about a new fangled gizmo that controls a seven way plug trailer's brakes without adding wiring front to back on the tow vehicle, or installing an under dash unit. Can be easily ported to a different tow vehicle.

One thought occurs to me, is that you lose the ability to reach down, without taking your eyes off the road, and apply only the trailer brakes, if (when) necessary.

Does require a smartphone, Bluetooth, and an app. No fooling around by the driver with the setup while driving. (Copilot fiddles with the phone and tire smoke appears in the rear view mirrors.)

No word on how it affects other Bluetooth devices. Talking on a headset and the trailer's brakes don't engage downhill from Vail Pass, Deadman's Pass, or Austin (NV) Pass. The person at the other end might wonder if your world was ending.

Here is the basic blurb from the email, and the link is below. Oh, the price is $212.89.

"The CURT Echo Proportional Brake Controller is unlike any other brake controller you’ve seen. Its easy plug-and-go installation is great for those who tow with multiple vehicles, tow infrequently, or simply don’t want to mess with a permanent install. Just plug it into your 7-way (no wires to run, no tools need). It communicates wirelessly with your smartphone so you can make on-the-fly adjustments, and you can save up to 5 pre-sets for different trailers or road conditions. And the unit’s compact size makes it easy to store in your glovebox when not in use."

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controlle...51180.html

My concern would be connection loss. I've used BT connected devices a bunch. They randomly drop connection. This of course will happen on an 18% grade when the alien mothership crashes in front of you.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
This Just In.......
"Today , Man dies in horrible crash , due to trying to brake while driving"....... ?????

It's new so it's GOTTA be better !
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 8 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • minddroool (04-14-2020)
LoL

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
(04-14-2020, 03:59 AM)rvpopeye Wrote: This Just In.......
"Today , Man dies in horrible crash ,  due to trying to brake while driving"....... ?????

Hey there's an app for that!

Tongue

I have a friend who uses one of these on his TAB400 with two different tow vehicles....seems to work well for him but you still have to have a 12v power wire for the brakes, available at or near the 7 way trailer connector.

This device is intended for vehicles that have the hitch receiver, and the 7 way connector, but DON'T have the trailer controller.

And since most newer vehicles that have both of those usually have a factory plug for a brake controller, the intended market seems to be older vehicles that have the hitch receiver AND the 7 way connector, but don't have a brake controller or the factory plug for it, and you would have to splice into the factory wiring to add a brake controller.

Yeah it has somewhat limited target audience, but for that audience, it might just be the 'bee's knees'...
A cat, a dog, and a dude.
Yeah , I'm sure they have a work around for the emergency braking glitch I'm joking about ,,,,,but what if they don't ? Confused
Dark times , just tryin' ta keep it light....... Wink
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 8 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Scott7022 (04-15-2020)