Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How old is your shampoo??
As someone who bathes their dogs infrequently. Let me share my (expensive) experience. 
Washed the kids on Sat afternoon. By Monday, K'ne was having a weird PAIN reaction to being petted. I had no idea what was going on. Went into observation mode. Next day, discovered crusty buildup around hair follicles. Aw Crap
Apparently my shampoo had "spoiled" and caused an excruciatingly painful Raging Staph Infection of their skin. Yes, both dogs showing symptoms by late Tuesday. In to vet soonest- today. Pain meds and antibiotics should clear it up, but it could have been avoided. 
From now on, if I cannot readily remember purchasing a shampoo- it gets tossed and replaced.
My body is a temple- Ancient and crumbling,  
probably cursed 

[Image: AIDog_Line_Sm_Teal_GD.png]
Dog Bender with just one Stinkin' Badge 

"it's Beige.."
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to GypsyDogs for this post:
  • rvpopeye (12-04-2019), heron (12-05-2019)
A sharpie is your best friend. 

Write use by dates on the bottles. 

Poor Yotes.  Undecided
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • heron (12-05-2019)
I write date purchased if it is something I think might go bad. If there is a best by date on it then I kinda have an idea of how much wriggle room I have. Medications lose potency after the use by date but don't go bad AFAIK.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
The shampoo had no 'use by' date. I Checked! I just didn't think it was That old.

Smarter now
probably cursed 

"it's Beige.."
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to GypsyDogs for this post:
  • Scott7022 (12-05-2019), heron (12-05-2019)
What kind of shampoo was it? Check online to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. I've never heard of outdated human shampoo -- why would dog shampoo go bad? Maybe it wasn't the age, but the ingredients. I hope they both get better quickly.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CatPerson for this post:
  • heron (12-05-2019)
(12-04-2019, 03:50 PM)GypsyDogs Wrote: The shampoo had no 'use by' date. I Checked!  I just didn't think it was That old.

Smarter now
I have dog shampoo that's ancient and I still use it, no problems, so you might want to check, as CP suggested, and possibly find you should avoid that kind in future?
One gloriously stinkin' badge.
ROOIRIA
FULL MONTY!!!!
Guys--- I bought this shampoo several years ago. Apparently, somehow it got contaminated, or 'turned' over time-  it happens. 
The combination of nice warm water and scrubbing set up the perfect pathway for bacteria to encroach into hair folicles.

I do not need to be reprimanded or hear what I 'should have done'  - it has already happened, and I am beating myself up enough- thanks...

I am just sharing the info for those that don't think to note the purchase date of a bottle of dog shampoo. 

Personally- I will handle it as : They will get a fresh bottle for xmas every year (they won't know or care- but it will be my reminder) Shampoo is not so expensive that I cannot take this simple precaution.
probably cursed 

"it's Beige.."
I don't have a dog anymore but this thread has me wondering about MY shampoo ???
The last bottle I bought is very old..........been shaving my hair for 9 years !
The good news ? They have discontinued it , so I still have a lifetime supply......

Hope the Yote's are feelin' better by now.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • GypsyDogs (12-05-2019)
I don't think anyone is trying to beat on you for what happened. When I hear about something like that, I like to know what it was so I can pass the info and warn my friends.

There's no way that you're the only pet owner who has an old bottle of shampoo in a cupboard somewhere.
(12-05-2019, 03:57 PM)CatPerson Wrote: I don't think anyone is trying to beat on you for what happened.  When I hear about something like that, I like to know what it was so I can pass the info and warn my friends.

There's no way that you're the only pet owner who has an old bottle of shampoo in a cupboard somewhere.  I probably do, and I haven't had a dog since my two old ladies were put to sleep a few years ago.