Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truck camper advice/opinions wanted
We are looking at buying a new popup truck camper and have narrowed the search down to two that are within our budget and still have most of the features we want. My questions for the group are these:
1. Northstar 850sc or Palomino SS 1251? I've read all the poor reviews regarding Palomino/Forest River, but it has everything we want. Is the quality really that bad? The components seem to be what all the other manufacturers are using. Obviously I would go look at these first hand if it were easy. The closet Northstar is about 250 miles and the closest Palomino is about 400 miles.
2. Best time to buy? Now, before winter, or Spring?
3. Best time to sell? We'll be parting with our beloved 1988 Sun-Lite Eagle, only because it lacks a wet bath.

I appreciate any and all input.

Jill

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
I would not recommend any Forest River product. The component might be the same, but the build quality is inferior.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • SunnyandFiona (10-29-2019)
Do NOT chance a Lance.  Dealers nor the factory will stand behind them.  

Mine sits out by the farm's burn pile.
Smile, laugh, it's free and makes others wonder what you are up too
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to RoamingRaven for this post:
  • SunnyandFiona (10-29-2019), American Nomad Patriot (10-29-2019)
owned a few forest river rvs. never had bad troubles. I know people hate them, but honestly you can still get a good unit. for us, no the quality is not that bad truly!

Palomino everything you want....get it! Enjoy it.....at some point ya know you buy what suits you, hope for the best in life and go for it Smile
3 Stinkin' Badges, YARC, Cat Ass Trophy, ROOIRIA Wannabe, Bisquit cause me soggy!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamerRV428 for this post:
I've had several forest forest rivers and I honestly have no complaints with them. Even wintered in one over two Maine winters and never had a drop of water leak. Fridge, AC, Heat, water pump, furnace, stove all worked in a 13 yr old unit.

I had a caribou outfitter and sunvalley sunlite for pop up truck campers. No complaints with either as far as quality goes but pop ups ultimately weren't for me.

I'd get the one that you think fits you the best and start enjoying.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
I feel my post didn't give you an informative reason Smile Hubby and I lived in it for 5 years and the girls (4) and I used it on the PowWow circuit for four years before that. Yes, it still sits by the burn pile, it is a 2003 and the interior looks almost new. We had a wet bath and no complaints. It lost trim, it leaked around facets, the propane generator worked one weekend and never again, the slide-out let rain, snow, and wind in. Then about year 3, the slide-out began to drift out as we drove down the road and it was locked it. The stove didn't work, but the stovetop did. The microwave worked if you were brave enough to use it, you could see inside around the door, no tight seal. The refrigerator was a 3way and drained the battery in less than an hour. The CD/radio player sounded good in the six Bose speakers until the CD player fell out of its custom hole.

Most of that was reported to the dealer within the first six months. Dealer nor Lance stood behind the warranty. Then the girls and I were at a powwow when a tornado hit. It pulled the camper apart at the seams. I got excited, finally, it would get fixed. Oh hell no! Allstate said it is not covered for an act of god. Held it together for the next five years while hubby and I lived in it with ratchet straps, gorilla tape, and liquid nails.
Smile, laugh, it's free and makes others wonder what you are up too
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to RoamingRaven for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (10-29-2019), SunnyandFiona (10-29-2019), Texjbird (10-30-2019)
I using a Forest River atm that is a 5th wheel 37ft with 3 slides. I have lived in it and hauled it all over the US for the past 6 years. It's a 2006. I have no complaints. Of course with any rig that amount of care maintenance, and replacing anything that looks worn, etc plays a large part.
Hope this helps. I'd buy another one again if I was not building my bus instead.
#NomadLivesMatter  
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to American Nomad Patriot for this post:
  • SunnyandFiona (10-29-2019), RoamingRaven (10-30-2019)
The older units were better than the new units. Cost cutting and build quality has gone down hill.  With staples the units shake apart while going down the road. No structural strength. 

I stand behind my “buyer beware “ rating.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • SunnyandFiona (10-30-2019)
hell it's buyer beware buying any damn thing nowadays LOL

and I don't mean that lightly. I mean that in truth.

But I owned newer units. They were fine. Usual blimps with new situations, never crossed into nightmare and we used that sucker big time. For me when something is rode hard, put up wet and still functions great.....then yea it is in good form and I would definitely get another forest river.

It just falls to did ya get a crappy one and hate that company for life or did ya get the decent one and you enjoyed it and can say they are ok Smile Personal experience comes into play for sure.

Just don't buy one made on a Friday afternoon when workers want out of there HAHA
3 Stinkin' Badges, YARC, Cat Ass Trophy, ROOIRIA Wannabe, Bisquit cause me soggy!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamerRV428 for this post:
  • SunnyandFiona (10-30-2019)
RV Facebook group “RV horror stories” should be joined by anyone wanting to buy an RV. Also it’s good to join the Facebook group for your particular unit. Just make sure the group isn’t owned by the company - they do that also.
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • SunnyandFiona (10-30-2019), RoamingRaven (10-30-2019), Texjbird (10-30-2019)