Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing length
Saw this post in one of the FB groups. I didn't comment. Is this even legal?

"I am a full time RVer. I travel in a 40' Bus towing a 24' Trailer. Half of the time we boondock or camp free. Any help we can get to find free spots is great."

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
1 Stinkin' Badge

I ain't right, but it is NEVER too  late to start a new life. Shy

PAULETTE and TWO CATS (Smudge is all mine) and the DOUG
Yes , it's legal.
Is it a Phaeton ?
And is the driver named Lloyd ?
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

No, the name was Carolyn (it's a couple). Thanks for the answer - mostly just curious. But I can't imagine driving that on FS or BLM roads, at least the ones I have been on.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
1 Stinkin' Badge

I ain't right, but it is NEVER too  late to start a new life. Shy

PAULETTE and TWO CATS (Smudge is all mine) and the DOUG
I ran across a website a few months ago that listed maximum total lengths allowed, by state, and some were under 55 feet.
Many semi trailers are over 53'
Let me recommend the best medicine in the world, a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant country, in easy stages. James Madison

It depends on the classification of the tow vehicle.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
About 37 states limit RVs (in any combination) to 65 feet bumper to bumper. Yes, many RVers break those laws every day...some of them brag about it on forums. Some RVers will actually get over-length permits so you really never know for sure who is legal or not legal just by looking. 

Commercial trucks involved in interstate commerce are under federal rules (not state laws) when it comes to length and weight when on federal highways, but may be subject to state laws when on non-federal highways...so, comparing semis and their trailers to what RVs are allowed to pull wont provide any real answers....because the rules and laws are so different.
Wondering about Wandering.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • Abnorm (10-06-2019)
I just know it’s going to be white knuckles and sweating and maybe even crying for me all the way out to AZ in this monster with a trailer. Lots of other people do it and I suppose I can get used to it... maybe.. shit.
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • heron (10-07-2019)
Nah, Camilla, you’re a badass. It’ll feel weird for a bit, then fun as hell!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
  • heron (10-07-2019)
Will drive for coffee.

;-)
Wondering about Wandering.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • heron (10-07-2019)