Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
picking resident state
So... I'm currently a Missouri resident (for another month at least). For tax purposes, I'm hoping to only declare Missouri as my state of residence for this year. I pay personal property taxes on home and vehicle here. 

I'm moving to Louisiana, won't be buying a home, but will be buying an RV soon as possible. I will be traveling as soon as possible, but Louisiana will be home base unless my Mom's miracle is answered and they sell their house (they are mid-70s).

I'm debating trying to become a Texas resident instead, BUT by the time I pay for something like Escapes, their mail service, and having mail forwarded--how much am I really saving?

My main concern (I think) is state income taxes on my retirement.

It will be much easier to establish residency in Louisiana, but at the same time, I'd like to avoid using my parent's mailing address as much as possible. I got a P.O. box nearby but I know that won't work for establishing residency.

Thoughts? Comments?
YARC 1 Stinkin' Badge
ROOIRIA

(Retired, House Almost Sold, RV is next on the list!)
As far as Louisiana goes, you might want to check out what it is going to cost you to buy (taxes) and register a vehicle.

You can have a mailing address that is different than your "resident" address.

Texas doesn't have personal property (vehicle) taxes, just registration and inspections. Thought about North Dakota?
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
(08-15-2019, 09:55 AM)B and C Wrote: Thought about North Dakota?

Yes and no? As a possibility in the future, but not right away. I was looking at Texas because it seemed easier... ? 

Honestly not sure how I will establish residence anywhere without paying my own utilities, etc. Even my one credit card bill is paperless. A Real ID driver's license seems a challenge too. (I still don't have one because Missouri just made them available this year.)
YARC 1 Stinkin' Badge
ROOIRIA

Easiest is to use your parents address. Cheapest? I don't know why you would have to have a utility bill.
Texas - use escapees
AFAIK ND is easy, just spend a night in an RV park.

How about a passport in place of the real ID driver's license?

Just giving you food for thought. It seems you have some research to do.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Kyz (08-15-2019)
I originally planned to just use my parents address (and a PO Box) and establish residency in Louisiana.... but I'm second guessing it. Sales tax is 9.95% so I'm just feeling an "ouch" factor...

South Dakota does seem an easy solution... I don't have a passport (yet), but that's high on the list to obtain too.
YARC 1 Stinkin' Badge
ROOIRIA

A passport just has to be renewed every 10 years.
Brian

Arizona? Just have to keep your mail fowarding paid for in Q. You get a PO Box and physical address from them. And I was told insurance is cheap, and I *think* no inspection?
One gloriously stinkin' badge.
ROOIRIA
two choices
a place to winter or a place to summer

west coast would be the perfect place if the government wasnt batshit crazy and tax you to death,literally
Late to the party, but here is a brief comparo of domicile states I've been working on.
---
frater/jason
FT around El Paso:  159" Promaster, 570w
blog | campervan | RVwiki

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
  • Kyz (08-21-2019)
UPS store will give you a P.O.Box My address through the UPS store looked like this Roaming Raven 1234 Our Street, Suite 567 The Town, ST zippy You can use that for your driver's license and UPS will forward your mail to you. Mine in Ohio was 159 a year.

PS the Suite # is your P.O.Box #
CoPilots: Cleo & Joe
2000 Tioga 27' Class C
450 Ford Chassis
V-10 Triton
Onan 4000 on-board gas genny
Two 145 w solar panels & Two 70ah batteries
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamingRaven for this post:
  • Kyz (08-21-2019)