Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D day
I never have understood why the allies didn't bomb the hell out of Normandy for a month before the invasion.If the Nazi's had sent reinforcements we could have caught them in the open on the roads and with our superior air power we could have blown them to hell.Disclaimer;I am not a military genius and don't play one on tv.I've never even slept in a Holiday Inn.
most military leaders are idiots
And always prepared to fight the last war instead of the next one.
Or, bomb the hell out of Normandy and invade elsewhere?
Well how about a WWII story...…..it's after D-day and my customer.... Russell V Hughes is only 15 yrs old but lies and enlists in the Army 

His transport plane gets shot down over Europe (his parents receive a telegram that he's dead)…...but he's captured and sent to a POW camp inside Germany...……...

Almost immediately he escapes the camp with a group of prisoners...….his party of three breaks into a German farmhouse...…they find a map of the region...……..AND THEY SEW 'OLD GLORY' on their T-shirts using scraps of fabric/rags found in the house

Photo of the tattered remnant

Of course he makes it back and home again after the war...……He joins the family supply business in Orlando....Hughes Supply and during his tenure amasses a huge nationwide network of smaller supply houses...….back in 2006 it all sold to The Home Depot for over $ 3 Billion 

He was also a history buff...……He assembled the World's largest collection of POSTCARDS depicting Harley Davidson and Indian Motorcycles...It has it's own warehouse in Orlando

(in the early days both businesses solicited Owners to send "postcards" of their ride to the companies...…..Drugstores of the era provided a photo on KODAK postcard stock...……...I copied and re-printed thousands of those old images)

Russ passed last year......RIP good friend...……...
PAULETTE and "Two Cats and THE DOUG"

Whereabouts unknown...……...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Abnorm for this post:
  • Cammalu (06-07-2019)
My great uncle took part in the invasion of Normandy, captured, spent 18 months in a German POW camp.
Thank you for your service, Uncle Eddie.
One Stinkin Badge!
I know a lot of planning for D day didn't turn out as planned........bombs missed the German targets before the troops landed, both the bunkers the Germans were shooting from and the roads and bridges to cut off the Germans from sending reinforcements, tanks meant for the beach invasion sunk before reaching the beach, paratroopers went way off their targeted landing area and still they persevered that day until they reached their victory.
Scary as hell, all of it! So thankful for those who sacrificed! I literally can't imagine the hell endured!
I realized yesterday my Dad was somewhere in Europe on D-Day, but I don't know where he was because he NEVER talked about the war.  He had some pictures he let us see, but never any stories about what he went on.  Then it dawned on me that he was only 20 on D-Day.  He and my Mom did go to France a few years before he died to the American cemeteries with a group of his Army buddies and were honored in a ceremony by the French.  He said they went to places they had stayed and there were old people who remembered them.
My father was in the OSS (Office of Strategic Services) in WWII ... precursor to the CIA. They trained him to speak Siamese at UC Berkeley. He said he fought the war on a typewriter.

So no great war hero stories here. My heart goes out to all the people who participated, those who died or were injured, and their families.
Peace...