Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart deli items - reviews please
When I overnight at a Walmart, I always take a quick look at their deli section, partly because it's usually near the door, partly because there's lots of ready-to-eat stuff.
Plus, there's the whole Karma thing about buying at least something.

Last night, I was intrigued by their take-and-bake bread sticks / garlic bread.
It was $4 and looked like it could be two modest meals.
Has anyone made those on a van-sized gas stove?
The directions were oven only, but I figure there's more leeway for something like that (vs pizza).
I'm thinking... aroma therapy! Smile
(Yes, ToastMaster Abnorm, that would be grilled-not-toasted! Smile )

They also have small pizzas, that are sometimes heavily discounted when old.
Last night, there were a few cheese-only smalls for about 2 1/2 bucks ($5 regular price).
I was sorely tempted to buy one at that price point.
Not sure how pre-baked they are.

In both cases, they're small enough to put half in my cooler, and eat half immediately.

My Tips:
Their subs aren't as good as Subway's, however, late at night, they almost always have age-discounted ones for around 3 1/2 bucks for a footlong.
Since I usually pop in around midnight, if there's a type I particularly like, I'll sometimes buy it.

The little 50 cent pies are a nice treat, and are just big enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Their bakery donuts aren't as good as donut chains, but are much better than the prefab boxes. At 58 cents, they're also a frugal treat.

One non-deli recent purchase:
I've been having milk cravings, after empirically determining that a half gallon container of milk will not survive in my cooler.
I checked out the individual portion shelf-stable cartons, and they were horrendously expensive (about a buck per cup-sized carton). Just below them was a 10-pack of "YooHoo" chocolate "drinks" for $3, so after reading the ingredients, decided to give them a try.
Not great, but not bad. They go very well with one of the 50 cent apple pies, IMO. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
I like their discount sliced meats and cheeses.  Many have a discount shelf near the back of the store with some great prices. I have found dented plastic bottles at half price.  Once I found a whole bin of fiber scrubs pads for 10 cents a package normally $3.  I bought several years worth.  

Aldys has discount meat sales every morning. 1/2 price meat makes your food dollar really stretch.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
I get shelf stable milk at dollar tree for a buck a quart.
just toss the left over if no fridge , still cheaper than those cuppers.
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
I agree those $0.50 pies are good. I generally get a couple when I go there, pecan and apple are my go to's.

I haven't met a donut (glazed) I don't like.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
Heating up deli food... I use an induction cook top and a griddle. I put a piece of pizza or what ever on the griddle then I turn a metal bowl over the top and it works like a small oven. The bowl is about as big around as the griddle. I’m betting it might work on any other heat, too. You could preheat the griddle and bowl. Hot pads... I’m also thinking the magnet part of the induction cook top may aid in heating the bowl. It is well worth a try.

I have been known to drive over to Walmart just to get one of those apple fritter donuts for 58 cents. Meier has deboned rotisserie chicken marked down some times. Costco has the best rotisserie chicken for $5 each. You can use those to make a lot of different meals. Some times I’ve gotten lemon chicken breasts marked down at Walmart. Those make really good chicken salad.
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
Thanks everyone for the tips! Smile

Popeye: Yup, tried one of those years ago, and after the spoilage picked up one. Smile
When I made healthy-mac-and-cheese-from-scratch last week, I bought a pint bottle of regular milk for a little over a dollar... and bought a double-chocolate cake donut to ensure the rest was used up quickly. Smile

Brian: After reading that, I, of course, looked for pecan, and didn't find any. Sad
Must be a regional thing. When I was in MO, they had pumpkin, but not here in WI.
I'll eat glazed donuts, but my preference is for cake donuts.
Double or triple chocolates are my favorites, cuz there's no such thing as too much chocolate. Smile

Bought a marked-down sub late last night, and it was still cool this morning (all the other markdowns were gone by my first morning visit).
Since it's not as tasty as Subway's, it lasted all day. Smile
Had one YooHoo, and a mini-pack of Carmel M&M's for dessert. Reasonably frugal for zero cooking, and makes me feel zero guilt for "camping" here.

(04-28-2019, 01:19 AM)Snikwahjm Wrote: Heating up deli food... I use an induction cook top and a griddle. I put a piece of pizza or what ever on the griddle then I turn a metal bowl over the top and it works like a small oven. The bowl is about as big around as the griddle. I’m betting it might work on any other heat, too. You could preheat the griddle and bowl.
Thanks Snik!
I only have a portable/camping gas stove.
I do have a shallow metal bowl, that would fit over my frypan.
Hmmm... I could start by frying it, then turn off the gas, add the bowl, and let it sit for a while.
What do y'all think: try it?!? Smile

There's 3 boxes of garlic bread/sticks that should be marked down late tonight.
It's supposed to be somewhat cool overnight, so it would make a nice breakfast and excuse to use the stove. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
My bowl is one big honkin’ bowl. It does heat up without condensing... well so far anyhow.
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
I woosed out.
Glad I did, cuz next day, they had marked-down garlic bread, which I figured would be safe (since the bread was already baked). I grilled it in my frypan, and enjoyed it enough to eat 3/4 of the loaf.

A few hours later, had my first diarrhea.
Over the next couple of hours, made 4 bathroom runs before I decided to take my first ever Loperamide (generic Immodium, a non-prescription anti-diarrhea drug).
It appeared to help and I didn't notice any bad side effects. By then it was 3am, so fell asleep easily.

I've been stocking Loperamide for about 11 years, at about a buck every 3~ years, so that feels like a decent payout.

Snik: I'd never had a Walmart apple fritter. Decided to try one, based on your testimonial - tastee. Smile

Brian: I'm now at a Walmart near Wausau WI, and they have a ton of flavors of the wee pies, including pecan. I had thought I'd already tried one, but it looked totally unfamiliar. I bought one, and will eat it soon. Smile
How are the lemon pies?
This is basically the last Walmart I'll be at for about 2-4 weeks, so tomorrow I'll be stocking up on a few items.
Tried 3 "Asian markets" in Wausau, looking for butane canisters, with zero success. Will probably buy propane here.

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
delete pls
Brings back good memories about K-Mart subs I used to love. I had a very remote bear camp that a friend went up 2 days earlier than me. He was so happy when we arrived & when I saw he had a 1/2 a cooler of K-Mart subs he was tired of eating I was in Hogie Heaven!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson