Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Getting registered as an RV
Crusing around YT, I came across another video of someone who was trying to get a non-RV vehicle registered as an RV.

Could someone please explain why some people think this is necessary?  I'm apparently missing something here.

If you're converting your box truck into a full-fledged RV and pouring tens of thousands of dollars into it, okay, I guess I can see it -- you want the money back if it's destroyed.

But for the rest of us, wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to just keep the build simple and relatively inexpensive, and not try to collect on the interior in case of an accident?  And it would probably have to be a not-at-fault accident to even collect on that.

Try to differentiate between facts and opinions, if possible.  Or at least label them.

Only thing that I'm aware of re: changing vehicle to RV status in Ohio, if you live in a city that does inspections a RV is exempt. So this and what you mentioned about $ value.

RV Vs truck owner is like everything else today, coverage will vary from state to state and even from city to city within that state, talking to a different agency with the same brand, IE Geico, Allstate, Nationwide, State Farm. My experience in Pennsylvania, Ohio. Coverage writers talked about crime and vandalism dictating the price.
So yes, inexpensive build and willing to bite the bullet should the unfortunate occur.
Generally speaking, a vehicle legally converted to and registered as an RV, motorhome, or in some states, housecar or housetruck, are much cheaper to insure than the commercial rates for that same vehicle. 

The difference can be hundreds of dollars per year.
Wondering about wandering
Unless I was in a state where converting to an RV registration was easy I'd probably forgo it. If you have a lot or a high value of possessions in the interior, renters insurance might be a better way to go, that covers your stuff anywhere in the world and it's less than 100 a year for 10k in coverage give or take.

You would need an address to say you're renting at.

My brother did professional photography for a few years and had an 8k camera/lenses stolen while in Africa, his renters insurance covered it, albeit it, it was a minor pain in the ass for him to go through the process, took about six months to get the check. The adjuster said had it happened in the states it would have been much faster and easier with a simple police it was his round about way of saying if it ever happens again, file it stolen in the states.
I recently got my Box truck registered as a motorhome in Florida...the only difficult part was finding DoT employees who knew how the process works. Other than a signed affidavit regarding use as an RV, there was no inspections or anything, just a little paperwork.

I still haven't found anyone to give me a comprehensive policy and I took a break from trying...just liability still. So the reasons are:

1) Box Trucks are registered as a commercial vehicle when they are born. My commercial liability policy is $1050/yr, but adding comprehensive would be another $1100 and would not cover the expensive build components. When I finally find that mythical company willing to underwrite a DIY RV, full coverage would be around $400/yr I believe.

2) registered commercial truck must legally stop at weigh least that's my understanding. RV's don't

3) you apparently can't cross the border in a commercial vehicle without appropriate paperwork, that apparently a private individual can't get.

4) Changing private vehicles like a Sprinter to RV has the upside of being honest with the insurance company as to use and eliminates potential claim problems. No idea what the odds of having a claim problem may be...
Somewhere online, several months ago, I read about a bus or truck owner getting some kind of documentation that recognized the commercialness (?) of the vehicle, but said that the vehicle was not being used commercially.

Here are a couple of websites that might help with insurance on conversions:

How to Get Bus Conversion Insurance:

Skoolie Insurance / Finally! Insurance for School Bus Conversions:
This turned out to be an unsuccessful program, BUT they DO insure towable Tiny Homes. The difference is that a skoolie has an engine and a tiny home doesn't. **I** don't understand the difference.

AIS Bus Conversion Insurance:

And here, there are some comments that Progressive WILL insure a bus as long as you DON'T call it an RV, just a private bus for non-commercial use.

I don't know. I think I'll try to build a vardo -- at least that's insurable because it's just a trailer.
State Farm says that if you have a trailer and you pull it with your insured vehicle it is covered under the vehicle insurance. I was considering building a vardo on my 4x8 utility trailer. In Missouri you can now get permanent plates for your trailer with no inspections and I'm sure many other states do the same. It would still be just a utility trailer on the title and perfectly legal and insured going down the road. I like this guy's work and was using it as a guideline to design one. I have it drawn up on my CAD system.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
aussie vardo,the door needs to be on the other side or in the back

why i started with an rv,all licenced,legal,just a guy in a rv,the propane tank doesn't even get noticed
MoTruckDriver: "State Farm says that if you have a trailer and you pull it with your insured vehicle it is covered under the vehicle insurance."

Yes, I think that is mostly the case everywhere in the U.S. But I think that mostly covers the liability, not the trailer itself, and certainly not any contents.

That's a nice little vardo! I like the Reading type, with the slanted sides.

Somewhere, I read that longer trailers are easier to haul than small ones. I don't know why that is, but it's an interesting concept.
(08-22-2018, 11:51 AM)TrainChaser Wrote: Somewhere, I read that longer trailers are easier to haul than small ones.  I don't know why that is, but it's an interesting concept.

Easier to back up.  Short trailers will jack knife really quick.  Going forward a short trailer won't do the double tracking that a long trailer will do so you don't have to worry about knocking down a stop sign going around a tight corner.  Takes a little practice but eventually pulling a trailer gets to be like second nature.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)