Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOOK REVIEW: SCOTT D COVEY
I just finished reading GREY REDEMPTION and REDEMPTIONS BULLET. Neither one is a conventional thriller. It takes a different kind of mind to come up with some of the things that I read. Now I understand why Scott fits in so well. 

No spoilers, but many of the things that I have seen him do are explained. 

Do not get him angry. At the least you will die a horrible death in print for everyone to see. 

I am hoping for a 3rd book.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • Cammalu (07-25-2018), Scott7022 (07-26-2018), AbuelaLoca (07-26-2018), heron (07-26-2018), Texjbird (08-24-2018), RoamingRaven (09-17-2019)
Thanks, John.

I asked on another thread what you thought of the book before I saw this.

Blushing.

I don't know why but when I have a friend read one of my books I always feel a little embarrassed. Most certainly was embarrassed when my Mom got ahold of Grey Redemption...I pushed that one a little too far. I also had the worlds worst editor on that project. Being a total noob I made every mistake I could make with the biz end of that one.

Perhaps a little explanation. The genre is Military Thriller but while the Bond, Bollen books stopped at the bedroom door or sheet drop. I didn't. I wanted to push the genre to a little step or six into the erotic; geared toward a male perspective. Less shirt tearing rippling abs as found in women's writing along this style. Think Diana Gabaldon and the Outlander series. Went too far with Grey; although it was immensely popular with ladies in Europe. Tapered it back in Redemptions Bullet and took Rhys (main character) way out on the curve of DARK. Redemption's Bullet I am proud of. Grey I would love to do a rewrite and edit it myself...But contracts say I can't.

So to aspiring writers do your research before you jump on the publishing deal. That could be more of a nightmare than the wall of rejection letters. Not that we get physical letters anymore. The second piece of advice, type every day for four hours and if you have nothing sit and look at the screen for four hours or till your eyes bleed.

For aspiring readers. If you can read past the bad edit Grey is a different story in this genre written in the first person so you'll feel as damaged as Rhys. First person perspective is one of the hardest styles of writing and as such, almost nothing is written in this genre in this way. Redemption's Bullet is more traditional and I edited with the help of an editor friend. I broke a few rules but I knew I was breaking them. The sex is dialled back a few stops from 11 but it is still titillating.
https://www.amazon.com/Scott-D.-Covey/e/B00Q9A2IZK

Secret for YARCers

In the first book Grey Redemption all the characters names, other than Rhys, are from my muse/crazycatlady, and friend cats names. I used her cats names and personality to keep the characters clear in my head.

In the second book, I used a few friends and fans as characters, Sometimes using both their first and last name. LOL! Just to show my appreciation for their support and kindness. Except for Pippin. Pippin is my friend Jay Macdonald's bike that is always trying to kill him. The events in Vegas are loosely based on a real event that went horribly wrong after a paranoid shop owner thought ICE was something else.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • Cammalu (07-26-2018), GotSmart (07-26-2018)
Editing ~~~ It is not easy finding all the typos. I saw a couple. 

What you did to the Contessa was horrible. I have never seen that ever in print. People are going to have to buy the book to find out. (If you dare!).  Undecided

Both together were a great read, and as a trilogy would be even better. IMO, you killed the wrong president.  Big Grin
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
Yes, betrayal is not an issue Rhys does well with. The second Book I thought I went farther with the Chechen. I have had fans say they had nightmares about that one. Probably the Contessa was so disturbing because of the first person perspective. I don't want for this to appear as a BUY MY BOOK thread. I tossed up the Amazon link to my Author Page on Amazon as it has some cool videos and stuff to read. The blogs are about 15 months behind, by design, while I write them, for the most part, the people that post them keep the timeline dated for security and privacy reasons.

But borrow the book, or download it off of torrents I know it is on the web in cracked form. Enjoy it, as John says if you dare, I am not looking to get rich off writing. Or off the backs of my friends here on the site.

Steal it! It's ok I won't see as betrayal HONEST! LOL! I'll even sign the sheets if you print it out for reading. I till enjoy holding a book when I read. But I will sign your torrent prints too.

Yes, I know that ain't right from an author perspective. Anyone surprised?
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
  • GotSmart (07-27-2018), heron (07-27-2018)
Not surprised a bit. But if I can't borrow it, there's no way I'd steal the work of any artist.
One gloriously stinkin' badge.
ROOIRIA
FULL MONTY!!!!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to heron for this post:
  • Scott7022 (07-28-2018), RoamingRaven (09-17-2019)
Scott
(First time I call you that ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Tongue )

Beastmaster ! Scott somehow seems so "Ain't Right"

Thanks for offering your book up to the members here !
I remember a book in the 70s? that was titled "Steal This Book" !
I get lots of books on Amz that are free for so many hours as promos .
Maybe you could set that up for a short time and only post the time/date here ?? Just a thought.

OH , BTW "scary Cool cool" is my review.
(I just downloaded it telepathically from your brain , of course with all your edits in place..
Us Weirdo Overlords have that ability which I'm sure you already know . That's how I recognized you as an Overlord in the first place.... ) ,
I also can sense some non Overlord rolled eyes Rolleyes reading this ,, so for them , IT'S TRUE I TELL YA !

T W O h s,,,, P. O.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Scott7022 (07-28-2018)
(07-27-2018, 07:36 AM)rvpopeye Wrote: Scott
(First time I call you that ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Tongue  )

Beastmaster ! Scott somehow seems so "Ain't Right"

Thanks for offering your book up to the members here !
I remember a book in the 70s? that was titled "Steal This Book" !
I get lots of books on Amz that are free for so many hours as promos .
Maybe you could set that up for a short time and only post the time/date here ?? Just a thought.

OH , BTW "scary Cool cool" is my review.
(I just downloaded it telepathically from your brain , of course with all your edits in place..
Us Weirdo Overlords have that ability which I'm sure you already know . That's how I recognized you as an Overlord in the first place.... ) ,
I also can sense some non Overlord rolled eyes Rolleyes reading this ,, so for them , IT'S TRUE I TELL YA !

T W O h s,,,, P. O.
Yes! I'd do that! And Popeye, I believe that, absolootly!
ROOIRIA
FULL MONTY!!!!
Aaabsolootly ! Cool
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • heron (07-27-2018)
(07-27-2018, 07:31 AM)heron Wrote: Not surprised a bit. But if I can't borrow it, there's no way I'd steal the work of any artist.

Your not stealing from Me. We are stealing from BIG Publisher in one case and Amazon in the second case, well I guess to be really correct for Grey we steal twice from Amazon. They won't notice. I will look into seeing if I can do a freebie as the pirate suggested. I won't be able to do that with Grey as pricing is the sole responsibility of the greedy publisher. But I should be able to do that with Bullet. 

Bullet is the better story...I think it is 3 bucks for the conscience intact version. LOL. Perhaps Gary can post a link and get a revenue kick back and then I'll mail the royalties back to him and if we are lucky Amazon will lose money, the site will have some revenue for costs, everyone has a good read, we stick it to big BIZ and...

Tomorrow THE WORLD!!!!!

Sorry it's early

nothing to see here
  • heron (07-28-2018), rvpopeye (07-28-2018)
Ha! Yes! I do like getting Amazon twice!
ROOIRIA
FULL MONTY!!!!