Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
roof vent
took off the leaky roof vent and it a plastic crap version but i have a new tube of sikaflex and can make it work

on ebay they have these http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-RV-Roof-Vent-complete-garnish-12-volt-FAN-lid-Ventline-SMOKE-V2094SP-34/321093781001?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
metal frame,little fan $40

then there is the fantastic fan min.$150 of which i spent on dragons and website

so do i cleanup my crappy vent and save for a fantastic or get the ebay vent?

this is a very low priority thing,the goal is not to leak water of which i can do with the one i have and the power of sikaflex
Buy once cry once?
Get the fantastic fan... whatever it takes. They're SO much better than the cheap fan/vent.
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
I am working on my vent right now. No $$$ for the fancy fan. I am wiring and rigging in a computer muffin fan. It sure moves a lot of air. $16. I don't think it will look elegant, but it sure will be better than the old fan that stopped working.
[Image: d07e317192cfec244a53e9cba4187b4b.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blanch for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (09-26-2017)
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)Blanch Wrote: I am working on my vent right now. No $$$ for the fancy fan. I am wiring and rigging in a computer muffin fan. It sure moves a lot of air. $16. I don't think it will look elegant, but it sure will be better than the old fan that stopped working.

That's a great idea to replace the fan with a higher-volume computer fan.  I had one of the old fan vents in my Bigfoot's bath, and the plastic lid deteriorated from sun exposure to the point that it disintegrated and I had to have the vent replaced.  I did the Sikaflex thing patching the holes until I could get it replaced.

I already had a factory-installed manual FF over the bed in that camper,  so I pulled that one out and put it in the bath... and then replaced the one over the bed with a rain sensor model.

Fantastic Vent is a great company with a great product, and solid customer service.
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Hepcat for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (09-26-2017)
(09-22-2017, 03:10 PM)Gary Wrote: so do i cleanup my crappy vent and save for a fantastic or get the ebay vent?
Whichever way you go, get one of these to go with it, and face the opening rearward of course.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/ite...cover/1733&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp1733&sc_intid=1733?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_High&affiliateid=6313&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlNrihu651gIVDZF-Ch2T6QqMEAQYAyABEgLiQPD_BwE
I had a set up similar to this on my old class A. I loved the fact that I can leave the vent open in a heavy downpour.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
ended up cleaning up the really crappy all plastic vent and sikaflexing it on,shouldnt leak and when the real rains come i will tarp it,save up for a fantastic or good ol' fashion all metal one

i like those rain cover but am leery of making this thing an inch taller then it already is
(09-22-2017, 05:37 PM)Gary Wrote: i like those rain cover but am leery of making this thing an inch taller then it already is
 I understand, although I never had an ounce of trouble with the one I had, I never tried it out on a low clearance bridge.
Mine had a small 15 watt solar panel mounted right on the rain cover. It seemed to power the small fan just fine. It was great for rainy days that might have normally been stuffy inside from having to keep the windows shut.
PS, I like those metal covers when I can find them. Haven't looked lately.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
My rig is 10'6" to the top of the AC shroud ,I don't try to do fast food or bank drive thru windows but never had any trouble with bridges or trees (the tractor trailers keep that a non issue) ...The cover adds 4-6" to the height of the vent and makes it WAY more useful IMO ...
If you do get a Fantastic I would recommend a cover with the high volume capability of the fan considered so as to not restrict it.
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Ballenxj (09-23-2017)
(09-22-2017, 07:55 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: My rig is 10'6" to the top of the AC shroud ,I don't try to do fast food or bank drive thru windows but never had any trouble with bridges or trees (the tractor trailers keep that a non issue) ...The cover adds 4-6" to the height of the vent and makes it WAY more useful IMO ...
If you do get a Fantastic I would recommend a cover with the high volume capability of the fan considered so as to not restrict it.
Speaking of trees...
Mrs b learned about trees the hard way hahaha
I was helping her from outside Bertha get into a spot on a city street.  I was behind the rig and she was pulling in, all of a sudden this damned o tree reached down and ripped a panel right off the roof.  Trees have no manners.  Thankfully the tree showed mercy and held the panel, suspended by branches.  Mrs b ran to the house we were parking in front of and grabbed the ladder, climbed up there with the speed of a thousand cheetahs and retrieved the stolen panel.  Thankfully the panel was just fine and I was able to re VHM it to Bertha's roof.
Point of the story is that I was supposed to measure her and never did.  Thanks for the reminder.
And also, everyone should know Mrs b ripped a panel off and the tree saved it, it's an awesome story.
Cheerio Pip Pip
bLEEp
This message brought to you by sleep deprivation and oregons finest.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to bLEEp for this post:
  • Ballenxj (09-23-2017), AbuelaLoca (09-26-2017), GotSmart (10-15-2017), heron (10-27-2017)