Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Guide to Cell Plans
Chris and Cherie have just posted their latest (March 1st 2018) online guide:

Guide to Unlimited Cellular Data Plans: Understanding the Limits
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
  • S Cello (03-03-2018), AbuelaLoca (03-03-2018), Ballenxj (03-03-2018)
Thanks for the notification. I've been using their site a lot lately as I'm transitioning from building to getting ready for the road. Really a great info resource. I think I'll be becoming a member...very high quality content like that warrants reward.
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
when it comes to mobile technology they are the go to people
I have no need for an unlimited data plan for my smart phone. I really don’t want to pay for data I will never use.

How do I get a good deal on just talk and text?
1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
(03-03-2018, 01:45 PM)RoamingKat Wrote: I have no need for an unlimited data plan for my smart phone.   I really don’t want to pay for data I will never use.

I'm currently still in my sticks n bricks.  I have a Verizon Plan that gives me unlimited talk and text, no data, for only $30 a month.  They bill one of my credit cards automatically every month.  I bought my phone outright.

The only downside I've found is I can't dial 411 and get information if I don't know a phone number.
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
That $30 plan works for me, too.
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
(03-03-2018, 01:45 PM)RoamingKat Wrote: How do I get a good deal on just talk and text?

Over time I ended up with 3 cheap setups.  I keep them because I live out in BFE, and plan on boondocking where cell is limited.  All three of these worked at the RTR site.

Verizon 3g
If you pay $15/mo on a grandfathered verizon phone you'll get unlimited talk, unlimited text , and unlimited (3G) data.  As seen on Jim's thread on CRVL.  I usually only pay $5/mo so I just get data.  I run my sticks/bricks network on this one, believe it or not.  I cancelled my DSL that was only minimally faster and cost $70/mo.

AT&T MVNO Airvoice
I have a $10/mo Airvoice account.   It will use .10/min, .10/text, .066 per MB and rollover unused funds.  I have over $100 in my account because I don't consume it all.

Caveat:  I use google voice for texting.  It goes over data and so is much cheaper than SMS proper.

T-mobile grandfathered prepaid
.10min, .10/text, no data.  The winner here is that you can keep it alive for $10/yr since the expiration is 365 days.  I have over $100 on this one, too, and growing since I don't make $10 worth of calls in a year. 

I use this in a $60 dual-sim android phone with 700MB/mo of free Freedompop data (AT&T "MVNO") in the other slot for data.  Again, Google Voice for texting.
---
frater/jason - FT 2018.  Retired/boondocking 2020.  
159" Promaster, 570w:220Ah, 35gal fresh
twitter | RVwiki
(03-03-2018, 02:12 PM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 01:45 PM)RoamingKat Wrote: I have no need for an unlimited data plan for my smart phone.   I really don’t want to pay for data I will never use.

I'm currently still in my sticks n bricks.  I have a Verizon Plan that gives me unlimited talk and text, no data, for only $30 a month.  They bill one of my credit cards automatically every month.  I bought my phone outright

The only downside I've found is I can't dial 411 and get information if I don't know a phone number.

I haven't tried this on a cell.  For nationwide free information I dial    1-800-free411  You have to listen to some advertizing as that's how the service is funded.  The prompts ask  city and state.......business, residential or government.
800#s, local or nationwide

Just a warning....I have a Texas/deep south accent.  That system hears things I didn't ask for sometimes.  Big Grin Sometimes I just crack up because it's response is so off base.     Angry When I'm in a hurry it ain't so funny.

Jewellann
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Texjbird for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (03-05-2018)