Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st impressions Ryobi 900w/700w propane generator $299
    I posted this on the Dark Side's forum in response to a thread on this generator.

"Hubby picked up the generator from Home Despot .  I read the instructions, screwed on a 1# cylinder of propane. Then I poured in the supplied bottle of oil.  Pushed the prime button for two seconds and then pulled the starter cord.  I fully expected to have ask Hubby to start it as I NEVER have been able to start any outboard engine or lawnmower on my own (you chicks out there need to know this).  Third pull and it started right up. Yay!  I then plugged in Hubby's CTEK MUS 25000 (25amp) battery charger to his first two of four 6v (225 ah) AGM batteries that have had 3 months since a full charge. The engine chugged slightly when the charger first went on and then ran smoothly. 

I didn't feel like babysitting the generator to protect it from theft. So I opened the van windows and put the generator inside the sliding door.  It sounds like the van is on a low idle. Of course I guess I should make the California warning not to be inside the van while the generator is running for any one who doesn't know about carbon monoxide.

I wanted to get my initial test done before sunset, so I charged the first set of batteries for 75 minutes.  I then did the second set for another 75 minutes.  When I took the cylinder off, it felt more than 1/2 full.  I didn't do any precise measurements because all I want is to be able use a battery charger to give my batteries a couple of hours of bulk charge. This will do the job. Solar will finish the rest.  Someone else can do the numbers.

So my impression? Lightweight, cute, and quiet enough. The ability to use a 1# cylinder is nice, but I will be using a 20# tank.  Something very important is that I can start the thing without asking for help from someone else.  Many of you may laugh at that, but it's a big problem for some of us weaklings.  I also like that I don't have to run the tank empty or store it with gasoline in it.  The photo shows my husband's hand for perspective.

I think I'll keep it."
Ted
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to TedOnWalkabout for this post:
  • rvpopeye (02-21-2018), frater secessus (02-21-2018), Snikwahjm (02-21-2018), Ballenxj (02-21-2018), tx2sturgis (02-21-2018), AbuelaLoca (02-21-2018)
A 700 watt propane powered generator? Hey, that's pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up and review.  Cool
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
Looks like it takes up less room than a 20LB propane tank would.

Pretty neat product.

When BUlk charging well depleted batteries, I'd want to max it out.

You can hook up two plug in charggin sources to run in parallel.

I will somewhat regularly parallel my 25 amp schumacher sc2500a "intellicharger' with my 40 amp meanwell for bulk charging. No magic blue smoke has yet escaped. I disconnect the schumacher when the battery can accept less than 40 amps. this is usually about 22 minutes when I have taken the battery to 50 or so from full ( out of 90)

Plug in Chargers only get weird when the battery voltage reaches the absorption setpoint of one or the other, but best to start them at nearly the same time with a low battery.

You might be able to parallel that Iota DLS-30 with a 10 amp charger, and remain under the 700 watt total, and run the generator for less time, until the solar wattage alone can hold the batteries at absorption voltage.

But if it is quiet, and you got the time, no need.