Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ny times article about the rtr
I'm fairly new to both CRVL and this forum. I found out during my very first post when I expressed my negative opinion about the BLM. I was contacted by the admin. I'm trying to find one where a person can say whats on their minds about anything connected to Vandwelling/ Nomad life. Things are not always peaches and cream. CRVL is was said by mentioning the BLM in a negative light was "political". WTH? Anyways...sorry...I've had a heck of trip just now. Rig broke down and cost me $250 in parts and 3 hour delay. Could have been worse. There were many blessing in the challenges I faced today.
(02-01-2018, 07:46 PM)RepublicOfTXPatriot Wrote: I'm fairly new to both CRVL and this forum. I found out during my very first post when I expressed my negative opinion about the BLM. I was contacted by the admin. I'm trying to find one where a person can say whats on their minds about anything connected to Vandwelling/ Nomad life. Things are not always peaches and cream. CRVL is was said by mentioning the BLM in a negative light was "political". WTH?  Anyways...sorry...I've had a heck of trip just now. Rig broke down and cost me $250 in parts and 3 hour delay. Could have been worse. There were many blessing in the challenges I faced today.

this forum came to be because of the extreme one sided censorship of crvl,we have yet to delete someones opinion here,we dont want common politics or religion but everything else is fair game 
forum rules
One thing that Bob doesn't seem to want to face is that politics is the THE reason why so many people are living in their vans, trucks and cars.
(02-02-2018, 01:03 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: One thing that Bob doesn't seem to want to face is that politics  is the THE reason why so many people are living in their vans, trucks and cars.

Exactly !! Too much regulation, taxes, etc etc ...gov intrusion= loss of Liberty.  Therefore I think honest discussion could be a thread just for that subject. And like anything else..if you don't like it..don't go in the thread. IMO. 

‘They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.’ (Benjamin Franklin)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RepublicOfTXPatriot for this post:
  • Ballenxj (02-02-2018)
(02-02-2018, 02:46 PM)RepublicOfTXPatriot Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 01:03 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: One thing that Bob doesn't seem to want to face is that politics  is the THE reason why so many people are living in their vans, trucks and cars.

Exactly !! Too much regulation, taxes, etc etc ...gov intrusion= loss of Liberty.  Therefore I think honest discussion could be a thread just for that subject. And like anything else..if you don't like it..don't go in the thread. IMO. 

‘They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.’ (Benjamin Franklin)
 I think that's what we're hoping for around here. Cool
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
Not that anyone else really cares but the duplex condo i am in is just getting old, taxes/fees maintenance costs are making it a less than profitable enterprise for the landlord/owner.  Theres been assessments from the HOA in 2 out of the last 3 years, and more to come. I think the guy is selling because he’s not making enough off it as compared to some other investment. The other side is occupied by a 72 yr old guy who has COPD and heart problems and exists off of social security. To the landlords credit, he has never raised that guys rent in 9 years.  

I think I’m safe for now as no one is very interested in the place it seems. When I get notice that it is sold, i will have 30 days to vacate, whch should be enough time for me to get the vehicle equipped and start out.  

I still am thankful for what I learned through reading old crvl posts, especially SW’s electrical threads and replies. Thats probably helped me the most. I’m very glad to leave all their drama, and posters consumed with increasing their post counts and reputation points. 

Thanks Gary for the planning and taking the leap of faith to get this one started. And thanks to your selected mods, who are not abusing their powers like what I saw and experienced “over there”.

Shy
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • S Cello (02-04-2018), Cammalu (02-04-2018), Snikwahjm (02-04-2018), RoamingKat (02-14-2018)
I first became aware of Bob this January on U-tube, while researching DIY-cheaper TINY-house building, & Greenhouse construction.
At first what he said sounded interesting enough, so I registered. BUT in less than a month there, I had some serious concerns:
1. WHY does he put only himself on TOP of Forum, as if to say I am your messiah  ........(??)
Just as I've told every md, so I have news for Bob: "I know my Savior, & it is not you" .
&
2. And Carolyn ? - Never impressed me from the very start. Why? - She came right out & disclosed HOW $ MUCH she spends on her monthly Budget, & I thought Pffft, how in hell is anybody else... who out of sheer financial necessity is FORCED to either exist in a car, or wander the streets homeless & aimless (as they've done in this neighborhood for 30+ years, while then burning down the very UN-occupied houses that they shacked up in  smoking crap like meth)), going to LIVE high off the hog like Carolyn apparently does. - And to think there are people who actually praise such nonsense.
&
WHY does Bob (with a present fully-decked-out VAN that he tells people he paid like $19,000 for) then
tell people "You can live on $500 a month & comfortably “ - when he knows
that THE system will be supporting such misguided souls stuck in the middle of NOwhere out of gas, hungry & broke.
Somehow that seems to fly into the face of "I CARE soo much about you", that I'm spending my life-long day trying to get you INTO this lifestyle.
How do most of their (almost) proclamations even make good sense ??

The way I understand "Caring" = you help people OUT of the frying pan, at the least, & empower them to enable self to greater Independence.  Anybody else think that too ?
Annie, you haven’t been around that long but Bob wasn’t making the money he does now for that long. Way back he was just trying, like many others, to live on an extremely limited income and he found ways to do that through vandwelling, living on public land, etc.

Then he found ways to share that info. I’m positive he never dreamed his help and information would get so large that he could actually make a decent living on it but he has.

I’ve met people that are living ok on about 500 a month by following his advice. They basically sit in one place for quite a while (BLM) then will move a few times a year only. They are extremely frugal and some how manage. I wouldn’t want to be stuck like that but some people have no choice.

That’s where Bob and others come in. There is a lot of useful info to be had on his forum and videos and this one.
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 7 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • rvpopeye (03-31-2018), Everyroadleadshome (03-31-2018), Heidi Mull (03-31-2018), AbuelaLoca (04-01-2018), frater secessus (04-01-2018), Rocki5pr (04-02-2018), heron (04-03-2018)
(03-31-2018, 07:10 PM)Cammalu Wrote: Then he found ways to share that info. I’m positive he never dreamed his help and information would get so large that he could actually make a decent living on it but he has.

There's a life lesson in this.......unfortunately a lot of people can't spread their wings and take risks doing what they love to do,  but there are so many things in life people love to do and wish they could make money doing it......life, bills, kids, etc etc etc don't stop so many never get that chance.....But if you spend a long time doing something you are passionate about, sometimes you start making money, and sometimes you start making a lot of money.  I think Bob found himself in that position.  And good for him, he followed his heart and it paid off.  I may not agree with a lot of how he does things, but I don't have any ill feelings towards him profiting off it either, it's his time after all and time is money.  People support him because they choose to.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • Heidi Mull (03-31-2018), Cammalu (04-01-2018), AbuelaLoca (04-01-2018)
(02-01-2018, 11:24 AM)Putts Wrote: +1 and thanks for the linky---I knew I had seen it over there.

I know there are good reasons for frustration with CRVL, but I also sympathise with the difficulties of being in Bob's shoes. He's done a lot to help people get on the road. I too can forgive him for putting himself in a position of great influence without being perfect.

"I've never met a human that wasn't incredibly beautiful and fatally flawed." - Me

His videos, and the success of many others he's showcased, did give me the realization that it could be done...an if they could do it in a cargo van with crappy plywood and 2x4s, I sure as heck could do it more livably in a stepvan with good materials, skills, tools, and, maybe most importantly, the luxury of time and a half decent amount of money. That the thought in my head, "this is totally doable" exists is because Bob showed me it was.

If he does manage to lure some people out who aren't cut out for it, whether they end up not liking it or are just not capable enough...well, Master Card sure as hell leads a lot more people into crippling debt. Unlike Master Card, I do think Bob means well.

All that said, you see where I'm posting. I like people who can think for themselves, and I like places where I can think and say what I want. CVRL seems like a shallow pool in that way. Oh well, Burning Man has become a cliche. In some ways success is its own failing with this sort of thing.
After a few responses, I decided to read this thread from the start. & Found this, and I agree.
Thanks for saying it so well.
Yes, there are actually quite alot of things I learned over there; & I even started my own BUILD-thread there Big Grin
One that suits one of my many passions >>>> Gardening. - And tho I can't have one on wheels now, I used it to DREAM of having one in the future. -
It's the one thread I asked about being able to copy/paste over to here, & people said "Go ahead." so Thanks ! Smile