Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, have I mentioned how much I hate computers?
I cured it telepathically with my alien brain..... Huh Confused Rolleyes Dodgy  Big Grin You're welcome.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
13 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 5 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

THANKS, RVPOPEYE!  

I appreciate it very much!
(03-29-2018, 12:34 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: S Cello:  If it turns out to actually work, I know you'll share it with us, eh TC?

(sigh)  I don't know if it worked or not.  I may have accidentally cancelled it when I got a warning that something had been changed.  But the update warning didn't show up, but it spent 1-1.5 hrs 'configuring' before it restarted.

When it restarted, it was very slow.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.

Then I did an overnight Shut Down last night, figuring it might need some 'rest'. Dodgy 

Restarted it this morning, and I couldn't get online (forget the term it used).  Shut it down a couple more times.

And then... suddenly... it's working right and has speeded up.  But what in all my blundering around did the trick?

So the answer to your question was either Yes, No, or Maybe.

Good Grief! Whatever did the trick, it is time to create a new restore point. 

On a home pc, shut down all, Modem, WiFi, and PC. Then reboot in order as follows:
Power up Modem, let cycle until it's LIT.
Power up WiFi, let cycle til LIT (if you have WiFi Router)
Then power up PC. 
See what happens...
What's a 'restore point'?
(03-29-2018, 12:54 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: What's a 'restore point'?

If you have a Windows OS, then in your "System Restore" program it is based on a Restore Point at which time your PC was working very good. If you don't create one, then your PC does it automatically which might not be a good working point. It is better to create one yourself when you know your PC is working great. When you do a Recovery (on Action Center page) it reverts your PC back to a known good OS working point aka Restore Point. You won't lose all your settings or programs already installed. 

Open Control Panel,
click System & Security (or Action Center - I forget)
click on lower left corner link ---> Backup & Restore
and go from there to "create a new Restore Point"

date it something like this: 3/29/18 GTG (good to go) or something meaningful to you

IF you did just install a new program, you remove it before doing System Restore.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CosmicVanna for this post:
  • TrainChaser (03-30-2018)
Okay, thanks, Vanna. I saw something like that and chose a recent date prior to the problems, but it was still slow and sticky.
(03-30-2018, 12:05 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: Okay, thanks, Vanna.  I saw something like that and chose a recent date prior to the problems, but it was still slow and sticky.

Using the same restore point idea that Vanna had, there used to be an option for restoring to a particular date in time. I've used that option before on other computers and actually solved problems that way. If I remember correctly, I've actually set it back two weeks or a month from before when I noticed a problem. You might look to see if you can find that option in your PC.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
(03-29-2018, 12:43 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: I cured it telepathically with my alien brain..... Huh Confused  Rolleyes Dodgy  Big Grin You're welcome.
WHAT did you cure, pops ?
Btw way, since you're soo good at "curing" things, Maybe you can manifest a NEW monitor for us, pwease

The one that blew up 3 days ago, went to the Electronics-Recycle place yesterday. They threw it on the floor.
Monitor blew up because my alien brain fixed it.
Anything else Dodgy on yer list ?
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
13 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 5 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA