Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, have I mentioned how much I hate computers?
While on my laptop this morning trying my best to see what's going on in the world, it's getting slower to open pages after updating to the latest firefox.
Finally, I've had enough and decide to reset the PC and reinstall windows. After about two hours of watching spinning mice and things trying to load, I got pissed and decided to take a break. I shut the damn thing down, and off to McDonalds I go for a burger, thinking things will be better when I get back.
I valiantly fight a losing battle with the little **** for another hour or so, when I decide that's enough, and temporarily retire the windows 10 machine.
I'm now surfing with the windows 8.1 machine, and firefox asks me if I want to upgrade to the latest........... Angry
My last resort is a little Dell running windows 7, and that probably runs better than all the latest incarnations, but is small.
 Come to think of it, this machine is running pretty good right now. Who was it that said newer is better?
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
Try Linux...unless you need some very Windows specific programs I can walk you through a very painless install and revitalize those old computers. Not to mention it's free and all the Apps are free.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DuneElliot for this post:
  • Ballenxj (01-27-2018)
(01-27-2018, 05:42 PM)DuneElliot Wrote: Try Linux...unless you need some very Windows specific programs I can walk you through a very painless install and revitalize those old computers. Not to mention it's free and all the Apps are free.

I may just take you up on that someday. Right now I'm a bit burned out on them, and have been threatening to use them for skeet.
I agree on Firefox. I upgraded on this machine. I will not do so on the others.
(01-27-2018, 06:25 PM)BCGuy Wrote: I agree on Firefox.  I upgraded on this machine.  I will not do so on the others.
Firefox was the Top Dog for me until this last upgrade, then it fell like a rock in free fall. Having said that, my windows 10 machine has a nosy, whiny little voice that goes by the name Cortana. I'm not 100% sure that there is not a conflict between Cortana and Firefox. I'm sure of it they don't like each other. I searched, and as far as I could tell, I'm stuck with Cortana on my windows 10 machine. Cortana seems to be integral with 10. What O.S. are you running when you had trouble with the upgrade?
As I mentioned above, this machine with a not upgraded windows 8.1 seems fast as heck by comparison. That includes having a strong firewall and anti virus programs running.
 Microsoft along with the firefox upgrades can simply kiss my grits.
[quote pid='15694' dateline='1517103866']
What O.S. are you running when you had trouble with the upgrade?
[/quote]

This one is win7 as are most of mine.  I will upgrade Firefox again before deciding if I make a change.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BCGuy for this post:
  • Ballenxj (01-27-2018)
I'm trying out a Firefox derivative called Pale Moon , it works with FFX add ons and has some of it's own too .

I've never found a browser that's perfect , if it isn't one thing  , it's another............ Rolleyes
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
13 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 5 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

(01-27-2018, 08:15 PM)BCGuy Wrote: [quote pid='15694' dateline='1517103866']
What O.S. are you running when you had trouble with the upgrade?

This one is win7 as are most of mine.  I will upgrade Firefox again before deciding if I make a change.
[/quote]
Thanks, that helps me narrow it down to the FF upgrade.
And yeah Pops, if it ain't one thing, it's three. Sad
my issue is i like all the hardware of the gaming but dont need the software or the high price
the 2gb ram i got not just aint cutting it on modern ads everywhere interweb so need to upgrade but how far? i7 widows 10 or stick with older i5 win 7 machine i know and dosnt talk to me or want me on some cloud,still would be a big upgrade over what i have now

have shine on you crazy diamond playing in the background and this old toshiba sounds great,my laptop would get me kicked out of the rtr
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc stickers
yarc stickers pirate edition
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gary for this post:
  • rvpopeye (01-31-2018)
(01-30-2018, 09:48 PM)Gary Wrote: my issue is i like all the hardware of the gaming but dont need the software or the high price
the 2gb ram i got not just aint cutting it on modern ads everywhere interweb so need to upgrade but how far? i7 widows 10 or stick with older i5 win 7 machine i know and dosnt talk to me or want me on some cloud,still would be a big upgrade over what i have now

have shine on you crazy diamond playing in the background and this old toshiba sounds great,my laptop would get me kicked out of the rtr

Yeah, the ADs. They keep getting crazier and more aggressive, so we have to buy more RAM to keep up? I've been thinking about upping the RAM in all my machines, but that ain't right we have to pay for stuff they're pushing at us. I might have to look into an equally aggressive AD blocker, but that'll probably use even more RAM? GAH!!!
 Another thought, those ADs have to be allowed by our service providers that we are already paying for too, right? If everybody told them they're pulling the plug due to too many ADs, do you think it might get their attention? Or the internet would just go dead? Tongue
 I dunno, I've got to think some more...