Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rig Build savings tip(s)
Probably not a new idea to many but it was shared for me. A nomad friend of mine did a great build on his van. He bought a wrecked TT that was only a year old for $1500. Then he took everything possible out of it and used and installed it in his van. Yes he has a generator. But also a solar too. I thought this was an cool if someone has the room, time, and capabilities to go to an insurance auction, buy one cheap, haul it somewhere to get the stuff out of it. And then take it to the scrap yard. He said since the TT had 16" tires on it that were like brand new he even swapped them with his used ones on his E350 van. He used plumbing, roof vent fan, fridge, water heater, lighting, electrical wiring, all kinds of stuff, even a couple of the couch cushions for his bed. All that stuff would have cost him $1000's more if bought new and retail. Ok...just wanted to share before I forgot.  David
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to RepublicOfTXPatriot for this post:
  • Ballenxj (03-08-2018), Texjbird (03-08-2018)
WOW! That's a lot of stuff to put in a van. Do you have any pictures of the finished interior? Does he have holding tanks mounted to make use of the plumbing?
Never the less, a cool idea.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
(03-08-2018, 02:21 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: WOW! That's a lot of stuff to put in a van. Do you have any pictures of the finished interior? Does he have holding tanks mounted to make use of the plumbing?
Never the less, a cool idea.

The only tank he had was the fresh water tank. He bought a compost toilet, I think the grey water was going to the ground and he was going to use natural products.    I'm not sure if I am allowed to share his YT vid of his build. It's in like 9 vids. But quite cool if you ask me. He doesn't tell the viewers that where he got the parts. He told me by phone. It worked for him and he is 6ft 2in tall. Of course he has a high top E350. I'll post a link to his first build and anyone that wants to watch the series can go from there. I'll wait on a mods permission if I need it.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to RepublicOfTXPatriot for this post:
  • Ballenxj (03-08-2018), Wabbit (03-08-2018)
I can't think of any reason not to post a link? This is in the interest of science, right? Cool  Composting toilet eliminates needing a Black tank.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
(03-08-2018, 04:35 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: I can't think of any reason not to post a link? This is in the interest of science, right? Cool  Composting toilet eliminates needing a Black tank.
    This is Howie Roll vandweller. This is his first build vid from 2 yrs ago. There is 9 in the series. 
I thought the generator box in diamond plate was great. Also I saw in one of his vids that he stored his small green propane bottles in a piece of 4" pvc pipe standing up in the corner.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RepublicOfTXPatriot for this post:
  • Ballenxj (03-08-2018)
(03-08-2018, 05:52 PM)RepublicOfTXPatriot Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 04:35 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: I can't think of any reason not to post a link? This is in the interest of science, right? Cool  Composting toilet eliminates needing a Black tank.
    This is Howie Roll vandweller. This is his first build vid from 2 yrs ago. There is 9 in the series. 
I thought the generator box in diamond plate was great. Also I saw in one of his vids that he stored his small green propane bottles in a piece of 4" pvc pipe standing up in the corner.

if you are incontact with Howie ask him if he has seen key west brad lately,if he says yes ask him to tell brad that gary is kinda pissed he hasnt joined his forum yet
My fresh water tank came out of a Class C that was being parted out. Cheap and HUGE.
---
frater/jason - FT 2018.  Retired/boondocking 2020.  
159" Promaster, 570w:220Ah, 35gal fresh
twitter | RVwiki
(03-08-2018, 10:16 PM)Gary Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 05:52 PM)RepublicOfTXPatriot Wrote:

if you are incontact with Howie ask him if he has seen key west brad lately,if he says yes ask him to tell brad that gary is kinda pissed he hasnt joined his forum yet
I got his #. I think I have seen Key West Brad in his comments on vids. I told him about this forum. I'll kick his tires again. And pass your message onto him.