Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So it begins!
Late start this morning as I went and visited a few old work friends and didn't get home until two am. I have been visiting my Mom and she was "not up waiting for me" when I got home. I gave her a kiss and went to bed thinking some things will never change. She worries and I must have completely missed that gene. Or I burnt out my worry centre in Africa, not sure which it is!

I almost decided not to come yesterday during the drive home. Looks like Gunny will be absent, and I was so looking forward to finally meeting the myth, the man, the legend. Some other distance issue as well had me thinking perhaps with these shingles being around people might not be the best idea. Polite Canadians don't want to make people feel uncomfortable, so I decided to sleep on it and see how I felt this morning. 

I awoke to the caregiver coming into the house, chatting with the maid that arrived early. I knew Mom was still in bed; waiting up or "not" 92 is a little old to be up till two. Luckily she is a deaf as a doornail so the incessant chatter of the two girls wouldn't wake her. I listened as they made coffee and I was aware my side didn't hurt. First time in about two weeks. My elbow and shoulder groaned and provided a little painful motivation but this could just be 52 years of abuse. 

A good sign. 

So I thought I would chronicle the trip south as connectivity allows. Things left to do:

*Three S's
*Pack my tools and organize the rear of the rig.
*Grab a coffee
*Hit the Bleeping Road
*Mail some money
First stop is Eugene Oregon... Not sure if I'll get that far haven't done this drive in 14+ years. 

I will share photos and try to make a boring drive a little interesting, although as life usually goes for me I am sure it will be interesting. So hopefully this thread will be worth reading. 

Cheers and see ya all soon.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • rvpopeye (01-06-2018), Snikwahjm (01-06-2018), Gunny (01-06-2018), Ballenxj (01-07-2018), heron (01-07-2018)
Well secured in an industrial area in South Portland. Should have stopped in the Rest Area before Portland but was trying to hit the Cabellas before it closed. If wishes were horses. Oh well, the R5O is warm and while I don't have a mattress or a Sleeping bag I have a bottle of Tito's from Austin Texas so a toast to all of you and I will be curling into the back and going to sleep after I post up DAY ONE!

So I got a late start. Mom cried, and that is always hard. We are really good friends and connect closely and more so than my sisters. We really are truly equal and friends. I wish she was healthy enough to do the Road trip down. Although we would be staying in a Marriott and not an industrial complex!! LOL!

So the day started slow and this was the theme today until it got really scary. The border today was pretty slow, but the Officer was jovial and nice. A bit of a change from my LAX arrival a few short weeks ago but, they are pretty accustomed to Canucks.

I managed to find a cash point or bank machine. I really don't know what the correct term is in America anymore. I had to mail a little something-something for a nice guy that covered me.

The drive was a little boring and I was using the Waze app and while I am not totally sold on Navigation apps this one seemed to work well. It showed stopped cars and police radar traps. It was alright.

Things kind of got crazy a few miles south of Seatle.

I was doing 55 and kind of freaking out with the abundance of cars and most doing 75 plus. It has been four years since I've driven in a city. From the left lane, a ford f350 made an erratic lane change going for the exit. The silly and slow R50 was right beside him, and while he was overtaking me I had to kind of follow his lead or pit him. He had a big Northern Lite camper and was a single rear wheel truck. He actually lifted the driver's rear wheel in the swerve. I went with him off and down the off ramp. I needed fuel and so I went and filled up and spotted a Mexican Cantina.

It had a bunch of bikes outside and this was always a good sign that the food is good. I also needed a shot of vodka to settle my nerves after the Ford's stupid. So in I went.

It was a very typical biker bar. I like bikers and the bar was ok. I ordered a Caranita and a shot of vodka with club soda. The shot went down fast and while I can legally have two I decided against ordering another.

Two guys were playing pool and a small corner stage had a pole. The people in the bar ran the stereotype from Biker to Cop (me) looking individuals. My food arrived and I wasn't disappointed. It was good, spicy, and large.  The two guys were playing call eight ball and an argument was breaking out over a shot one said was obvious, while the other had issues.

As the argument got a little more heated a spotlight came on the little corner stage. Black Betty pounded out of the speakers. A black woman jumped up on the stage. She wasn't exactly pretty, and she wasn't exactly small. The argument died down, as attention turned toward the stage. The women started dancing, she had legs like a Thai kickboxer and the figure of a longshoreman. But all attention was locked on the stage! I really haven't seen anything I can use to help describe the dance past captivating and hot. But, hot in a way that is going to hurt!

It was only one song and when it was done we all looked at our drinks and I think none of us really could really put into context what we had witnessed. I got back on the road and should have stopped before Portland. I like Portland but the bridges and overpasses and underpasses are a little scary when you haven't been in North American for a while.

Ok PEEPS a toast to all of you and I am a little cold, the Titos will help that a little while I curl up for a less than comfortable night. Mail is on its' way, thanks for covering me till I could get south, pictures have been modified to protect the NOT RIGHT!!

LOVE to all!

Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • Snikwahjm (01-07-2018), Justacarsofar (01-07-2018), Ballenxj (01-07-2018), Blacktank (01-07-2018), heron (01-07-2018), Putts (01-07-2018)
ETA to Quartzsite?

Take your time and enjoy the drive.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
Yep, don’t bomb down to Az like I did in 2 days!  Just be safe!
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Organized people are simply too lazy to search for stuff.
Goodmorning.

A sleeping bag is on the agenda this morning. Security took care of the coffee.

3 am. Damn, I have to pee.
3:17 Damn I can taste the asparagus I ate with lunch.
3:22 I have to get out as the tonic bottles opening is too small for accuracy with cold hands.
3:33 Outside, damn it's cold, did I mention cold hands? Yeah, I did!

7 am. The Knock.

Tap Tap Tap.
I awake to a gentle, almost polite tapping. I pop the door to a uniformed male.
"Hi, you ok Sir?"

"Ah, good morning, Yeah I am ok, a little cold but fine and Scott is fine. I work for a living."

A little chuckle preceded his comment. "Yeah, it was cold last night, you military?"

"Yes, back in the day."

"I got fresh coffee in the security shack and it's warm if you want a cup. Dayshift will be showing up in an hour and the brass are a little sensitive to homeless parking around here."

"Oh I am not homeless, But coffee sounds awesome"

We had a good chat, Dave is ex-military and saw service overseas.

Thankfully he had a nice toilet for after the first cup of coffee routine. I was very happy about that. Sometimes it is the little things in life.
So working out the joints after a rather long night. I won't be rushing, sitting in Starbucks having breakfast, waiting for Cabellas to open so I can add a bag to my growing vandwelling gear.

I guess I really am homeless and that realization came with a little more shock than I anticipated. Funny how a label can shake you. I had always thought I would be rolling in my big black Dodge with a camper shell. Ah, well this is a good 'feet wet' humility exercise and builds character, or so my Regimental Sargent major would say.

Good morning PEEPS I am planning an ETA of 10 or 11. I have some meetings in LA to attend.
I think I can safely say I am the forum expert on Vodka and I have to say that Tito's is VERY good. Well done Austin Texas!!!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • heron (01-07-2018)
could of just dropped it off,would of only added a little 3 hour excursion
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc t-shirts
yarc stickers pirate edition
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • Scott7022 (01-07-2018)
Titos is excellent, but New Amsterdam is good for the price.

Happy trails, Scott. Next year will be my turn.
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • Scott7022 (01-08-2018)
(01-07-2018, 05:51 PM)Putts Wrote: Titos is excellent, but New Amsterdam is good for the price.

Happy trails, Scott. Next year will be my turn.

Coming from White City being four bucks a litre and Beluga TransAtlantic Export less than 20 bucks a litre. The "for a/the price" didn't factor. Vodka it too damn expensive in Amerika and STUPID EXPENSIVE in Canada. Made Redding California the R50 isn't happy idle wouldn't drop below 1200 rpm when I arrived. Could be coming from altitude...Perhaps or... COuld be a few other things too. Running ok and we shall see what she is like in the morning. Got my sleeping bag and pad, directors chair, and some odds and sods at Cabellas going to more comfortable tonight. Not really stealthy so figured the Rest area was good. So tempted to hit a cheap Motel 8 as I need a shower. But I have hot coffee free again and a toilet close. No one with me so a little stinky will be ok till I roll up on the Ritz Carlton all Beverly Hillbillies!!! LOL! I love my At&T phone, never lost the signal once and 4G anytime I was paying attention. Waze saved me a speeding ticket and they got the little panty Porsche instead! LOL! Tired and needing some warm sleepy time.

Out from California.

I wonder if I fall asleep sober will my dreams let me drive?
  • Justacarsofar (01-08-2018)
Ok, I am a wuss! I could have crashed in the Wallmart or another rest area but I pussed out. I wanted to watch the football game tonight and I wanted; No I needed a shower as my pits were very close to and Odessa whores...

I needed a hot shower... SO I stayed at a nice Misson style hotel on the outskirts of LA. well 300 miles is hardly outskirts.

I wanted to be able to hit meetings in the afternoon fresh and I didn't want to push it getting into LA LA Land.

Guess I am not hardcore but, comfort was worth it.

Peace love and enlightenment to all                
  • Ballenxj (01-09-2018)
You could have "tuned up" those pits with a paper towel and some white vinegar.
Don't laugh , it works !

Baby Wipes do too but not as well.

You've been spoiled by all that luxury living in putinlandia ?
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Ballenxj (01-09-2018), Snikwahjm (01-09-2018)