Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy
I remember your kind offer on CRVL a year or two ago. You had a lot of bicyclists stopping by if I remember correctly.

Still a kind offer. I hope your health improves and all is well.

Rob
Once More Unto The Breach, Dear Friends, Once More.
(12-15-2017, 08:49 PM)Gunny Wrote: I remember your kind offer on CRVL a year or two ago. You had a lot of bicyclists stopping by if I remember correctly.

Still a kind offer. I hope your health improves and all is well.

Rob

You're correct, I do get a lot of international cyclists thru the cycling group warmshowers.org and thru google in general.  In 2016 I'd say it was 100 cyclists to 30 RVs, in 2017 the number was approximately 50 cyclists and 175 RV/Vandwellers.  

I had a small issue with the management of CheapRVLiving and they shut down a conversation I was having about firearms, and I am a very active person when it comes to guns, both introducing a lot of people to them and politically so I left their site for a while. 

As for my health, thanks, I'm fairly stable but don't see anything unbreaking itself any time soon.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to HoneysPark for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (12-16-2017)
I just can’t imagine anyone arguinq with Bob Wells regarding weapons or anything else for that matter.

Small hint of sarcasm there, he and I don’t agree on much except we don’t like each other.

Welcome here, Gary is very laid back and I haven’t seen an argument yet.

Rob
Once More Unto The Breach, Dear Friends, Once More.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gunny for this post:
(12-15-2017, 09:27 PM)Gunny Wrote: I just can’t imagine anyone arguinq with Bob Wells regarding weapons or anything else for that matter.

Small hint of sarcasm there, he and I don’t agree on much except we don’t like each other.

Welcome here, Gary is very laid back and I haven’t seen an argument yet.

Rob

Not to say anything bad about Bob, as I'm over it but it was more of he didn't like the many posted discussion a bunch of us were having and shut it down in general.  Felt like stifling free speech or censorship to me, but its his site so I left rather than saying much to him.  It's part of why I don't like forums in general, say anything a moderator doesn't like politically and they hit you with a ban hammer.  Facebook, twitter, they all do it.    I'm told Bob is supposedly pro-gun, but that wasn't my impression.  But I was definitely more annoyed at the being shut down than the specifics of the discussion.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to HoneysPark for this post:
  • Gunny (12-16-2017), Justacarsofar (12-16-2017)
you have just entered another world here,no name calling/personal attacks,discussion is encouraged,argueing and fighting is not and umm,well,thats all the rules i can think of

oh,dont eat Bleeps brownies or you might be high for a month

gun thread,gum thread,how in the heck do we not have a gun thread,i'll make one in chit chat
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
(12-15-2017, 10:11 PM)Gary Wrote: you have just entered another world here,no name calling/personal attacks,discussion is encouraged,argueing and fighting is not and umm,well,thats all the rules i can think of

oh,dont eat Bleeps brownies or you might be high for a month

gun thread,gum thread,how in the heck do we not have a gun thread,i'll make one in chit chat

No need on my account, I won't participate in it.  I think the problem Bob had was that it was a few months after Sandy hook and the anti-gun side complained at him a lot even though most of the discussion was pretty polite.   I have hundreds of discussions around my place a year, sometimes by foreigners who are completely anti-gun but my general rule for my place is your welcome to disagree with me as long as we stay civil.  I teach safety and take around 50 a year out shooting on my own dime generally.  I used to get asked what my biggest gun was a lot, which oddly made me feel bad so I built a cannon.  Stop by sometime Heart 
I find that people online tend to at least more readily troll or express bad feelings(whine) and since I don't like arguing I stay away from it (forums in general).  

As for the brownies, Idaho hasn't legalized yet and never will until dragged screaming into that discussion by the Feds.  When several neighbor states legalized, Idaho passed a resolution asking the feds to go after them.  It's the one area of Idaho law I disagree with.  I'm pro-legalization of most everything, I say let darwin sort out the idiots.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to HoneysPark for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (12-16-2017), Ballenxj (12-16-2017), heron (12-23-2017), Heidi Mull (01-02-2018)
(12-15-2017, 12:09 PM)HoneysPark Wrote: A friend who I won't name to protect the innocent recommended this forum to me.  For several reasons, mostly medical that make me not do well with stress I won't be very active.  So if you do need something email me or call me directly, I generally try to help most in any way I can. 

I'm a disabled Army veteran, hurt on peacetime in 1990, broke 11 vertebra plus my head.  I healed mostly but the neck injury pinched off a blood vessel in 2009 and caused me a major stroke.  Now I suffer, though I'm mostly functional; can walk etc; from a condition known as VertebroBasilar Ischemia.  (That vessel pinches off causing mini strokes and a myriad of nerve issues.)

I was educated as an Electrical Engineer after the Army, owned many small businesses and such.  Ran a homeless shelter on the side years ago, but lost everything after the stroke.  Now I'm sort of back on my feet and have opened my land up as Honeys Park, a completely free campground in Arco Idaho.  You can read more about me on my website if you wish, find it on google, freecampsites,net warmshowers.org, wikicamps and many others.  You're all always welcome.  I've only had one sort of negative experience I won't go into details about in the 6 years I've had it open, and they left on their own after a couple days so I didn't have to deal with it.  But because of them I offer 7 day windows of stay, which in truth get extended in perpetuity if your not a jerk and keep your spot clean.  So if you need a spot, I wouldn't recommend winter time as I'm above 5300 feet in the Idaho mountain plains and it gets cold and snowy.  I never close, but I don't plow, so December-February can be iffy on driving in, and unpleasant to stay.   I offer wifi, electricity and the opportunity to have a beer with me at my campfire.  
    I do it for several reasons a) When homeless I took care of a yellow lab of my daughter named honey.  I promised her she'd have her own park someday.   b) To help others; be it if they are poor and can't afford commercial campgrounds or just curmudgeon like me and can't stand those places.  and lastly c) To break up the day to day monotony of life.  So if you stop be friendly, I get guests that park a camper, stay a week, and never even walked over and say hi, and those are the people I don't understand. 
   I've lived this lifestyle on and off most of my life, but plan to stay RV living the rest of it. 

The name: Scar Honig Stigr.   I get asked about it , so I prefer to settle the discussion ahead of time.  It's legal.  Part of it started out an Army nickname after my injury and the fact that I had a little girl in the 90s when a popular disney movie came out made it stick.  (Facial scarring, go figure).  She also named her dog Scar but thats little girls.  Then there was honey, whose name isn't very manly so if you want to honor her perhaps use my middle name; Honig German for honey.   My family was danish, and I named my last viszla Stigr, who has also passed now.  So I made it all legal, mostly because ten years ago when Scar the dog died my daughter said something along the lines of 'if you loved him so much dad why don't you take his name'.   Might have been sarcastic, but I went with it.   Now I'm down to one dog, a red tick hound named Ruby, and since I'm out of name changes, guess she's going to end up a tattoo eventually.  So there I am, layed out flat for all the world to see.  Huge dog nut, heavy on the NUT. 

Stop by and see me, call of email directly if you need anything.  And if you're a woman who might be as lonely as I am consider me for the role of the guy who befriends you and helps you til the day we die.  (I stuck a personal in there see)

Scar Honig Stigr
2436 N 3000 W
ARCO Idaho 83213
(208) 390 6089
www.honeyspark.webs.com

Smile Hello Scar and Welcome to our group.  Queenie sez Hey to Ruby.  Scoff if you want however Q is a excellent scent hound.  When she'd go after a squirrel she'd get airborne when she hit end of her 15ft lead.  She always hits the backyard nose down first thing.

Jewellann and Q
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
Ruby went to bed but I'll tell her in the morning . She walks nose down most the time and sniffs out so well I've seen her dig a hole thru the snow and dirt mid winter, three feet underground and bring up a rabbit. Glad humans don't have those sniffers
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to HoneysPark for this post:
  • heron (12-23-2017)
(12-15-2017, 08:27 PM)HoneysPark Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 07:59 PM)Ballenxj Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 01:13 PM)HoneysPark Wrote: Yeah, their is a reason people from up here head to quartzite in the winter.  Haven't had any real snow yet, but temps are getting with highs of 15 now.  People who visit me usually use public services like the nearby dump station etc, and the water there has been turned off for the winter.  KOA next door leaves at the end of October and doesn't come back til April, but they are whimps from warmer areas anyways.

How many people live there year round?

The town is of 900 in a county of 3,000 with the nearest wal-mart at 65 miles lol.  There is a tiny grocery store in town and a family dollar, lumber yard and a couple of gas stations.  If the question is how many people stay at honeys year round then the answer is me and my dog, though I don't plan on being here every winter, just had a rough year that set my plans back.   Arco is the county seat, with only one or two other small towns in the county, the biggest of which has 100 people or so 15 miles north.  Butte County is pretty empty, partly as it sits on the edge of the Idaho desert, and the Idaho National Labs (51 nuclear reactors and a bunch of research and navy stuff) sit between us and Idaho Falls (Idahos second largest city and the location of said wal-mart.
So, how far do you have to go for the nearest gas station then? I take it there are none there, especially in the winter?
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
No there are 3 working gas stations in town, a bar, lumber yard or two, pizza joint, family dollar, gas station, hospital, high school, liquor store, laundromat, bank,grocery store; those are what I can think of but a fairly inclusive list.  It is the county seat of Butte county and we are in this century.  Some of the best 4g LTE service in the country around here, partially due to the proximity to the National Labs.  The only things that are closed for the winter are seasonal things, like campgrounds, dump stations, outdoor fresh water, family reunions so we can date our cousins.  Sorry, mind just wandered as to the funny nature of this reply.

My driveway ends at the technical city limit, meaning I'm in the county.  But the truck stop 500 feet away would be the closest gas station, different direction 600 feet to a gas station, laundromat, liquor store.   The whole town is only 1/2 mile across including the suburbs.  (get it, suburb to a 900 person town, thats some comedy gold there.)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to HoneysPark for this post:
  • Ballenxj (12-16-2017), Justacarsofar (12-17-2017)