Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Reflectix under bedding
Sniky: I was thinking of making some slippers from the still-good corners of my old Reflectix mat. Enclosed, they would probably make your feet sweat, but what if you put holes in them (hole puncher?) before you put them together, and then fastened the parts together with Gorilla Tape? Some pattern ideas from Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/396527942177140708/

Also, the bottoms would probably be slippery if you wanted to walk around in them, so maybe some stick-on rubber soles? Like thin flipflops w/o the toe piece (and they don't flop): https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAKEFIT-Pad-Adh....l4275.c10
I”ll probably get some kind of yarc sticker for reviving a year old thread however I’d like an update. Is the Refectix still working as an undersheet warmer?  Before I go out and buy any I wanted to see if anyone else other than the OP has been using it this winter...

Thanks
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Organized people are simply too lazy to search for stuff.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-31-2018)
Yes. I have mine I closed in a wool tube so I don’t get sweaty. It does tend to shift around.
I'm the OP, and I saved the piece I used last winter. I just put it back on the mattress two days ago when I changed the sheets. It did have some degradation where my hips rest, but that's not the part that gets cold. It still seems to work fine. And the cats like it, too
I wonder if it would last longer if you put it underneath one of those thick pillow top mattress covers. It might even quiet it down some. You'd have your own body heat reflected back and something super comfy to sleep on. I used one in the big truck for years and it really made a difference in comfort.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
That might work, too. Unless the topper was too thick, and the body heat got lost along the way. Maybe someone will try it and let us know.
You want a thin layer between you to carry off sweat.
Thanks for the updates and new ideas all.
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Organized people are simply too lazy to search for stuff.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • TrainChaser (12-01-2018)
I haven't had any problems at all with moisture with the Reflectix just under me. But I only use wool blankets, not acrylic (plastic).
Great topic & research by TrainChaser, and worthy of a bump TWIH!

I've never tried Reflectix, and didn't even know about it a year ago.

Whenever I've used an air mattress during winter, I duct taped one of the cheap mylar blankets to it, then added insulation, and it made a big difference.  By the end of winter, the mylar blanket/sheet had tears, but at less than a buck, I didn't worry.

You mentioned the noise of the cheap ones.
There's a higher end one called the "AMK Heatsheet", which is extremely tough and much quieter.
I use it as a top layer, with a cotton sheet between it and my regular blankets. The cotton absorbs much of the condensation, so it's never been a problem. Some times, there's still water on the Heatsheet, so I just put it wet side up somewhere, and it's typically gone by night.
The one I regularly use is ten years old and is still in excellent shape. Smile
It's more expensive, but worth it.

It's available separately, or in a very nice bare-bones kit:
https://www.amazon.com/S-L-Survive-Outdo...005XN5EJ6/
Most "survival kits" come with a bunch of dubious and/or cheap quality items, that kit is just the essentials, all high quality.
As GypsyDogs will attest, I have no hand strength (30+ years of heavy keyboarding, etc), yet I can use that firestarter one handed. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly

Update:
Still broken down, still looking for trustworthy shop to do repair, contract gig closed.
Thanks for your support! Smile
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • Wayne49 (12-02-2018), TWIH (12-02-2018)