Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Reflectix under bedding
This isn't HEATING, per se, but it is about staying warm, and I didn't know where else to put it.

On the other site, I had wondered about using Reflectix insulation on top of my mattress, under a pad or blanket, and then using my regular blankets on top.  (Note: my regular blankets are WOOL -- not acrylic -- slowly accumulated from thrift shops.  I don't know if this would make a difference.)

Most who responded kind of pooh-poohed the idea, saying that moisture would accumulate, dampen the bedding, and make me cold.

But I did it anyway.  As fall of 2016 got cooler (I'm in W. WA, so usually in the 20s at night), I bought six feet of 48"-wide Reflectix from a local store that sells it by the foot ($2.29/linear foot) in addition to the standard-sized rolls. 

I laid the Reflectix on the mattress, covered it with an old blanket, and then made the bed as usual.

IT WORKED GREAT!  In fact, I was surprised how well it worked -- very noticeable.  No moisture condensation.  No damp sheets.  I did leave the blankets thrown back a bit when I got out of bed, but didn't make any special effort to air it out.

Yes, it made a bit of a crinkly-crackly sound, but the blanket under the sheet muffled it.

The biggest surprise was how FAST it worked.  It started reflecting body heat in maybe 20 seconds.  And I didn't have to stay in one place/position to stay warm.

The stuff does have a lifespan.  It seems to last okay for one fall/winter, but the area from shoulder to hip does deteriorate, and loses its insulative value.  I put a new one on about two weeks ago, and it's nice and warm.  The cat likes it, too.

There are always people who think if it's good underneath, adding it over the top of your body will be twice as good .  Your body does produce moisture, and having the Reflectix above you will probably trap it and make you cold.  It's mylar and plastic, so that would be like trying to sleep in a plastic bag.

But if you're sleeping on a thin mattress or in your car (even for an emergency), I think it would really help to keep you warm.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (12-15-2017), Ballenxj (12-15-2017), MN C Van (12-16-2017)
I remember when you had that idea.  I'm glad you tried it and it worked!  I have a younger family member living in a old FEMA rental unit.  The landlord failed to tell him the furnance doesn't work.  I 'm going to try it here in my apt. at the foot of my bed.  I have poor circulation and my feet get cold.  Right now they are cold yet I'm wearing a tank top and shorts with a light blanket over my legs and a fan on to circulate the warm air from my wall mounted AC/Heat unit that is mounted 4in below the ceiling.  My feet are the only part of me that isn't comfortable.

When I lived in SD I hated to move once I had my "spot" in the bed warm!

Jewellann
        AND THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT "FORREST GUMP"   
                              I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME
                                            I AIN'T DONE ......YET
                                                           TJB

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Texjbird for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (12-15-2017)
I might sacrifice my window shades tonight. Bbbbrrrr......
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
you might want to look into space blankets,see if you can find a heavy duty version 
https://www.rei.com/product/407104/space...cy-blanket
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc stickers
yarc stickers pirate edition
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gary for this post:
I had to use one of those mylar emergency blankets once; just the silver sheet, no backing. It was the noisiest thing I've ever slept with. I thought the Reflectix might be like that, but there was no comparison.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
I'm so glad I read this! I'm going to the RTR in my SUV so I've been freakin' out a little about staying warm over night! I don't want to use the heater in that small space while I'm sleeping... This sounds like a great fix!!
viajes seguros
(12-14-2017, 11:57 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: This isn't HEATING, per se, but it is about staying warm, and I didn't know where else to put it.

On the other site, I had wondered about using Reflectix insulation on top of my mattress, under a pad or blanket, and then using my regular blankets on top.  (Note: my regular blankets are WOOL -- not acrylic -- slowly accumulated from thrift shops.  I don't know if this would make a difference.)

<-------->

IT WORKED GREAT!  In fact, I was surprised how well it worked -- very noticeable.  No moisture condensation.  No damp sheets.  I did leave the blankets thrown back a bit when I got out of bed, but didn't make any special effort to air it out.

Yes, it made a bit of a crinkly-crackly sound, but the blanket under the sheet muffled it.

The biggest surprise was how FAST it worked.  It started reflecting body heat in maybe 20 seconds.  And I didn't have to stay in one place/position to stay warm.
<-------->
But if you're sleeping on a thin mattress or in your car (even for an emergency), I think it would really help to keep you warm.
I've heard this works well, and I believe uses the same principle as those little Mylar survival blankets.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
Interesting!
Have P- Mats (thicker yoga mat?) and they're always damp in the AM, so why not a space blanket underneath?
I bought a roll of it. it was freaking cold here. I put some around the bed by the van wall and blocked out the breeze. I also let the sheet hang down so air didn't come up from under the bed. I wore a hoodie pulled up tight. My top blanket fell off though. It is too light to be on top even though it is warm. I should have layered my blankets different. I have a wool piece that goes under me, the reflectix went under that and the sheet. No problems with damp but I could feel the warmth. I'm wondering about duct taping it into bed slippers??? When my feet did get cold i rolled onto my back and put my feet flat. They were almost instantly warmed by the spot of reflectix. It did not crinkle and crackle. It was warm where I had body contact with the bed.
MN C Van: "Have P- Mats (thicker yoga mat?) and they're always damp in the AM, so why not a space blanket underneath? "

I would think it would depend on where the moisture was coming from. The floor? The air? The person's sweat?