Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you pick?
I documented my thoughts (and choice) here.
---
frater/jason - FT 2018.  Retired/boondocking 2020.  
159" Promaster, 570w:220Ah, 35gal fresh
twitter | RVwiki
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
  • TWIH (11-27-2017), heron (11-29-2017)
I'd add the following (having owned a 1994 GMC 3/4T with an 8' dry truck camper, a 1982 GMC based 21' class C and a 1974 24' travel trailer in the past):

1 - Do you have something now?  It's easier to work with what you have unless it's junk.

2 - Do you need 4x4?  Van's wont help you. Some will say a regular 350/3500 series with a locker rear will work well but if you really need 4x4 then you need the truck

3 - Will you tow?  Some vans tow a cargo trailer, but no van can tow the 5th wheel.

4 - Do you care about having to exit the sleeping compartment and go outside in order to access the cab to drive?  If you do then no truck.

5 - Do you care about blending in at all?  The truck camper doesn't, unless you park on an rv consignment lot...

6 - Do you care about highway wind pushing you around?  Truck campers have a high profile, obviously.

7 - Do you like to go down overgrown forest service roads?  The high profile truck camper has a problem unless you have a pop up soft sided version.

8 - Do you want lots of extra room and a full bath?  A truck camper (10-11') will give you that, as well as a kitchen and all the wet tanks. Vans don't.

9 - Do you want to be seen as an "rv" or not?  In some places it's to your advantage to be a licensed RV, in others it isn't.

10 - Do you want the occasional usage of air conditioning?  Most truck campers have that option (with a gas generator) and most vans do not.  Same with full hookups... vans don't generally have a 30 amp plug nor do they have all the wiring inside for 120 volt. They can but it isn't normal to have it.

11 - Do you 4 season?  The best truck campers (Arctic Fox) are true 4 season. Vans - maybe if properly insulated.

12 - Do you want to stand up?  Yes for the truck, no for 95% of the vans.

13 - Do you have $$$?  A nice (used) truck, 3/4 or 1 ton and a decent 8.5-9.5' camper is serious money (for me anyway), like $10K + for the truck and another $10K for the camper.  Vans can be had for $5-7K all day, with another $1-3K in build costs.

Now a UHaul type box van is an in-between you may want to consider... it has some advantages and some disadvantages for both. Biggest disadvantage is no 4x4 and generally beat up. biggest advantage is room on all sides and height.

Hope that helped some.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • Snikwahjm (11-27-2017), Ballenxj (11-27-2017), heron (11-29-2017)
We wanted a late model hightop full size cargo van. That gave us the choice of a Mercedes Sprinter, a Dodge Promaster, a Ford Transit and a Nissan NV. I also wanted something that could tow a trailer if I wanted one in the future.

Mercedes$$$ was a non-starter. Dodge is a Fiat (I couldn't buy a Fiat-I have a long memory). I have had Ford issues. That left the Nissan NV. I've had multiple Nissans over the decades, and have been happy with them. And the NV had the exact same model from 2012 through 2016 (the 2017 eight cylinder has a new engine and 7 speed transmission). And no major issues. And a 5 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

So I have a '16 Nissan. And am quite pleased with it. The biggest negative is abysmal city mileage (10-11mpg). Highway mileage is better (15-16mpg). Part of the mileage problem is the 2 solar panels mounted on roof racks with a third panel hanging on the driver side and the Fantastic Fan vent and hood. Some people say that the NV are fugly. I don't notice when I'm inside, in the very comfortable cab or standing up in back, especially when it rains. After the first week or two, I stopped noticing on the outside, too. You can love your plain child just as much as the pretty one, no?
Ted
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to TedOnWalkabout for this post:
  • Gunny (11-27-2017), Ballenxj (11-27-2017), heron (11-29-2017)
(11-27-2017, 06:52 PM)TedOnWalkabout Wrote: We wanted a late model hightop full size cargo van. That gave us the choice of a Mercedes Sprinter, a Dodge Promaster, a Ford Transit and a Nissan NV. I also wanted something that could tow a trailer if I wanted one in the future.
<-------->
You can love your plain child just as much as the pretty one, no?
Of the four you mentioned, Nissan would also have been my choice. Had a Nissan Pathfinder in the past, and I sorely miss that one.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
(11-27-2017, 06:52 PM)TedOnWalkabout Wrote: We wanted a late model hightop full size cargo van. That gave us the choice of a Mercedes Sprinter, a Dodge Promaster, a Ford Transit and a Nissan NV. I also wanted something that could tow a trailer if I wanted one in the future.

Mercedes$$$ was a non-starter.  Dodge is a Fiat (I couldn't buy a Fiat-I have a long memory). I have had Ford issues.  That left the Nissan NV.  I've had multiple Nissans over the decades, and have been happy with them.  And the NV had the exact same model from 2012 through 2016 (the 2017 eight cylinder has a new engine and 7 speed transmission).  And no major issues. And a 5 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

So I have a '16 Nissan.  And am quite pleased with it.  The biggest negative is abysmal city mileage (10-11mpg). Highway mileage is better (15-16mpg).  Part of the mileage problem is the 2 solar panels mounted on roof racks with a third panel hanging on the driver side and the Fantastic Fan vent and hood. Some people say that the NV are fugly.  I don't notice when I'm inside, in the very comfortable cab or standing up in back, especially when it rains.  After the first week or two, I stopped noticing on the outside, too.  You can love your plain child just as much as the pretty one, no?
Ted

I read where the new 2017 got quite the V8 engine upgrade as far as hp and torque goes, but same miserable mileage.  The review (Edmunds) wasn't very high on the vehicle as opposed to the Ford however they are soooo different in drivetrain and style, they are almost in 2 differing categories.  Glad that you like yours, it's nice to have a steel hi-top!
I feel your pain. Also feel like I could have written your post. I've come down to the same conclusion, I don't want to tow anything. And to confuse myself more, I absolutely love vans and have owned several and I am a truck guy and love having 4x4. Having done multiple cross country treks in both 2wd and 4wd set ups I want 4wd as a must have in my next set up. I like going off the beaten path too much to go with out. I actually think a van converted to 4x4 is my ideal, I just don't want to spend the money that requires to get there. A pick up is more all around versatile, so a pick up with camper on back is in the current running. I'm just going to be part timing for the foreseeable future so having a truck that i can take the "house" off and on as needed seems ideal, to free up truck for stuff around the homestead.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • rvpopeye (11-28-2017), heron (11-29-2017), OutdoorFT (11-30-2017)
ERLH
I dare ya to build the camper yourself Tongue !
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Snikwahjm (11-28-2017), Everyroadleadshome (11-30-2017)
I have no clue on vehicle type so am leaving that for my husband to decide. The only things that i require are size, shower and toilet, The rest he can do what ever he likes.
ideas for you
[Image: 2b8510a6fef5197d05110c1015f14e06.jpg]      [Image: Homebuilt-truck-camper.jpg]    

[Image: chevy-4x4-diy-wood-camper.jpg]      [Image: tiny-house.jpg]

[Image: b6bbf00b44fd0252e17d2bfbe2c1fc44.jpg]   [Image: tumblr_n2t4orYgpy1rjgdu6o2_1280.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-28-2017), heron (11-29-2017), Everyroadleadshome (11-30-2017)
Hubby has the '17 NV 2500 with 8 cylinders, new engine, new transmission. His latest all highway mileage check was 19.5mpg. That was with the roof racks and two solar panels with the fan and hood on the roof. The city mileage is about the same as the '16. Certainly not worth the cost of the newer van. He would have bought a '16, like mine, but it wasn't available.

I don't like the transmission at all. It's weird. It "wanders" from gear to gear in automatic, but does have a manual mode, which is great on both vehicles. Thankfully, I don't have to drive it.
Ted
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to TedOnWalkabout for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-28-2017), heron (11-29-2017)