Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muffin fan assy (Tks Sternwake)
    I purchased the Noctua PC fan a year ago and never got around to finding a variable speed controller. A few weeks ago Sternwake posted here the Noctua NA-FC1 Controller and details. Its exactly what I wanted, plug and play easy. A few hours and a couple days later and I'm in business.
Thanks again Sternwake, much appreciated.

Materials;
Noctua NF F12 3000 PWM fan w/ NA-FC1 Controller, Blue Sea 12V DC socket and fused plug.
Ebay plastic project box, panel mount wire gland, 5' 18G stranded power wire.
35W soldering iron/with solder. Drill, Dremel with cutoff wheel /sanding wheel. 3/8" & 1/2" wood spade bits.
I wanted a variable speed, quiet, portable fan that initially will be powered by a ciggy plug and would pull warm air off the top of my Truckfridge (see holes in bottom of case) to exhaust, and double as cross ventilation pulling some air out of the cabin too.
The fan needed to squeeze between two shelves that are above the rear of the fridge to exhaust warm air out the cabin wall. And it had to be portable so I can close off that exterior wall vent in colder weather and use the fan on the window shelf on the opposite wall to keep moisture down from the propane heater and occasional cooking.

Richard

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Matlock for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-16-2017)
Second Page... Big Grin

Richard
nice job,hows it move air?
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc stickers
yarc stickers pirate edition
Unrestricted the book says 160 cfm. My box van is 10x6x6 empty so that's 360 c.f. and I have 1/2 of that space boxed out so maybe 180 cf...... all things considered, fan on high with some restrictions, maybe 100 cfm so it could change the interior air in just under 2 min., it's no Max-air but plenty for fridge cooling and moisture control.

Richard
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Matlock for this post:
  • rvpopeye (11-16-2017), AbuelaLoca (11-16-2017)
Good job , SW sure is full of great info !
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
These industrial Noctua fans are impressive. The speed controller is also sweet. I like how one can turn it off by the controller when dialed all the way down and pressing the button, or just have it at absolute minimum speed.

Sometimes on startup, the fan will spin backwards, then come to a stop, then try again. I asked Noctua about this and they said it is normal on start up, but if it does not fire up in the proper direction they would send a new one out and pay to have the faulty one shipped back. It might happen twice sometimes but always spins up correctly on the 3rd try

These fans do very well when there is restriction in front of and surprisingly behind the fan blades too, but in general it is wise to present as little restriction to flow as possible.

I have two of these fans as intake fans in a conversion van side window, along with the silverstone fm181. When I turn all three on high mid day it is like a wall of colder air is pushed forward from the back and out. Impressive amount of air movement for less than an amp consumed.

The Noctua specs as to the air movement are 187 cubic meters per hour which translates to 109.9CFM.

One guy with the proper tools measured actual unrestricted flow at 139CFM. I would guess it is closer to 110cfm.

They are quite loud at max speed but dialed down slightly are much quieter and move an impressive amount of air
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
^^ 
"Sometimes on startup, the fan will spin backwards, then come to a stop, then try again." 

Yep, I was about to take everything apart and start over then decided it must have been the last beverage consumed and buttoned everything up. The next morning it started ok so just blamed it on the swill. Then later in the day it did it again, this time I did the shut off and restart and thought it might just be a glitch. I wasn't gonna cut off shrink tubes and unsolder just to exchange.

On the Silverstone 180, this is the final version I put together early last year, again, based upon your review. The box is 11 x 8 x 3". The Silverstone comes with the speed control and ... it's tits! (can I say that?)

Richard
My silverstone fm181 is still working well in my intake shroud. Fans in this location are typically shortlived from the circuit boards corroding from sucking in damp salt laden air.

When i painted the SS FM181 frame and impeller black, I removed the impeller, which exposed the circuit board. I coated this with Deoxit shield s5 spray, and covered the wires where they enter the hub and mate with the CB with amazing goop, or was it a glob of Dielectric grease? cant remember. I believe it has already outlasted the previous 180MM fan I used there, the SS AP182.

Nice to know the Noctua industrial fans should be mostly immune to the elements.

The silverstone fm121, 120MM fan, also comes with a built in speed controller and potentiometer. The one exhausting my ceiling is at least 7 years old and has been running nearly constantly that whole time.

It is rated at 110CFM at max speed 2400 rpm and is slightly quieter than the noctua 3000rpm at full speed, but less than half the static presssure rating, and consumes 25% more electricity.

The SS fm121 is a good choice though,Tops, imo for a 120mm fan, second to the industrial Noctua with additional speed controller.

The $ilverstone AP182 is a 180mm 2000 rpm fan with built in speed controller. Mine did not like battery charging voltages at high speed, and on highest speed it would consume 1.3 amps, but was noticeably more powerful than the FM181 that I believe maxes out at 1400 rpm. At minimum speed the AP182 consumed only 0.05 amps though, which is impressive considering how much air it still moved.

My AP182 failed due to a combo of salt laden air rotting the CB, and failure was likely contributed to by battery charging voltages reaching it initially.

After I smelled its stinky plastic hot hub, I put it on a voltage controller and limited it to a max of 11 volts. which slowed down the max speed but it was still quite powerful.

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-3-01-0076...B008BHAOQO

That was not the exact model I used, but close enough for link purposes.

I now use the linked voltage controller as a speed controller on a 2.35 amp 92mm delta fan. I removed the blue potentiometer and added wires to reach a 10K ohm remote potentiometer. The voltage controller clips a volt or so and limits top end speed, but this delta fan is so powerful at 11.5 volts, that the loss of a few hundred rpm is of no concern.

Speed control of fans can be done in multiple ways. PWM fans can be controlled by the 4th PWM wire, or a fan can be fed PWM signal on the red/black power leads from a PWM motor speed controller LED light dimmer( 21KHZ or higher), or can be speed controlled by voltage.

21KHZ is so the fan does not whine audibly to humans, at reduced speeds, many PWM LED light dimmers can be as low as 13KHZ and at reduced speeds the fan will Whine annoyingly.