Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes there is a Santa Claus.
christmas is always a fun time. Music, decorations...very fun.
I figured it out too. When I was in second grade my dad played Santa Claus and I recognized his voice.
Christmas was family, friends, church, good food and presents. After a while it was just Xmas, been there.. It wasn't until my first December in the military and 1000 miles away from home that I began to realize I might have missed something.  
I had met and was dating the daughter of a new Staff officer whose family recently arrived in Europe. The Colonel and his 2nd wife had a 4 year old little girl named Lindsey and that's the one that was all excited about the fat man she called Santa.
Without TV, movies or videos this wee one was all about memories back home in Atlanta. Lindsey absorbed and retained all about this fat man, his red hat and coat and his baggy red pants and the Reindeer's.....many Reindeer's with big red hats on too and they all wore little shoes to keep their feet warm. And when I asked about the presents she stopped me in mid sentence and said he had a red truck that they all rode in and that's where the effies (elf's) made the toys for girls. I asked about the boys and she said no, they don't get any. Now she's 4 years old so... anyway, Xmas eve Lindsey is getting ready for bed, the tree was up but no decorations or presents anywhere. Last thing before bed, we have to put out the "tiny and cookies" for Santa. (Tiny is Martini, three olives) Later found out that was the Colonel's drink of choice.
Off Lindsey goes to bed and now I see why I'm asked to be here. Bring out the boxes of tree ornaments and tinsel. The presents to be wrapped and most need some assembly. In the 70's it was I guess, still a thing to get young girls the Betty Crocker, some assembly required, 4' tall, sheet metal kitchen set, 142 Pcs, suggested age 5- 12 yrs. It's important to keep in mind 45 years ago they made and sold products that were dangerous for adults and kids to touch, and nobody knew you couldn't run with scissors. Oh and no-one ever mentioned "Band aides not included" every household had plenty. 

Close to this version...

As the evening progressed so did the assembly, beverages were replenished and the Colonel and I are getting sloshed on Tiny's and we had plenty of band aids still in the box. Along about 3AM we gave up on the parts for the refrigerator door and hid it behind the drapes in hopes the handle and screws would appear in the future. Col and wife off to bed and oldest daughter and I crash on the sofa.

7AM came quick with coffee and something..  and then, humph... and then the magic happened.
The tree was plugged in, the Colonel was outside on the lawn ringing sleigh bells and bellowing a hearty HO HO HO and me just sitting on the sofa taking it all in. I hear 4 year old Lindsey at the top of the stairs saying Mommy Daddy Santa's here Santa's here and Mom goes up the stairs to walk her down and Dad gets back inside and takes her other hand and they walk together into the living room. Lindsey's eyes were as big as saucers..... and that is when it became, for me forever a memory and a Merry Christmas.

Richard
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Matlock for this post:
  • Cammalu (11-17-2017), AbuelaLoca (11-17-2017), Texjbird (11-18-2017), Anna (11-18-2017)
(11-14-2017, 03:10 PM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 02:57 PM)Anna Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 02:51 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: Waddaya mean ???????
Santa had the flu that year and sent the reindeer out with the fully loaded sleigh and a note to all the mommies and daddies telling them what to do !
It's true , I tell ya !!! Winksh

rvpopeye, You're funny Big Grin

Yeah, that's been obvious for some time.  Wait, did you mean funny ha-ha?  I meant funny peculiar!

Big Grin  Yeah well I think he let the cat out of the bag.  RVP you have ruint yore own reputation. Q and I think yore sweet.  So there!  Now your rep has been ruint by a lady [semi-lady] saying you're sweet.  Tongue    One of my neighbors  narc's me out on being sweet at least once a week.  There's her folks way up in B'ham that think that!  

I'm ruint too!  We could start a club. Wink

Jewellann
        AND THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT   "FORREST GUMP"   

JUST SAYING A THING DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN

I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME

(11-17-2017, 09:19 AM)Matlock Wrote: Christmas was family, friends, church, good food and presents. After a while it was just Xmas, been there.. It wasn't until my first December in the military and 1000 miles away from home that I began to realize I might have missed something.  
I had met and was dating the daughter of a new Staff officer whose family recently arrived in Europe. The Colonel and his 2nd wife had a 4 year old little girl named Lindsey and that's the one that was all excited about the fat man she called Santa.
Without TV, movies or videos this wee one was all about memories back home in Atlanta. Lindsey absorbed and retained all about this fat man, his red hat and coat and his baggy red pants and the Reindeer's.....many Reindeer's with big red hats on too and they all wore little shoes to keep their feet warm. And when I asked about the presents she stopped me in mid sentence and said he had a red truck that they all rode in and that's where the effies (elf's) made the toys for girls. I asked about the boys and she said no, they don't get any. Now she's 4 years old so... anyway, Xmas eve Lindsey is getting ready for bed, the tree was up but no decorations or presents anywhere. Last thing before bed, we have to put out the "tiny and cookies" for Santa. (Tiny is Martini, three olives) Later found out that was the Colonel's drink of choice.
Off Lindsey goes to bed and now I see why I'm asked to be here. Bring out the boxes of tree ornaments and tinsel. The presents to be wrapped and most need some assembly. In the 70's it was I guess, still a thing to get young girls the Betty Crocker, some assembly required, 4' tall, sheet metal kitchen set, 142 Pcs, suggested age 5- 12 yrs. It's important to keep in mind 45 years ago they made and sold products that were dangerous for adults and kids to touch, and nobody knew you couldn't run with scissors. Oh and no-one ever mentioned "Band aides not included" every household had plenty. 

Close to this version...

As the evening progressed so did the assembly, beverages were replenished and the Colonel and I are getting sloshed on Tiny's and we had plenty of band aids still in the box. Along about 3AM we gave up on the parts for the refrigerator door and hid it behind the drapes in hopes the handle and screws would appear in the future. Col and wife off to bed and oldest daughter and I crash on the sofa.

7AM came quick with coffee and something..  and then, humph... and then the magic happened.
The tree was plugged in, the Colonel was outside on the lawn ringing sleigh bells and bellowing a hearty HO HO HO and me just sitting on the sofa taking it all in. I hear 4 year old Lindsey at the top of the stairs saying Mommy Daddy Santa's here Santa's here and Mom goes up the stairs to walk her down and Dad gets back inside and takes her other hand and they walk together into the living room. Lindsey's eyes were as big as saucers..... and that is when it became, for me forever a memory and a Merry Christmas.

Richard
Matlock,

You sure know how to tell stories. Reading this one was like actually being there and living it.

Thank you
"Peekin' In The Wrong Window Again Award "
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Anna for this post:
  • Cammalu (11-18-2017), Snikwahjm (11-18-2017), Matlock (11-18-2017)
(11-17-2017, 11:53 PM)Anna Wrote: Matlock,

You sure know how to tell stories. Reading this one was like actually being there and living it.

Thank you

Sometimes, the story just runs away with you as you type. 
Thank you, Anna

Richard
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Matlock for this post:
  • Anna (11-18-2017)
As a surprise baby and number 6 child in sixteen years, I had parents that were worn out. There was no santa, just lots of family. We always had a live tree in a tub that got planted in the backyard  one year I knocked over the tree twice . In 1962 we had glass lights and bulbs, tin tinsel and large rocks holding the root sack and tree upright  Not to mention the water in the tub  

I am supprised I made it to my fourth birthday. 

Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • Anna (11-18-2017)