Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tape
I presume everybody has a roll of duct tape in their kits.

But there are several other tapes you should consider adding to your box of tricks.

Electrical Tape:  Lots of cheap electrical tape made in China or wherever around, but this crap will, eventually, come unstuck and cause problems down the road.  Professional electricians use only 3M tape - Super 33+, or the even heavier Super 88 are the preferred products.  If you want to color code wires, the cheap import tape in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and White is adequate for a non-critical use like that.

Teflon Tape:  Most of you may be familiar with the white tape used on threaded fittings.  However, this single density tape is only supposed to be used on small water lines.  There is a yellow, double-density tape designed specifically for petroleum liquids and gasses, which is sometimes called "gas" tape.  It's what you should be using on propane fittings.  (BTW, there are also special tapes for special jobs like hospital oxygen and breathable gas lines, etc.)

Silicone Emergency Tape:  A special tape that won't stick to anything except itself.  It self-fuses when wrapped over itself, and it's great for plumbing leaks and rubber engine hoses that have sprung a leak.  It's sometimes called "aeronautical" tape from being used on aircraft.  F4 is a good brand, that claims to EXCEED the Mil-Spec standards for such tape.  Insulates 8,000 volts per layer, 950 psi tensile strength, resists heat up to 500 degrees F.  Good stuff.

EternaBond Tape:  A waterproof tape used for patching leaky roofs on RVs, it's so good that it's considered a more or less permanent repair, unlike sticking a piece of duct tape over it.

VHB Tape:  (Very High Bond) is a double sided tape from 3M that they claim can replace rivets, screws, and even welds.  It is super strong, and will probably damage any surface you stuck it to if you try to remove it.  It's also very expensive.  But it has it's uses.

Dual Lock Tape:  Another product from 3M.  No I don't own any stock in the company.  This is like Velcro on steroids.  Way stronger, and will hold a lot more weight.  This is the stuff used to stick Eze-Pass units to windshields

Gaffer Tape:  Used by stage hands and roadies to tape down wires, etc.  Great for temporary uses. Not as strong as duct tape, but usually strong enough, and it leaves no adhesive residue behind when it is pulled up.
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-02-2017), Texjbird (11-03-2017), Cammalu (11-03-2017), TWIH (11-27-2017), Kathleen (11-30-2017), GypsyDogs (01-08-2018), heron (06-21-2018), (01-25-2020)