Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like I have adopted a dog.
(10-14-2017, 12:17 PM)sternwake Wrote: I kind of want her to be more protective of the van.  Yesterday, when I opened the back door to put my laundry bag in it, I was hoping for her to bark aggressively, as she would do at the UPS man or Amazon delivery drivers when she lived next door, but nothing.   When I came around to the side doors she was sitting there looking relieved it was me.
I'm betting she knew it was you, even before the door was opened. Dogs have a powerful sense of smell.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
  • Cammalu (10-17-2017)
(10-17-2017, 08:37 AM)Ballenxj Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 12:17 PM)sternwake Wrote: I kind of want her to be more protective of the van.  Yesterday, when I opened the back door to put my laundry bag in it, I was hoping for her to bark aggressively, as she would do at the UPS man or Amazon delivery drivers when she lived next door, but nothing.   When I came around to the side doors she was sitting there looking relieved it was me.
I'm betting she knew it was you, even before the door was opened. Dogs have a powerful sense of smell.

Yes they do.  And no matter what any one tells me, ever, I am sure they have a sixth, and more sense.  Mine have always known when one of their friends is on the way, having a bad day, or having a great day...  Dogs are awesome Smile
"Bertha" 27' Ford E450 Triton V10 Full time since 4/5/17
bLIp-bLOOp-bLOp -529 Forever- Will eat ticks for badges
YouTube = Driving Bertha 
Happy Trails!
bLEEps Big Grin
i can id who is coming by the sound of their tires on the road,sure a dog can id the footsteps
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc stickers
yarc stickers pirate edition
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gary for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (10-19-2017)
Its weird, her barking kind of excessively was one of the reasons her former owners disliked her, but she almost never barks now with me, and when she does there is a pretty good reason, and stops nearly instantly when I shush her.

During the day she often lays under the van and will bark at some cars that pass by.

She is/we are adapting well to the new living situation, though she still does goto the former home's gate. When the kids behind that gate have one of their meltdowns she gets antsy and wants to go over there. But in the past she also could not tolerate their incessant whining crying and carrying on like someone was hammering bamboo shoots up under their fingernails, and would come hang out with me instead. I am sure she is quite conflicted now.

Those kids have never showed any regard for her that I noticed, but Fiona also loves kids and I don't want to keep her from them, but for now I kind of feel I have to, until she fully understands the new situation, and I do not want her going over there.

She is so cuddly in the morning, insisting she lay on my chest, on her back, while i scratch her belly while she grunts and makes all sorts of cute noises until i finally get out of bed. I think she needs to go out and pee or something, but she never runs straight for a bush or anything, just wags her tail and tries to run to her former residence, until I call her back over and to follow me to the other house where I have bathroom priviliges and whose owner also likes her and usually has a treat for her.

We are kind of having a mini heat wave here now, I am very glad I upgraded my ventilation and can keep the interior as cool or cooler than outside when I go surfing.
I need to get a more spill proof water bowl, and I want to get a larger thermometer visible to the exterior of the van so potential doogooders realize that it is not baking hot inside and Fiona is fine.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • rvpopeye (10-17-2017), Snikwahjm (10-17-2017), AbuelaLoca (10-17-2017), Justacarsofar (10-19-2017)
I think you have it all wrong..... Confused

That pooch adopted you a long time ago ! Wink
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

I smell total, complete, head over heels kind of love in the air! And it sounds like it's being reciprocated! I know the feeling with my new baby. She's laying on my foot in the second chair at my current campsite (Indian Bread Rocks in AZ). Enjoy her!
Ted
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TedOnWalkabout for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (10-19-2017)
It is said that dogs have a sense of smell SEVENTY THOUSAND TIMES better than ours. And no telling what else.

Humans just have opposing thumbs and the ability to lie like rugs.
Sniff that sunset Fiona.

[Image: 20171017_175208.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • rvpopeye (10-18-2017), Snikwahjm (10-18-2017), TrainChaser (10-18-2017), slowdayz (10-18-2017), AbuelaLoca (10-18-2017)
Nice whiskers.
They used to have an off-leash Dog Beach in SD. Maybe take her there to bone up on socialization skills?
"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"