Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A HISTORY MYSTERY FOR ONLY A BUCK 50
A FEW DAYS AGO I WAS SEARCHING FOR SOMETHING AT MY LOCAL MISSION STORE.  I ALWAYS CHECK OUT THE LINENS/CURTAIN/COMFORTER & ETC  DEPTS. + CRAFT ITEMS AND SEWING MATERIALS AND SUPPLIES.

ON THAT DAY I FOUND A LARGE PRINTED PANEL OF MATERIAL THAT HAS SOME AGE TO IT.  I THINK IT'S ABOUT 50ys OLD GIVE OR TAKE IOys.  THE COLORS AND MAGICAL ANIMALS ARE WHAT FIRST CAUGHT MY EYE.  ALONG THE EDGE OF THE PANEL IS PRINTED "GUARANTEED DUTCH JAVA PRINT 1345R        VLISCO".  MY MAIDEN NAME FROM MY ADOPTED PARENTS IS VAN VALKENBURG.  I REMEMBER HEARING MY PARENTS REPEATEDLY SAYIN "NO  IT'S DUTCH" WHEN ASKED ABOUT THE ORIGINS OF OUR NAME.

THE PANEL HAS VARIOUS SHADES OF BLUES, GREENS, ORANGES, GOLDS, AND YELLOWS,  THESE COLORS INCLUDE THE TREES, FLOWERS, BUILDINGS AND THE ANIMALS.  

THERE ARE ORANGE MONKEYS WITH GREEN FACES IN TREES THAT HAVE DARK BLUE & MEDIUM BLUE STRIPED TRUNKS AND ORANGE FLOWERS, + ORANGE OR BLUE SEED PODS.  I BELIEVE SOME OF THE ANIMALS ARE CALLED CHINESE GUARDIAN LIONS OR FOO DOGS OR SHISHI.

I'VE GOOGLED THE PANEL AND LEARNED THAT VLISCO HAS BEEN IN THE TEXTILE INDUSTRY SINCE THE MID 1800s.   IN 1846 THE COMPANYS NAME WAS CHANGED TO P.F. van VLISSINGEN & CO.  A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY OWNED A SUGAR PLANTATION ON THE ISLAND OF JAVA, THE DUTCH EAST INDIES AND NOW INDONESIA.  HE HAD VISITED A LOCAL COMPANY THAT PRINTED BATIK CLOTH BY HAND. SAMPLES OF THE MATERIAL AND PRINTING PROCESS MADE THEIR WAY TO THE NETHERLANDS.

SO FOR $1.50 I HAVE A COOL PIECE OF FABRIC THAT I'M NOT SURE WHAT I'LL DO WITH.  I ALSO HAD A BUMPY TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE TO MY CHILDHOOD THAT SOMETIMES WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT SOME FOLKS CALL "NORMAL".   
SOMETIMES I'M SO YARC THAT YARC IS MY NEW "NORMAL"  Big Grin  
THE GEOGRAPHY LESSON AND HISTORY OF BATIK CLOTH WAS NICE.

TO ME THE BEST PART OF ALL THIS ARE THE COLORS, THE BUILDINGS AND THE CRITTERS DEPICTED ON THE FABRIC.

WHERE ELSE WILL I FIND A PIECE OF ART DEPICTING A MAGICAL LAND WITH ORANGE MONKEYS AND SHADES OF BLUE PRINTED GUARDION LIONS THAT CAN WATCH OVER QUEENIE AND I AS WE SLEEP?
ALL THIS WONDERMENT FOR A BUCK 50.  GO FIGURE   Rolleyes

I NEED SUGGESTIONS ON STABILIZING THE FABRIC.  I'M THINKING SOME LIGHT WEIGHT IRON ON INTERFACING. THE VERY EDGES OF IT HAVE A LITTLE UNRAVELING IN PLACES.

NOW IT'S GUACAMOLE SALAD TIME AND THEN WHEN IT COOLS DOWN THE Q AND I WILL
 GO ON A ICE RUN.
IT'S NICE TO SLEEP THE DAY AWAY WHEN IT'S ALMOST TOO HOT AND DAMP TO BREATHE.

I HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A GOOD WEEKEND.

JEWELLANN
I WAS NOT BUILT TO BREAK  

MY  Heart  IS GOOD....BUT OH THIS MOUTH
That sounds gorgeous -- any chance of a few close-up photos?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CatPerson for this post:
  • Texjbird (07-14-2019)
I’ve been staying out of thrift stores... cool stuff but I’m trying hard to down size.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • Texjbird (07-14-2019)
(07-13-2019, 03:52 PM)CatPerson Wrote: That sounds gorgeous -- any chance of a few close-up photos?
 I CAN'T TAKE AND POST PICTURES RIGHT NOW.  IT'S FRUSTRATING.  I THINK I CAN TAKE PICS WITH MY TABLET, HOWEVER I'M SO IGNORANT ABOUT POSTING STUFF, LIKE LINKS TO THINGS THAT I'D PROBABLY HAVE TO EMAIL TO A MEMBER AND ASK THEM TO POST.

I'M HOPING TO FIGURE THIS OUT SO THAT ONCE THE SAFARI IS EMPTY AND I START A "BUILD" INSTEAD OF JUST JACKING MY JAWS ABOUT ONE I'LL BE ABLE TO TAKE SOME PICTURES AND POST THEM TOO...SOME HOW.

JEWELLANN

P.S.  I DO HAVE A CELL PHONE WITH NO SIM CARD OR MINUTES.  I USE IT IN MY APT. AND YARD FOR MUSIC AND YOU TUBE VIDEOS.  I'M WONDERING IF I CAN TAKE A PIC AND THEN POST OR EMAIL IT TO SOMEONE USING MY WIFI? 

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE?
I WAS NOT BUILT TO BREAK  

MY  Heart  IS GOOD....BUT OH THIS MOUTH
I wanna see!!!! Yes your idea of interfacing sounds great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • Texjbird (07-14-2019)