Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost power in half of rv
Well, one of the worst things that can happen just did.
I lost power to the ac, refrigerator, lights, pumps. Outlets worked. That meant the power converter went out. I got the $143 part coming tomorrow. In the meantime, the mobile rv tech loaned me a battery charger so the ac will work.
I’m also getting a Renogy AGM battery. I don’t trust the one Camping World gave me.
In the great scheme of things, it’s not that bad, at least the repair isn’t that expensive. It is pretty bad to lose ac in the desert during summer.
One Stinkin Badge!
Yep, that's not good. I thought you were somewhere in Texas?
Wondering about Wandering.
(07-11-2019, 08:24 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Yep, that's not good. I thought you were somewhere in Texas?
Not yet, going to Hill Country in fall, then wintering on the Gulf. Big Bend in late winter.
much better than blowing through the state in 24 hours on a Greyhound Bus!
One Stinkin Badge!
Do you know which brand of converter it is that failed? WFCO?

These are notorious for poor reliability and for never going into 'Boost' mode, meaning they will not ever seek mid 14 volts for a period of time with a discharged battery. As such they basically cannot fully charge a battery and can only slowly get it up in the 95% charged range.

AGM batteries really despise not ever being brought to a true full state of charge. Their greater price tags do not impart immunity from chronic undercharging, they are likely more susceptible to degradation from it, than their cheaper flooded brethern.

Most people that actually use their batteries off grid, and want better battery life, upgrade to a different converter, like from Progressive dynamics, Iota, or Powermax.

I am biased towards the progressive Dynamics as they can have their automatic 'stages' overridden by pressing a button and forcing 4 more hours of holding the 14.4v, and doing so stands a much better chance of actually fully charging the battery, which is very important for battery life.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Texjbird (07-11-2019)
sternwake

Do you know which brand of converter it is that failed?  WFCO?

These are notorious for poor reliability and for never going into 'Boost' mode, meaning they will not ever seek mid 14 volts for a period of time with a discharged battery. As such they basically cannot fully charge a battery and can only slowly get it up in the 95% charged range.

AGM batteries really despise not ever being brought to a true full state of charge. Their greater price tags do not impart immunity from chronic undercharging, they are likely more susceptible to degradation from it, than their cheaper flooded brethern.

Most people that actually use their batteries off grid, and want better battery life, upgrade to a different converter, like from Progressive dynamics, Iota, or Powermax.

I am biased towards the progressive Dynamics as they can have their automatic 'stages' overridden by pressing a button and forcing 4 more hours of  holding the 14.4v, and doing so stands a much better chance of actually fully charging the battery, which is very important for battery life.
My reply, cursor has a mind of its own today.

i don’t know what kind of converter is was that failed, it I were a betting lady I would say the cheap unreliable one.

I’m getting this one: 
Arterra WF-8955-MBA 55 DC Amp Replacement Main Board Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A34G94/ref...jDbKYHNTXH

Thats what the rv tech recommended, it has good reviews. I hope it’s a good one, I’m not much of a betting lady.
One Stinkin Badge!
Pretty sure wf 8955 is the wfco part number. Though that is not advertised as a world friendship company converter

Funny....... I clicked that link a few hours ago. Then again now. Price went up 35$.

I know.pd makes.drop in replacements for the wfco units for those wanting better battery charging and reliability.
http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4655MBA-W...Sf7jHRlBdY

Sorry if this is too little, too late. Amazon return policy is quite good though.

This converter will treat a battery much much better than a wfco and should be a drop in replacement.
The Arterra is a three stage converter. Isn’t that what you want for an AGM battery?
One Stinkin Badge!
The wfco claims to be three stage too. Yet few ever see 2 of those.3 stages. Hope the one you ordered behaves as its marketing claims.

Agm batteries/all lead acid batteries want to be fully charged, always. How well and how.quickly any converter charger accomplishes the true full charge., after a discharge, is a vast subject with many influencing variables.

The main difference with agms, is when discharged to 50% range....they should receive higher amperage until absorption voltage is reached. Where flooded are less apt.to become.lazy from.lesser Initial.amperage rates.
Well, I’ll use the Arterra for about a year, then replace it preemptively with one of the top brands. I’m just real low on funds to be dealing with this right now. ☹️
One Stinkin Badge!