Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing up
I thought I would post this here, it's off topic and sort of a look back at the past but what the hell.

I am a member of Mother Natures Network, they do good things but I am not the atypical member, My avatar is the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. I made a comment on one of their articles and I had put a lot of thought into my response and my comment was the highest rated, big deal right? So towards the end of the other comments the moderator compliments me and thanks me for my service. He got reamed by several members for acknowledging my military career. I didn't respond in typical Gunny fashion, I just asked them who made them the arbitrators of life. Anyway it bothered me. 

Now there is a new two part "history of Vietnam" series on PBS I think. I haven't watched it, I was there. 

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/home/

I can guess the slant without watching it.

There's a new book out Titled 'Hue'....Hue was my introduction to sustained contact. I haven't read it either. I may buy it just for shits and giggles so I can have someone tell me how I feel or should feel. 

I was 17 years and 9 months old when I got in-country. I grew up there. Fast. 

Bob Wells called me a "boy" once on the open forum...I let it slide for awhile until another issue popped up and I told him had I been standing in front of him when he called me a boy I would have broken his jaw. This was in emails exchanged and I still have copies should anyone want to read them. Fuck Him.

Some have met me, I am not a physically imposing person, old, fat and  out of shape. But as god as my witness very few people scare me and he ain't one.

Today is my oldest Daughters 42nd Birthday. Happy Birthday Heather.

Did I ramble?

Gunny.

And the opening video on We Are The Mighty is about Jane Fonda...
Once More Unto The Breach, Dear Friends, Once More.
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Gunny for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (10-12-2017), AbuelaLoca (10-12-2017), Scott7022 (10-13-2017), Motrukdriver (10-27-2017), Anna (11-08-2017)
Thank you Gunny, I really likes ya and hope to meet if I ever get on the road. I was a young teenager during
that war, but remember well some men coming home. 1972-74 ??
Bless you dear Sir!
title~ "Deliberate Discharge" 3 "Stinkin Badges" 1 "Flying manure spreader" 1 "Pink Elephant"  Tongue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Justacarsofar for this post:
  • Gunny (10-12-2017)
Could never imagine how some Iowa kid gets sent to some rathole post to get yelled at, then is handed a rifle and in a few days is thousands of miles away with their clothes rotting off their back, a few months after that back in the land of the big PX like nothing happened.

Then non vets in charge of the VA get to brutalize you for the rest of your life.

I wonder if people are still trying to figure out what actually happened.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Gunny (10-13-2017)
Not a vet, they wouldn't have me. However talking about the topic, I don't even really know what "growing up" means anymore. As I was growing up, mostly what I saw was righteous hypocrisy sprinkled with lies and subterfuge. The few people I saw "trying" to be decent and do the right thing got taken advantage of, abused by a system, ground up and spat out. Most the time they came out the otherside broken and angry, broken and timid, or bent yet not broken and headed back into the fray for some more abuse. Some seem to recognize a fight that can't be won here and choose to look upwards into the heavens, I sometimes envy these people because man, what a sweet sounding crutch. I myself have recognized a value in the trusting of the unknown. I don't worship anything but an ideal of what humanity could be, but if I wasn't such a obstinate fellow, I could easily see where the worship would flow from towards an unknown. I seem to be getting off track, one of those days. So I think I will go take advantage of my crutch today and head to the beer store and get drunk! Don't judge me to harshly, I haven't grown up yet. 8-) Find your happy place or at least the place where the hate don't flow to deep.
Everyone has been talking about how incredible you are, I have to agree. You're pretty awesome! 
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (10-13-2017), Justacarsofar (10-13-2017)
There was a lot of backlash about Vietnam, and none of it was the soldiers' faults.  Our govt and the media just pointed to them as the 'reason' for the war, which is insane, even by U.S. standards.

Most of the people in this country are easily led in what passes for their 'thinking'.  They aren't very smart, and they are unable to figure out even the most basic ideas and conscepts.  Dogs are smarter than most people.  Actually, cockroaches are smarter than most people.

Try not to let them aggravate you with their stupid comments, as they don't know what they're talking about, anyway.  They'll just raise your blood pressure, and they simply AREN'T WORTH IT.  

Now, to take my own advice....... Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (10-15-2017)
(10-13-2017, 10:52 AM)TrainChaser Wrote:  Dogs are smarter than most people.  Actually, cockroaches are smarter than most people.

I'll buy the dog theory but cockroaches??
"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"
(10-13-2017, 08:40 AM)Wabbit Wrote: Some seem to recognize a fight that can't be won here and choose to look upwards into the heavens, I sometimes envy these people because man, what a sweet sounding crutch. I myself have recognized a value in the trusting of the unknown. I don't worship anything but an ideal of what humanity could be, but if I wasn't such a obstinate fellow, I could easily see where the worship would flow from towards an unknown. I seem to be getting off track, one of those days. So I think I will go take advantage of my crutch today and head to the beer store and get drunk! Don't judge me to harshly, I haven't grown up yet. 8-) Find your happy place or at least the place where the hate don't flow to deep.

Well, this is pretty close to describing me... however, I don't believe it's "unknown"... well, it's not unknown to me. It's a relationship I have (by the way, Jesus said one needed to be childlike to get it   Tongue ). Oh, and the other thing... I don't judge anyone for their beliefs, it is an inherent right of all humans to believe what they believe... even if you believe it's a crutch  Angel

But now I'm getting off track LOL  I was raised like you, around a lot of hypocrisy (mostly my mom!) and decided at a pretty young age that I absolutely would not be like her. I made a lot of mistakes reconciling my physical surroundings with my spiritual being, but I'm closer than I've ever been in my life and I like harmony and peace and no longer feel the need to fight... I tell my kids I did what I could to leave them a decent legacy but it's their world now and they have to do the work (like voting and standing up for the oppressed and abused). I want to ride off in to the sunset in Juanita and move if I don't like something!
viajes seguros
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to AbuelaLoca for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (10-13-2017), Wabbit (10-13-2017), Snikwahjm (10-13-2017), Cammalu (10-13-2017), rvpopeye (10-14-2017), Scott7022 (10-14-2017)
So I call up my preacher
I say: "Gimme strength for Round 5"
He said: "You don't need no strength, you need to grow up, son"
I said: "Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,
And dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.

Ill take that as a story!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Wabbit (10-14-2017), Justacarsofar (10-15-2017)