Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery water level caps
any experience with these things? sure would make life easier if they worked

just an example https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Watering-...B07DM88247
Your battery compartment looked easy enough to pop cap and look down into the cells.

I have had issues with not watering batteries in time. As they age they start using more and more water, even if one does not extend absorption durations, as is usually required to achieve a true full charge.

My batteries were a pain to check levels on, especially 3 of the 12 cells.

Now i just have one group 27 agm where 2 flooded 27s used to reside, and ive not laid eyes on it in well over a year. I used to have a 27 or 31 in engine compartment too. No more.
I use one of these for the marine battery in my motorcycle trailer: https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-MP2010-...ing+system 

along with one of these to fill it: https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2020-...4QFV403GMV  Stick one end in the gallon distilled water jug and connect the other to the filler tube.  Squeeze until it stops pumping and the battery is full.  I have to go out the once a month to fill it. 

Thinking of getting an AGM motorcycle battery to replace it with when it dies.  It's a simple chore that I hate. Angry
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
I can access my flooded batts fairly easily but can't see into the cells directly. I bought one of those bloop-bloop jug waterers for no-look filling. Totally worth the $12 or whatever.
---
frater/jason
FT around El Paso:  159" Promaster, 570w
blog | campervan | RVwiki

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
  • rvpopeye (02-21-2019)
my problem is i just cant see the water surface to get a accurate reading,probably just go with a little over filled and let it boil off
I know the term 'boil off' is widely accepted and understandable.

But the boiling point of sulfuric acid is 638.6F.

So I have issues with it.

Overfilling can cause electrolyte to drip down the sides of the battery, and that which drips to the floor is not only corrosive, but then when the battery is at some later date, refilled, then the maximum specific gravity can never attain that which it was, as that acid dripped down the side of the battery.

So overfilling and Oh well, well if it is enough to cause it to drip down the sides, then the electrolye strength is forever after weaker.

Which is not desirable.

But whether it ultimately affects the lifespan of the battery is certainly argueable.

Weaker electrolyte will have the battery not retain the voltage as well and could give the appearance of a sulfated battery to the person watching a voltmeter somewhat closely during discharge.

A weaker acid solution will not eat the plates as quickly, so a lightly used battery rarely cycled could in theory last longer, even though it will not appear to perform as well, voltage retention during discharge wise.

Recharging could then take longer too, and if this is not compensated for,thten the battery risks being chronically undercharged which will easily influence battery longeveity.

So the overfill and simply 'boil off' mentaity, is unwise, to put it kindly.

Wear a freaking headlamp when looking into the cells. The only difficulty in judging level is when there is lack of light, or lack of access to look straight down into the cell. I used to have to use a mirror and flashlight for the three hard to access cells or unscrew my fridge and back it out a foot and judging those 3 sells with a mirror was certainly a pain in the ass.
Use a makeup compact mirror.   Use a phone camera.  

I have a friend, former coworker, whose grandson filled up the battery cells of his golf cart.  Six batteries, 6 volt,  actual maroon colored Trojans, filled to the top with a hose.  The battery capacity, distance range, was never the same.  He gave up and sold the golf cart.
Say good night, Dick.
the eyes wont focus that close and the mirror/flashlights method wasnt muck better

what i am referring to as "overfill" is an 1/8 or so up the filling hole flange instead of at the bottom

when i spend some money on batteries i think i will go with one of the sealed versions,napa battery is doing a good job for the time being
I would.not get one of those sealed flooded maintenance free marine batteries that are being sold at some places.

They might be ok as starter batteries. But when cycled require higher vOltages applied longer or they will dive off a cliff taking their lazy dumbass owner with them.

Beware of marketing and remember everything today is all about maximum profit by catering to the stupid and lazy ignorant faithful zeitgeist.
took about 2 cup between the 6 cells,once the water contacts the flange i can see it

changed the controller from gel 14v charging to flooded 14.68 charging(controller says 14.2 and 14.8) so i will keep it there and just check the water somewhat often,if the sun stays in about an hour i will see what it is doing when the battery is 100%