Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where I have been lately
Much more polite than how I usually describe them REMFs, but I've been known to cause shellbacks to blush
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
And the road leads ever onward
Lincoln NF, NM

ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
yea, be law enforcement! Walk up unto the unknown and possibly die real fast. Not badge heavy at all. Life survival training and how to approach the unknown. They are smart, it is the idiots who 'think the are not right' doing their survival training on approach that make me cringe. Give in immediately. State your purpose and show no crazy. Then they can back down and be a normal human with normal interaction.

well, anyway, just addressing that point as I see it...............….

the pics on this thread are wonderful and the elk story peeping is fab!! Sounds like you are quite enjoying your travels and having a blast while doing it. Your dogs are so cute also Smile Rock on and thanks for great pics of what you are doing. Enjoying see it all from your van!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to RoamerRV428 for this post:
  • Cammalu (01-25-2019), fantym1 (01-25-2019)
Law enforcement are on the front line daily. They never know what they are dealing with and to survive have to be on alert at all times. This is super stressful and leaves most of them with a good case of PTSD. It’s a tough job knowing that the next person you speak with could go totally ballistic for no apparent reason.

Doesn’t matter if you are little if you have a gun.
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • Queen (01-25-2019), fantym1 (01-25-2019)
(01-25-2019, 08:27 AM)Cammalu Wrote: Law enforcement are on the front line daily. They never know what they are dealing with and to survive have to be on alert at all times. This is super stressful and leaves most of them with a good case of PTSD.  It’s a tough job knowing that the next person you speak with could go totally ballistic for no apparent reason.

Doesn’t matter if you are little if you have a gun.

I truly do understand & I appreciate MOST of them doing it. C4 comes in small pkgs. & having most of my cousins being LEO, I am always very polite. I don't take my weapon out of the van, unless it's @ a shooting range. I keep my campsite clean & the furbys on cable, if not on leash.
I was set up in clear view of Song Dog Rd & had introduced myself to Ranger in Hot Springs & the older (than myself) woman who was running the cattle on that area, letting them know I was camping, wasn't letting my furbys run loose, not having any fires, etc, about a week prior to the game wardens visit.
I've been visited by LEOs before, several times - it's their job. This was the only time I felt threatened by a LEO visit, so yes, they got a 'tude right back.
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
These are Palmetto SP, TX

ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge

More Palmetto SP.
I recommend NOT visit during mosquito season (Mar-Oct) for obvious reasons. We were there in Dec & the weather was wonderful; it was buzzard mating flight time!
Saw 1 lone brilliantly colored bird, painted bunting (?) out in the swamp & I think he must've been too old to migrate as it was very late in the season for them.
Only saw one snake (rattler, so watch your step, whenever, & yes, it's posted).
There was 1 deer that was limping badly, several deer surrounding it protectively, while we walking about late 1 afternoon - heard the coyotes celebrating that nite. Such is life.
The trails there are handicap (WC) accessible w/boardwalks thru the swamp
FYI: just west (on I-10) are rest areas (EB/WB) & each picnic pavilion has an electric outlet
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge

This is from the West Canyon Loop trail @ S Llano River SP, TX

The trail to the left goes STEEPLY downhill. I knew I should've packed rappelling gear!  The trail's rated moderately strenuous. Ha! Gypsy & Trav were both ded dawgs for about 8 hrs after we did this trail. So was I.
It's Turkey roosting season there til 1 Apr, so the day use areas close @ 1500. The poults are quite intriguing, according to Mr Trav, who couldn't figure them out, even standing up on his hind legs
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
looks like a great place to tool around on a bike
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • fantym1 (03-20-2019)
(03-20-2019, 03:05 PM)Blacktank Wrote: looks like a great place to tool around on a bike

Yes, perhaps suicidal in spots ...
There's 22+ miles of trails, mostly back country; we only managed to hike about 1/2 of them. Spring break= full campsites, so we day-tripped & spent nites in various truck stops in Junction - it's only 5mi S of I-10.
It's very important to do a weather recon for that Park during Spring & especially Fall, as the Llano Rivers tend to flooding, the debris fields are still impressive from Oct '18, even up on the trail leading to the primitive camp & West Canyon Loop trail
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge