Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propane Fridge
Anyone have experience with one ? I have used them in rv's and had good luck. I'm considering one for a cargo van and looking for actual experience with different makes.
Mine was brand new and busted in less than two years. In the Dometic fine print on the warranty the second year of warranty coverage only applies if you have the fridge professionally serviced after one year of use. So I would say they don’t have a lot of faith in their product if it requires an annual service and cleaning to be worthy of warranty.

So my experience it that a Dometic DM2652 is overpriced junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Dometic in my travel trailer is 8 years old and has only failed once due to the sensor being knocked off the fins by being over loaded. I would replace it with a 12 volt if I could but it keeps going.
My Dometic 4.3 CF fridge is 18 years old and still going on propane and 12V (use 12V while driving only). The 120V heating rod is shot and I can't get it out (stuck) to replace it but I would only use it where I had shore power anyway.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
the problems with propane fridge would be the propane tanks,plumbing,venting,new they are spendy,need to be level to work,cant drive with it on

12v fridge,spendy and small but plug n play and have read from experts that a danfoss compressor should run for 20-30 years

the "cheap" way is a 110v dorm fridge,can get them cheap but the inverter,batteries and solar you need is not

in a cargo van i would opt for a 12v fridge but i'm not a fan of propane to begin with
I stay in the same campsite for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and I don't know if I could rely on 12 volt without solar.
I would go 2 way fridge 12volt/ 110v with solar. The 3 way I am told draw a lot more 12 volt for some reason. I have had a 3 way and the propane was always a problem to light mind you it was very old. I have a Norcold front opener 2 way in one of my vans and it hasn’t failed yet. It is the original one that was installed in 1993 and still looks like new other then a bit of crack in the plastic on the door. I don’t think it got a lot of use over those years judging by it;s condition. I plan on installing a small 12 volt dometic compressor fridge in another one of my vans likely do that this summer. I have solar.
need solar for a 12v or if you drive a lot alternator to house battery charging

if you have hook ups you could get a $50 dorm fridge and plug it in,i see them on craigslist all the time

for a propane conversion i would check a wrecking yard for a campervan and steal the tanks and stuff off it,still would have to cut a vent in the side of your van and mount the tanks somewhere
I camp in the west 7 mo. a year on public land. I've been lately in a cabover camper with a dometic 3 way fridge. It works beautifully, I've always used it on propane. Runs 3 weeks on 2 1/2 gallons of propane. That's cheaper than ice and much less hassle. That's why I'm looking for a propane fridge. I have no need for solar, and don't want the expense. Thanks for the responses, 12 volt won't work for my lifestyle.
Then get a older propane fridge because the newer ones need 12 volt for the control board