Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windshield wiper motor failure
This is the sort of failure which is unlikely to happen, other than at the most inopportune time.

My failure was mid rainstorm, at 70mph, interstate, with no Nearby exits or pull offs or overpasses. The wipers failed in the 12:00 position

Usually I keep the windshield waxed, Which would have made continuing to drive  especially at highway speeds where the beads of water fly up the windshield, relatively simple, but I've been a slacker in this department lately.
Luckily there was that small area unwiped by the wipers down low which still had the water bead enough that I could see, slightly.  I slowed down to 55 or so and kept going until I could safely pull over somewhere protected. 

When i finally got to bridge underpass, out of the rain, I checked the glass fuse, which appeared good, then I bridged the terminals anyway with the a binder clip, and no difference.
Pop the hood, put my finger on the motor body and i can feel it buzzing, and getting an ear  closer, when all the traffic passed, i could hear the gears grinding inside.

I manually moved the wipers and the grinding continued  and got louder, but they caught own then up and stopped in the same spot, stalled at 12:00 again.

Yep, definitely the gears were stripped.  I Unplugged the electrical connector, as the contacts inside were going to keep the motor spinning until the main gear reached the spot that would indicate the wipers were in the down position.

I had some car wax with me, so I squeegeed the window, applied it, laughed at the thought of haze forming in 100% humidity, wiped it off and continued on, with no further major visibility issues.  I was kind of surprised that the water beaded as nicely as it did without the wax drying to a haze then being wiped off, but it did.

So then comes the replacement part game.

Goto rock Auto, see a few part numbers, they are all around 50$.  I see no replacement gears to simply replace the stripped gear.

I plug in the Rock Auto part product parts numbers and find similar prices all over the net for the same brands. The local AP stores are nearly double the price, and they all would have had to order it anyway.

RockAuto also Lists  the OE part number, and I C&P this into the address bar, and now Amazon and Ebay are showing hundreds of hits, with prices varying from 26$, to 190$.

I can see No obvious differences between these parts, none claim to be built to any higher standard, and I did not bother removing my 30 year old  broken motor to really get a better idea of what to look for.  I wound up ordering  a 32$ part from Amazon with free shipping and it arrived today, and then I removed the original failed motor.

There are a few minor visible exterior differences, amd the new motor has a build date of September of 2018!  No country of origin though.

Dodge actually did a good design of mounting the wiper motor isolated by rubber bushings.  The failure seems to be due to whatever grease they used, which seems like it was white lithium grease, having dried out.

There is a brass worm gear on the motor's rshaft, which spins a plastic gear which directly spins the shaft and  lever which moves the wiper arms.  This plastic gear has the angled grooves to accept the brass worm gear.  the plastic was well worn and stripped badly in the one area.  The bushing at the far end of the brass worm gear was also sloppy.  This bushing has a receptacle for a Flat head screwdriver on the exterior.  If someone were so inclined, they could remove this bushing, and inject fresh grease into this area, and likely prolong the lifespan of the original motor, but full disassembly is required and injecting grease effectively would not be easy.  The backing plate which allows access to the worm and plastic gears are riveted on, and needed to be drilled so I could see what it looked like inside.  Even if I could buy the replacement gear, and replace it, i would have to drill and tap the body to close it back up.

The new motor has a hole where the original had this threaded bushing to accept the end of the rotor.  This is not confidence inspiring regarding the quality of the new motor.

The brushes of the old motor had Plenty of life left in them, but simply replacing the plastic gear which stripped, even if I could find a suitable replacemet part, would not be simple. 

I've not installed the new motor yet  Seems that open hole at the motors rotor should be protected from  mositure ingress, or allowing the grease they installed to degell, drain and become ineffective.  Some of the wiring appears as if it can be protected better.

Anyway I'll update this with photos a bit later once I bust out the real camera get some unblurry photos, and upload them,  Right now some Ospho is doing its thing to the rust on the steel mounting plate which holds the motor suspended in rubber.  The wiper valance also needs some touching up while i have everything apart.

The two main takeways of this post are to wax your windshield regularly, so that the water beads an one can still easily see though the windshield should the wipers fail during the mother of all rainstorms.  I used to use rainX, and i hear Aquapel is as good, and lasts longer.  The reduced  friction of the wipers on waxed smooth  windshield should also cause less stress to the wiper motor gears, extending their life.

Takeaway number 2 is that one should use RockAuto to find not only the replacement of the failed product that they offer, but to look for the OE part number, and then  post that  number into a search engine,  I saved some 20$ by doing so, but of course the product quality of what I got is a bit suspect, but that could be true of the more expensive part as well.

This part was used for some 13 model years through many chrysler products,  Junkyard replacement  parts are certanily an option too, but the newest model year this part was used was 1993. so anyjunkyard part might be on its way to failure too, even if the original part is likely made well better tha nwhat is available today, as today, autoparts in general, are junk designed to fail in short order
I do not think this  failure could have easily been prevented, or delayed by a significant amount of time, the thing is 30 years old and the lubricant was the consistency of blue cheese.  If I did not have any car wax, or something to apply to make the water bead from my windshield, I could NOt have safely continued driving, and would have had to remain put on the side of the highway until it stopped raining several hours later, which would have sucked.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Blanch (12-21-2018), Kaylee (12-22-2018)
Good information Sternwake. I’m glad it worked out ok.

I was driving in one hell of a rainstorm, up I-5, with winds gusting. My TT was pretty tough to keep in its lane and my visibility sucked. I pulled into a gas station somewhere in the Central Valley. A gentleman walks up to me, he is also towing a big trailer. He says he saw me having trouble on the highway, and that he was a seasoned tower and this was tough for him as well. Anyhow, this guy crawls up in the hood of my truck, in a rainstorm and windstorm, and applies rainx to my windshield. He assured me this will help. It sure did! It was amazing. I had never even heard of it. I still had the wind to deal with, but my visibility was now pretty good! I never got the guys name, but he really did me a big favor.

I highly recommend the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blanch for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-22-2018)
I hear that.

The RainX at night, can leave a bit of a rainbow starburst from other vehicle's headlights, which is why I stopped using it, in favor of a certain marine polish which seemed to work as well, lasted longer and did not have that starburst effect at night with oncoming headlights.

That marine wax seemed to have its formula changed though, and become less effective, Which is slacker reason number 2 for not keeping up on this.

I always loved how at highways speeds the water would rush off the windshielf wth somethig applied, and RainX was almost psychedelic. All those parts outside the reach of the wiper blades, one could easily see out of as well.

I have read online about AQUAPEL not causing the starburst pattern at night with oncoming headlights, and that it also lasts longer than RainX, but I cannot confirm this myself.

I am actually wanting to replace that marine polish which used to work so well but seemed to have had its formula changed, with a similar product I can use on other things. That stuff ( Star Brite marine polish with PTEF) would have the water bead off the hull of my surfboards for many may surf sessions before fading, but the last batch was no better than turtle wax, which is not impressive in the slipperiness of the finish, nor its durability fading after one surf session But i was given a bottle and that is what i used recently.

I also like keeping the wipers themselves clean so that they do not chatter or leave streakes when i do use them. I kind of slacked of on this lately too, but with walmarts cheapest replacements, recently installed, they still wipe cleanly, when the wipers actually moved.

Having the water bead off one's windshield in any inclement weather, makes for much less stressful driving. Had I kept up with it, I would be still blissfully unawares my wiper motor gears were about to strip.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Blanch (12-21-2018)
This is a good reminder for me. I leave Wednesday for Arizona and the weather will be rain for half the trip if the predictions are correct. I’ll put some of the rainx I have on the windshield tomorrow.

Anyone else out driving in the weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smile Thanks for the RainX info.  That's my "one new thing" I learned today.  I wonder if when I take off the Safari's bug shield on the hood and remove the 100ys worth of green algae growing under it if a good application of RainX will slow it's regrowth.  'Cuz maybe it will not stick? 

AL and KY are the only states I've lived in that I've seen cars, homes, sheds, and even one good ol' boy that wuz trying to get a wee bit too close to me Wink with a lot of green algae growing on 'em.  
At least a good car wash<<<<{I Hope} will take care of the hood and ol' whats his name   Big Grin

JewellAnn
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
i've had issues with rainx blurring as the wiper passed over but you almost dont need wipers with the stuff

my motor works fine but the wiper fluid pump is broken,connected to the motor and the motor is up high under the dash,was there today and could only see one bolt,will look under the cowl and see if there are any there,might just convert to a on the bottle pump like my 85 truck
I use the rainx washer fluid, it’s good for the sub zero temps we get here and still provides that nice sheeting effect.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
  • Texjbird (12-22-2018)
I've had the rainX not work very well when I applied it to a somewhat dirty windshield, or ised it on a rag to clean the windshield. I believe it works best when applied to a well cleaned and dry windshield. I tried to reapply it at a gas station in montana mid rainstorm once and it seemed to get worse afterwards.

Gary When ibought a 73 holden in Australia, 2 decades ago, which is basically an Australian Chevy many of the same parts, , the washer pump did not work as it was supposed to, but apparently a previous owner had some workaround pump rigged up on the dash to pass inspection, it worked great.

My Dodge has the pump in the bottom of the reservoir bottle next to the radiator, I've removed it and backflushed it when it was seeming weak, some 10 years ago. Still working, but will likely now quit since I mentioned it.
" Still working, but will likely now quit since I mentioned it."
I'm not sure why but that does seem to be one of the universal rules !
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
Thanks to Sternwake for the excellent postmortem and to everyone for the testimonials about repellants!

Does RainX/etc help with snow, too?

The very first time I drove in (snow) white out conditions, was also the time my window wipers suddenly decided to go all bendy on me (scary!). Immediately took my foot off the gas, flipped on defrost at max, turned off wipers, and got off at the next exit.
Defrost at max made a major improvement!

P.S. This was after Firefly, so my distress was reduced by hearing the voice of Jayne Cobb muttering about things going all "bendy". Wink
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!