Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window tint
Hi all,

Exposing more of my inadequate product knowlege here. I was under the mistaken impression that minivans and suv’s (like the Edge I am getting) that have the factory dark windows are the same as aftermarket window tint in what it does.  Apparently I am wrong, who’d have guessed?  Duh.

I did some online reading and apparently the factory glass is not tinted as much as it is “dyed” and offers mainly (or almost only) privacy vs. reflecting UV and heat.

Heres an article that talks about it: (Tintworld.com)

January 24, 2017 in Auto Window TintingAutomotiveServices by Tint World Blogger

Tint World is the #1 car window tinting installation center for over 30 years, but even with our experience in automotive window tinting, our Tint World locations often get asked about the difference between factory tinted windows versus aftermarket window tinting. [img=300x0]https://www.tintworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/content-img-one-300x194.png[/img]

Most, if not all, new models, especially SUV’s and Mini-Vans, come equipped with a dark, 15% visible light transmission “factory tint” on vehicle windows, other than the front driver and passenger windows and of course, the windshield.
Most consumers believe that since the glass is already tinted, there is no need to install an after-market window film, other than potentially matching their front windows to the existing tinted glass. SUV owners are not aware that the factory tinted glass has a very limited heat rejection coefficient and in most cases virtually no ultraviolet; UVA or UVB reduction!

While the glare is reduced by nearly 80% and passengers have additional privacy, the heat gain through factory tinted glass is very often extreme for passengers and the UV rays can remain un-blocked!

For our Tint World technicians, there are two issues that our professionals need to consider when approaching a factory tinted vehicle:
* The first is the critical requirement to “match” the color of the aftermarket window film and the flat reflectivity; or rather non reflective, elements of the “factory tinted” glass. It makes little sense for an SUV driver to install a window tint that is shiny or a completely different color hue, as compared to the balance of their vehicle’s glass. This issue is resolved by having a non-reflective window film installed like the Tint World “Supreme Carbon Package” or the “Ultimate CXP Package” Technology Window Films. In both instances, the front driver and passenger windows will have a perfect color match to the rear glass.

* The second is the critical requirement of vehicle owners to be familiar with their local state tint laws and only install front window visible light transmission films that meet the statutes. For example, the requirement in Florida is a 28% VLT for front windows. The installation of window film on a windshield is not legally permitted, with the exception of a strip that is frequently installed on the top of the windshield glass from the interior right up to the AS1 line.

The aftermarket professionally installed films by Tint World have nearly 99.9% UVA and UVB rejection and heat rejection at a factor of double or more compared to the “factory tinted” rear windows, protecting the safety and health of passengers.
Many SUV drivers will have a very light 50% VLT film or higher installed on the interior glass of the “factory tinted” glass to gain double the heat rejection and UV rejection without adding any additional reflectivity to the glass! In addition, with the rapid growth of on-board electronics and Bluetooth technology, these Tint World films will not interfere with EM signals that also relate to GPS, radar detectors or premium satellite radio like XM or Sirius.”

End of quote

So I guess I may be visiting a reputable tint shop for some aftermarket tint after all...
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Organized people are simply too lazy to search for stuff.
Look into the 3M Crystaline It is excellent against uv and heat...and it is clear!

I put this on my window shield. Because tint isn’t allowed on the window shield, this stuff is great. The dash gets quite warm in the full summer sun..but not hot. The steering wheel never gets too hot to handle. Great stuff.

I put the darkest tint allowed by Florida Law (FL plates) on the side windows. It doesn’t do as good a job as the crystaline, but it is darker for a bit of privacy....and lots cheaper.

1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
I’ve been watching some YT vids on the windshield ceramic and my problems are twofold:

First you need a good, non-starred or sand pitted windshield to start with for vision.

Second the first rock that cracks the windshield just wasted all that $...

That’s my concern and issue...
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Crystaline in applied to the inside of the windshield.

How many windshields have you actually lost due to cracks or holes from rocks or other?

In 50+ years of driving I have lost only 2 windshields, both on interstate driving. (Last one was back in 2004). Doesn’t seem like it is often enough to be a consideration.

1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
After I had my van windows limo tinted I found that the tint was nearly worthless for repelling heat. I still had to use Reflectix during the day.
this is the top of the line stuff https://www.huperoptikusa.com/products/ceramic-series/

can only get it through their installers and it will cost you,3m and a couple more suppose real close

make sure you dont get the stuff with metal in it,it will mess with radio/tv/cell signals
(12-12-2018, 09:04 AM)ratfink56 Wrote: After I had my van windows limo tinted I found that the tint was nearly worthless for repelling heat. I still had to use Reflectix during the day.

That must have made the driving difficult.
^ Periscope.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ratfink56 for this post:
  • BCGuy (12-12-2018)
I am dubious of the claims of some window tints and or the carefully worded marketing that can make on think they are magical products.

I've been using the Ap store grade tint on my rear door windows. The conversion van windows are smoked glass.
The smnoked glass heats up so much in direct sun, and they will radiate a lot of heat inside, in addition to the sunlight which also makes it in then heats up whatever it shines upon.

I've made some 3 peice duallayered cardboard cutouts which slide up into the conversion window frames and lock in place They have black conbstruction paper, later painted flat black on the side facing out and some old curtains adhered on the inside.  

While they reduce ALL light when installed, they will astill heat up and radiate that heat inside.  My windows have a Oak frame and various attachment methods, and i run black bungee cord actross these, and my pillows or extra blankets usually get held tightly against the windows and pretty much prevent all heat entry from sunight hitting the windows.  While not much work to remove the pillows, the cardboard cutouts can be irritating to reinstall and I often say F it and allow no light to come through.

The black cardboard cuts outs are not easily noticed unless looked at closely when the seams become obvious.

I would enjoy a film on the inside of these smoked glass conversion windows to not only make the seams less obvious but more to reduce radiation of the hot window to the interior.  That said I am not going to pay a lot of money for this desire and am not all that great at doing tint myself, and am dubious of any interior film to actually reduce the interior emissivity of the smoked glass, as I do not want a mirror finish on the inside.

My Door's pop out windows, i can easily remove the window and hardware and tint it myself on a nice table and can do an acceptable job.  The issue has been piss poor quality tint which seems to get all foggy on the interior, then when cleaned leaves a sparkly crusty streak on the paper towels even when only water is used as a cleaner.  hatwever finish was there to either protect from scratches of reduce emissivity, is gone.  All these windows with tint at about 3 years of age are now kind of cloudy.  These do seem to not heat up as much as the smoked converion van windows and radiate as much heat to the interior, but the sunlight which makes it through the glasss and tint can still bake whatever it hits seeming with little attenuation.

No doubt a better tint would do much better in the visibility and heat reflection/emissivity  aspects.

But the desire for better tint just for light or heat reduction is firmly on the want side of the need/want list at the moment, Mostly as I have more then enough ventilation, so that interior heat is rarely an issue.

What i do want is some non stick one way mirror tint for the front windows so Fiona can look out of her perch and not be seen by doogooders who think my van gets as hot as the interior of their vehicle in direct sun.

My Reflectix window shades for the front 3 windows are all tore up.  Time to buy a new roll and make a new set.
(12-12-2018, 08:27 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: Crystaline in applied to the inside of the windshield.

How many windshields have you actually lost due to cracks or holes from rocks or other?

In 50+ years of driving I have lost only 2 windshields, both on interstate driving.  (Last one was back in 2004).   Doesn’t seem like it is often enough to be a consideration.

Rock 2 years ago, another rock about 4 months ago. Before that, it had been 15 or so years, however if I had paid for expensive windshield tint in the last 2 years I’d have been screwed.