Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie & Fawkes, rising from ashes
Some degreaser could be a big help in pinpointing a leak if that's the prob..
Plus a clean engine is a good thing too.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Kaylee (04-05-2019)
(03-26-2019, 09:45 PM)GotSmart Wrote: Just remember that in a new rebuild it takes a little time to reseat the rings.  Do another oil change as soon as you can.  The break in period can be hard on the oil.

This is a used engine with no history provided (mileage, compression test).
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Kaylee (04-05-2019)
When idling for a bit at a redlight, then giving it gas to accellerate on the green, does a blue cloud of smoke exit tailpipe for a second?

If so This would indicate worn valve stem seals, and while I have not replaced them personally, I am told it is not a hard job with the right tools.

Worn, or stuck piston rings can also led to more oil burning.

Some people advocate a 'piston soak' with a solvent like Seafoam or marvel Mystery oil. Remove the sparkplugs, pour some solvent into the holes, overnight or longer. Turn the engine over without the plugs in place to expel any left over liquid and prevent hydrolocking before returning plugs and attempting to start.

Will this unstuck cylinder rings? Perhaps. perhaps they are just worn and not stuck in which case the piston soak would do nothing.

I think i would use a high detergency motor oil and run shorter oil change intervals and open and inspect the pleats of the oil filter, and check the oil level often.

Some who have done piston soaks claim to find carbon in the pleats of the filter they surmise came from the rings.

i wonder so much about the used engine, but one of them is how long it sat being unused before being asked to work again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Kaylee (04-05-2019)
(03-27-2019, 09:42 PM)sternwake Wrote: i wonder so much about the used engine, but one of them is how long it sat being unused before being asked to work again.

That is a great question.  I used to buy junkyard engines back in the day and never really had any problems with them but in those days, I got to check the whole car out and hear the engine run before I bought it.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
  • Kaylee (04-05-2019)
1,check for leaks,should be a oily mess,might have to lay under with a flashlight

2,replace pcv with oem brand,they are cheap $5 or so
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • Kaylee (04-05-2019)
(03-28-2019, 07:51 AM)B and C Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 09:42 PM)sternwake Wrote: i wonder so much about the used engine, but one of them is how long it sat being unused before being asked to work again.

That is a great question.  I used to buy junkyard engines back in the day and never really had any problems with them but in those days, I got to check the whole car out and hear the engine run before I bought it.

one reason i wanted them to put on those rebuilt heads,one look at the cylinders will tell you a lot,got her out of the middle of nowhere and the frozen tundra so i am satisfied with the purchase,limp it along and save for a rebuild by an engine rebuilder and not a engine assembler like the autoparts sell

thought you dodge guys said the 318 is a good engine? glad i held out for a chevy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • Kaylee (04-05-2019)
Quick update:
Wednesday, got to the Mark Twain NF site.
Hotspot showed bars, but GoPhone has none, so no way to activate brain dead Straight Talk. Sad
Otherwise fine. :-)

Drove into town, no GoPhone bars. Sad
Tried free WiFi & tablet, ST site whined about old browser, I tried its Spanish option, which accepted PIN for new data card, and sent an SMS to the hotspot, which seems to be working.

Will try Library WiFi & laptop.
Stay tuned. :-)
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]
Found a signal, great and you made it south (well, more south).
Brian

• Kaylee (04-05-2019)
Which site at the Mark Twain NF? I stayed there a few nights but there were different campgrounds.
monkeyfoot
(03-27-2019, 09:42 PM)sternwake Wrote: worn valve stem seals, and while I have not replaced them personally, I am told it is not a hard job with the right tools.

I've done the air hose in spark plug method  multiple x's on 318 et al. It's not at all difficult, it's also not that much more difficult to replace rings, I've done that in my condo parking lot. These are really simple engines.
But for someone who's not used to mechanical things, either would be next to impossible.

As long as you're in temperate climate, pour in thicker oil. 20W-50 is good because it thicker AND cheap (Rotella)!
It's hard to find straight 30w anymore, and I'd bet it'd be impossible to find straight 40w. This won't cure the issue, but will reduce oil consumption.
You can't run thick oil in winter in sconie, though.

If you have that massive of an oil leak, you would see little oil spots on the van's back door.
They are right to warn of leaking valve covers, but you'd probably smell it, and actually see smoke at that leakage rate.

It's really good you're staying on top of checking the oil.

Glad to hear you got on the road. Way better than wintering in sconiville.
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Kaylee (04-04-2019)