Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie & Fawkes, rising from ashes
Thanks for the sanity check guys!
The first two nights after leaving Iron Mountain, I did quickly glance at the ground, and didn't notice anything.

Tonight & tomorrow (i.e. before & after) I will carefully flashlight the ground under the van.
Brian, where should I concentrate, underside wise?

The last leg (pre-St.Louis to last city before da Forest) went very smoothly. I'm getting to know it/her/his little not-happy sounds, per Firefly's Kaylee. Wink
I also now pop & prop up da hood like a pro. Wink
Yesterday I was kind of anxious, but now that I've survived the death march thru St.Louis, and am less than 50 miles from da Forest, I'm pumped! Smile

My own old stationwagon (about 150 K-miles) tended to need oil after about 2000 miles, so perhaps this is relatively normal?
This time, I bought the stuff that's "specially formulated" for "older" engines.

Texjbird thanks, and I'm glad others have benefited from my woes & mistakes! Smile
If the next few weeks are Quiet & fruitful, then it will all be more than worth it! Smile

Note: I may not have cellular at the first site I'll be trying.
If so, I'll do a town run on the weekend and/or try another site.
Don't worry if you don't hear from me for a few days... it probably means I"m quietly Hacking Code. Big Grin
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]
Hi - thot id pop in without having a clue whats going on  Wink
 Dodge? What motor you have put in?
NomadJack, as long as you know that you don't know what you know... you're ok. Wink

It's a 1987 Dodge B250 van, lovingly converted by forum member "GypsyDogs" (look for her conversion/build threads titled "Miles Irving" - it's not a high-top, and she found it not viable due to back issues, whereas I was looking for something that I could live completely "inside", sitting most of the time, so it was a good fit for me, thus a win-win sale).
The engine is a 318 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Read of my mis-adventures (2 breakdowns) here and at the other forum.

edit to add:
Oh, I saw that! first you guessed Ford, then you edited! Wink
Don't be afraid to guess wrong. I'm an expert at that. Big Grin

Speaking of which, I'm going to post up some info to the "Kaylee Engine Fund" thread on what I'll be working on over the next few weeks, so all the kind donors will have a better idea of what they've made possible. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
Wow! How'd you see that? Thot i was quick tonight Sad
I had a dodge power wagon with the 318. (Im a ford guy), I was skimming through the posts - if your concerned about an oil leak (like mine had) youll be able to see it on the ground fairly easily after being parked for a few hours
Go see elephant rock park in Missouri. Really cool place.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • Kaylee (03-26-2019)
If your burning too much oil (bad rings) you will smoke more than you should (well, the van, not you)
Wink
Snik: thanks - I'm in SE MO, so that might be viable.
During today's drive, passed a big pink elephant statue with an American flag in its trunk. Was seriously tempted to stop & snap a pic. Smile

Jack: it was just timing. Smile
I will definitely check the ground tonight & in the morning.
I'm currently parked behind Walmart (truck area) so I can get good wifi. Smile
Gotta move soon-ish - there's no "forbidden" signs, but I'm pretty sure it's not kosher to stay here longer than a couple of hours. Smile

Forgot to mention... it's weird wearing cotton socks, after so long in thick wool.
Today, I started semi worrying I've gone "too far" south! Wink
My Plan is to move Northwards at each two weeks mandatory move.
The low painted metal (oil pan) underneath at the front and back of it is where you should look. There is a front seal and a back seal (that you can't see) but a leak at the front or back will be a place to start looking. Valve covers could also be leaking but are high on the engine. These are the normal leaking points. If you are in walmart, look on the asphalt when you leave is the easy way to check for a leak. Just look for fresh oil, not the old dried up stuff. Start up, pull forward a van length and get out look. Hang in there.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Kaylee (03-26-2019)
In how many miles is it becoming a quart low, either from leaking it or burning it?

HIgh mileage oil can be less voalitile and burn off to a lesser degree.

For example:
Pennzoil platinum ------------------10w-30 has a flashpoint of 210C ( 410f)
Pennzoil platinum high mileage 10w-30 has a flashpoint of 231C( 447.8f)

These temperatures are likely in the combustiuon chamber, and worn rings leaving more oil residue on cylinder walls, allows it to burn more oil, so a higher flashpoint should in theory burn off less.

High mileage oils have seal conditioners which might slow/stop leaks at gaskets.

NOACK volatility is likely a better indicator of how quickly a motor oil might burn off, but not all oil manufacturers provide this spec.

Don't be laizzez faire about the engine oil level. You do not want 3.5 quarts of oil doing the job of 5.

1 quart used in 500 miles is excessive. My '89 318 used just over a quart in the last 8K miles/ 4.5 months, and the consumption seemed to slow way down the last 4K miles
Just remember that in a new rebuild it takes a little time to reseat the rings.  Do another oil change as soon as you can.  The break in period can be hard on the oil.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated