Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change in vehicles coming up
Music 
Some vehicle changes coming in late December.  Through a game of “family wants a different ride roulette”, I will be giving my Prius to my son who will be selling his car and another relative will be gifting him a Ford Edge (older generation, maybe 2010?) and he will gift that to me...  Confused

So pros are: It’s AWD, I will know the maintenance history, doesn’t need any work, quite low mileage (under 50,000), doesn’t leak, no smoke, no body damage in or out, no rust, is about 33% bigger inside than the Prius (like I could actually roll over or even halfway sit up), has a roof rack that I could put a solar panel on.

Cons: Gas mileage is 1/3rd of the Prius in town and close to 1/2 on the highway. No ability to run ac at night in hot climates like the electric ac on the Prius, and car specific forums say that you MUST keep the coolant flushed every 2 years or so and the centre differential fluid (TPU?) changed annually or you will have a $2200 and a $1600 repair bill respectively (internal water pump requiring front of engine disassembly and the TPU gear oil sludges up due to heat and dries...)

So it isn’t the hoped for minivan but from what I’ve seen on dealer lots or on CL, most everything 2007-2010 has a bunch of miles (like 140-200K) and lots of forum reported repair issues (most brands have problems with their power sliding doors, to name a common expensive one).

Since this will give me more room and I will still look “normal/stealthy”, it may be a win-win. He gets an economical commute car and I get a known low-mileage replacement of about the same era. Yay for elderly family who can’t drive anymore...

Not like this news will cause anyone to stand up and cheer but hey, it’s more liveable than what I currently have. Now to try and put a pop top on it... ha ha   Shy
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Organized people are simply too lazy to search for stuff.
Smile  THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD THING TO ME.
  I DON'T REMEMBER IF YOU INTEND TO DO A LOT OF TRAVELING OR NOT.  FOR ME IN THE TRADE OFF OF MORE MPG OR BEING MORE COMFORTABLE........COMFORT WOULD WIN IN MY WORLD.  ARE YOU FAMILIAR  WITH THE SAYING "BUILT FOR COMFORT NOT FOR SPEED"?  I LIKE GOING FAST HOWEVER IT'S 2ND TO COMFORT FOR ME.

I HOPE EVERY THING WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

JEWELL ANN
                           My Heart Is Good............But Oh This Mouth
                              I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME
                                            I AIN'T DONE ......YET
                                                           TJB

(11-07-2018, 10:22 PM)Texjbird Wrote: Smile  THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD THING TO ME.
  I DON'T REMEMBER IF YOU INTEND TO DO A LOT OF TRAVELING OR NOT.  FOR ME IN THE TRADE OFF OF MORE MPG OR BEING MORE COMFORTABLE........COMFORT WOULD WIN IN MY WORLD.  ARE YOU FAMILIAR  WITH THE SAYING "BUILT FOR COMFORT NOT FOR SPEED"?  I LIKE GOING FAST HOWEVER IT'S 2ND TO COMFORT FOR ME.

I HOPE EVERY THING WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

JEWELL ANN

Some travel, right now not so much but in the summers a lot so yes, something other than an enclosed skateboard would be nice... thanks
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Guess if I go out in it I will look like an SUV dweller vs a van dweller...

Mobile citizen.
I’ll try to keep everyone posted on mods... it’s simpler than a minivan as I can’t put in a cot, won’t do a house battery so no extra wiring (c-d solenoid), might get a small 20 watt dashboard solar panel to keep the starting battery topped up through the power-point that’s always hot. Smaller ice chest (can’t do a compressor fridg due to electrical draw), just the basics for extended trips.