Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need new RV batteries, need advise.
The batteries in my RV are eight years old and arn`t holding a charge anymore like they should, and sense the weather here has
gotten colder I have to run my generator more often to recharge the batteries. So with the batteries being at the end of there life,
what is a good replacement battery ?.

My RV has two batteries, the batteries in my RV now are Interstate batteries. I don`t know the group size.
I`m not rich, but I would like to get some decent replacement batteries.

Any advise would be appreciated.
2001 Phoenix Cruiser 2300B.        
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18
a little more info?

what are your charging source? solar? how much?
what electronics are you using?
Are they 12v batteries, or 6v golfcart batteries?

The latter battery are the best bang for the buck if gotten from Costco, sams club or Batteries+.

If they ar e12v batteries in parallel, how tall is your battery compartememt? Golf cart (GC-2) batteries are taller.

Whats the end goal here, batteries that are going to be cycled hard daily and you want the best, intending to properly chage them as best as possible?

Or the charging system is what it is and the batteries last as long as they last?

One can go either way, the latter one just replaces batteries more often, and if they get sick of doing so seemingly prematurely, then they start upgrading their charging sources.

What are your charging existing sources?
And what are your loads?
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • rvpopeye (11-06-2018), frater secessus (11-06-2018), Texjbird (11-06-2018)
X2 ^ Sternwake
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
Sounds like the genset is your only power source when camped. 

If you are running a propane 2-way or 3-way fridge, then a 100 watt solar panel will be sufficient to keep the batteries at least topped off when other loads are used very sparingly.

I would recommend adding a 100 watt panel and simple pwm controller (to stay within your budget) when you replace your house batteries. This will extend the life of your new batteries, and require much less use of the genset, especially when you have plenty of sunlight.
(11-05-2018, 11:48 PM)Gary Wrote: a little more info?

what are your charging source? solar? how much?
what electronics are you using?

My only charging source right now is my generator, I do have solar panels, but wont be able to install them until next spring.
The only electronics I have is a 12 volt tv with a built in dvd player that I watch after work for about four hours a night, and two
led lights that I use at night. I also have my fridge running on propane, so 12 volt for it to light and operate. 

When I run my generator I charge my phone and laptop
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18
(11-05-2018, 11:49 PM)sternwake Wrote: Are they 12v batteries, or 6v golfcart batteries?

The latter battery are the best bang for the buck if gotten from Costco, sams club or Batteries+.

If they ar e12v batteries in parallel, how tall is your battery compartememt?  Golf cart (GC-2) batteries are taller.

Whats the end goal here, batteries that are going to be cycled hard daily and you want the best, intending to properly chage them as best as possible?

Or the charging system is what it is and the batteries last as long as they last?

One can go either way, the latter one just replaces batteries more often, and if they get sick of doing so  seemingly prematurely, then they start upgrading their charging sources.

What are your charging existing  sources?
And what are your loads?

I have two twelve volt group twenty four batteries in my rv, they are in parallel. That is the largest battery that will fit in the
battery compartment. I`m at work all day, so I don`t use my batteries hard, the only things that draw on the batteries continuously
is the refrigerator and the tv when its off. I watch tv about 3-4 hours a knight, and all I have to recharge my batteries right now is my generator. I will have my solar panels installed next spring.

My loads are my refrigerator, my tv, and three led lights.
Charging sources are my generator only right now.
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18
Which converter is your generator powering to charge the batteries?

huge gains can be had here if high amperage converter is seeking mid 14
huge losses here if converter is low amperage and incapable of seeking and holding higher pressure while generator runs.

do uou have 3 inches more height over the parLlelled group 24's?

if so then golf cart batteries will fit. Have more capacity and mo better for same or lower price
If you can fit the golf cart batts  , they are 6 volts instead of 12 so need to be hooked up in series instead of parallel .(Best choice IMO , even if you have to redesign the compartment (if at all possible).)

If you can't Huh disregard all the rest and just get the marine versions.
You should get pretty good service from them as long as you keep 'em charged full up , The GC batts probably have more capacity and should last longer in service , again if you keep 'em charged full up . (see the theme forming here ?)

To do that:
Attach the 2 main cables to the positive of one batt and the negative of the other one . (red to positive Wink
Then use one (if long enough) of the jumper cables that are between the batteries now to connect the unused batt terminals (Positive TO Negative). 

(Again I agree with Stern,s great advise ^)

Maybe you could use those panels in a portable type hookup until you can get them mounted (uptah that roof thayah Chummie )  leaned against the rig or laying on a picnic table etc.

OH Ayuh ! Cool

You CAN do this ! Just post up questions , we'll leave the light on for ya ! (it's OK , it's on solar !) Rolleyes
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
Video 
Doesn’t sound like overuse was the culprit but undercharging... as SW has said countless times, you’ve got to get them up to a full charge (at least weekly). To do that you either need a better than stock converter and/or get that solar up there pronto!  

Can you afford $300? If so go on Amazon and purchase two hard framed 100 watt panels (they were as low as $94 apiece a couple of weeks ago, but may float up to $115 a panel now) and also pick up your controller and cabling. You’ll want 200 watts to really keep up the batteries on cloudy days and make up for PWN controller inefficiencies. You can read up on “controller wars” if you want to.  Angel

It sounds like your usage is fairly low so whatever batteries you get (at least marine or as said before, GC’s if you can fit them in) try your best to keep them fully charged and you should see good life. It’s not that 8 years was low, but perhaps the solar will extend the new ones even more.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."