Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Raises Minimum Wage to $15 for All U.S. Employees
$3.25? That was big money. I started at .75 an hour. 

You must be much younger than me. But I was 10 when I started working.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
I don't know why people who don't know their history keep saying that the minimum wage was created as a beginner's wage -- it wasn't true then and it's not true now. The purpose was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers. It was created and maintained to give a minimum standard of living to protect the employees.

During the Great Depression (for those who know what that was), the employers who had to hire employees (such as for field work and factories) were hiring children because they could 'justify' paying them even less than they would an adult.

Today, there are still businesses and employers who want to pay the absolute least that they can get away with, no matter how much profit they are making. Why do you think businesses offshore their work to slave-labor countries? They wouldn't be doing that if they could get away with paying 50 cents an hour here.
(10-07-2018, 03:19 PM)GotSmart Wrote: $3.25? That was big money. I started at .75 an hour. 

You must be much younger than me. But I was 10 when I started working.

It was an actual 'corporation'...not a mom-and-pop place.....if you count the money I earned at 10 and 12 years old throwing papers and mowing lawns, it was much less....

We're about the same age...pops!

Big Grin
Wondering about Wandering.
The minimum wage was absolutely supposed to be a living wage, anyone willing to work full time should be able to support themselves, free of any other governmental assistance in my book.

FDR's speech on the subject: President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

While I like most probably like as little interference from the government as possible.....I don't quite see the logic in the minimum wage not being enough to support yourself........the same corporations paying it are raking in hundreds of millions and sometimes billions in profits, and then the same government that dictates what the minimum wage is then has to subsidize their low pay so they can afford to live.

And every job in this country is worth doing and we all depend on everyone working the jobs below us and above us, we're all cogs on the wheel and we need that cog to keep turning. Why shouldn't someone that chooses to flip burgers all week to feed people at least make the base amount of money needed to survive? You're on your feet 40 hours a week serving your fellow man, I think you deserve at least that.
(10-07-2018, 04:01 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: I don't know why people who don't know their history keep saying that the minimum wage was created as a beginner's wage -- it wasn't true then and it's not true now.  

I did not say it was 'created' as a beginner wage, I stated it should be really be called that, because it is that, a starting point...wages should go UP from there as workers become more skilled.

Quote:The purpose was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers.  It was created and maintained to give a minimum standard of living to protect the employees.  

Nope, and sorta.

MN C Van wrote:
Quote:That wasn't at all what FDR said he intended when minimum wage was introduced. Regardless, whatever it's aim was or wasn't isn't relevant- People are the authority and can change the reasoning for any law over time, or the next day.

Again, nope.

FDR did not 'invent' the minimum wage in post-depression America. 

Actually the minimum wage goes back to the late 1890's in New Zealand and Australia, but let's focus on the good old USA.

From Wikipedia:

"On June 4, 1912, Massachusetts passed the first minimum wage legislation in the United States, which established a state commission for recommending non-compulsory minimum wages for women and children."

This was in 'sweat shops' which were common back then. Who on this forum believes that children need to make, or are expected to make, a living wage to support a family?

I sure don't. 

Help a family? Sure! But expecting a 10 year old to be able to support an entire family seems beyond reality. So the 'minimum wage' was not a 'living wage'.

I'm not against a minimum wage. What I am saying is that to ram an increase of TWICE the current wage down all employers throats is counter-productive. Do it in gradual steps over many years as it has been done in the past. 

Besides, 29 states already have a higher minimum wage than the federal minimum wage.

Let the voters in each state decide what is appropriate.
I also found this little gem in Wikipedia:

"A widely circulated argument that the minimum wage was ineffective at reducing poverty was provided by George Stigler in 1949:

Employment may fall more than in proportion to the wage increase, thereby reducing overall earnings;

As uncovered sectors of the economy absorb workers released from the covered sectors, the decrease in wages in the uncovered sectors may exceed the increase in wages in the covered ones;

The impact of the minimum wage on family income distribution may be negative unless the fewer but better jobs are allocated to members of needy families rather than to, for example, teenagers from families not in poverty;

Forbidding employers to pay less than a legal minimum is equivalent to forbidding workers to sell their labor for less than the minimum wage. The legal restriction that employers cannot pay less than a legislated wage is equivalent to the legal restriction that workers cannot work at all in the protected sector unless they can find employers willing to hire them at that wage."

I'm mostly in favor of the federal government taking a 'hands-off' approach and letting the market (or the states) figure it out. Libertarians like myself tend to think that way. Sorry, it's in my genes.
(10-07-2018, 07:49 PM)Everyroadleadshome Wrote: The minimum wage was absolutely supposed to be a living wage,  anyone willing to work full time should be able to support themselves....

My disagreement is about those who only need to earn a small income, such as teenagers in part time work while living at home or as a college student making ends meet, or earning gas money. I'd rather they find SOME work, than NONE, as my above posts refer to.

Quote:FDR's speech on the subject: President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

Fine. Let those small start-up businesses, small diners, and corner mom-and-pop grocery stores, paying what they can afford to pay stockers, waitresses and waiters, broom pushers, trainees, sackers at the grocery store, sign-spinners at the car wash, etc, all GO OUT OF BUSINESS from the inability to make ends meet with inflationary wages eating at the bottom line. The other costs of doing business will continue to erode profits as they always have....

Yep...that will fix EVERYTHING.

What we REALLY need is a tax break. A BIG one.

If workers have got more take-home money, it's the same as a raise.
(10-05-2018, 08:21 PM)Art Wrote: Well either they'll cut jobs, rice prices, or go Broke
Until then those who can actually get a job there will benefit

Smile  Art where you been and what have you been up to?

JewellAnn
                           My Heart Is Good............But Oh This Mouth
                              I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME
                                            I AIN'T DONE ......YET
                                                           TJB