Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
good charities to give my old car to?
At the point that I buy a van, I'll no longer be able to have my trusty stationwagon.

I don't want the angst of selling it, so I'd like to gift it to a charity that (I hope) would be able to give it to somebody in need.

Suggestions?

I did some web searching, but found a morass.
Sounds like most just sell them, then use the proceeds.
I view mine as a Firefly class vehicle: still runs well, but wouldn't yield much if sold.
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
Jamie at the van build has found folks down on their luck used vehicles from time to time. That might be a nice way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blanch for this post:
  • Kaylee (09-26-2018)
One family member recently donated to the Epilepsy foundation.
I believe most charities sell them and use the proceeds to fund their programs.  Giving a car to a needy person seems like a great idea, BUT if something goes wrong will that person think you need to fix it?  If you do give it away make sure you go to the DMV with them and get it out of your name so you are no longer liable.  This could mean you would need to pay for insurance in order to get the title transferred.  Be aware, no good dead goes unpunished.
Watch the local Free websites: 2good2toss, FreeCycle, (city)Reusables, etc, for someone who needs a car. If you just post a free car, every junkie and deadbeat in the state will be on your doorstep.

Weigh2ez above gave good advice. Go to the local DMV and sign it over in person, specifying that it is being give FREE, or they'll have to pay taxes on it. Also, have the 'buyer' write and date a note describing the car, that it was a gift, and he/she is taking it AS-IS. You DO NOT type up the agreement and just have them sign it. When the whole thing is in their handwriting, they can't say that they didn't read it/didn't understand it/you lied about it.

One of my employers once sold a car and didn't do anything about a transfer. The buyer hit a kid a couple of weeks later, and the police traced the car right back to my employer and took him away to have the witness ID him. Fortunately for him, the perp was darker-skinned, had dark hair and mustache, sturdy build. My employer was blonde/blue and skinny. The witness instantly said he wasn't the one. Don't depend on luck -- sometimes she's busy elsewhere.
Do a quick sale to a car lot. Donate the money.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-27-2018)
Actually, GS's suggestion may make the most sense. Probably why I didn't think of it.
Do not give a car to an epileptic. Just sayin'.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ratfink56 for this post:
  • Texjbird (09-29-2018)
Does Ratfink have a "Stinkin' Badge" yet ?

If not , make it so #1.

T W O h s,,,,P. O.
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • ratfink56 (09-30-2018)
(09-28-2018, 03:42 PM)ratfink56 Wrote: Do not give a car to an epileptic. Just sayin'.

As long as I have my CBD oil, I am fine
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated