Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Audio Books
(09-23-2018, 12:21 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: Blanche, you have to remember that most people lead such small, limited, boring, controlled lives that they are completely unable to understand the concept of Freedom.  The idea of roaming around the country, looking at wonderful things is beyond their understanding.  While it is irritating, they are more to be pitied.

You related to Mencken?
Quote:
  • The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. He is not actually happy when free; he is uncomfortable, a bit alarmed, and intolerably lonely. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty — and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.
    • Baltimore Evening Sun (12 February 1923)

Just do what kids do, got to different librarians until one says yes.
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Blanch (09-23-2018), TrainChaser (09-23-2018), heron (09-26-2018)
That is exactly how I used to buy alcohol when underage. Just keep trying, eventually some clerk sells it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Blanch for this post:
  • Cammalu (09-23-2018), MN C Van (09-24-2018)
MN C Van: "You related to Mencken?"

I think it unlikely. My father was, unfortunately, my father. I resemble him and have his toes.

But thank you for the complement. And I do tend to be an outlaw type of thinker.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • Blanch (09-23-2018), MN C Van (09-24-2018), Snikwahjm (09-24-2018)
We could see if there's a photo on Mencken's toes.

I don't have a county public library card.
I check out books and vids from the county library frequently.
And from an outstate library system from time to time.

How? The county law library hands out cards like candy, their clientele is a bit different from the public library, let's say.
The public systems recognize the law library with reciprocity.

In short, you could visit the county's law or business/reference libraries for a workaround.
Or maybe the university?
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Blanch (09-24-2018)
Here in WA, we had a Governor by the name of Gary Locke who wanted to close down the state's libraries because he said everything needed could be found online. http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/apr02/schuyler.htm

I guess his motto was, "We don't need no stinkin' libraries -- they're too expensive." Some people objected.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • heron (09-26-2018), Kaylee (12-16-2018)
My library has a similar system for audio and e-books, but the app they use is 'Overdrive'. I use the hell out of it, because I can check out up to 20 books for 3 weeks at a time and they have never once required me to renew my library card. Our librarians know that keeping more users on the books (pun intended) means more $$ for the library!
Was it successful ?
I wonder for the po' folk that have no internet ?
Oh well ,,,,better than a sharp stick in the eye.....
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
The library has free WiFi. You can hang out in comfy chairs and central heating while you browse travel guides and download free audiobooks.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SoCaliVanner for this post:
  • Nana (12-16-2018)