Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim's little A/C unit
Would probably work in daylight with 300W, cycles would be far apart, and a minivan wouldn't take a very long cycle to cool.

Plus, install would be easy, rest holes are nearly large enough to accommodate an air conditioner
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
Honestly, with 300 watts, it wouldn't be able to run too much. Jim recommended 800, and I think I'll do ok with my 640 watts, due to my small space and insulation. Maybe... It seems to be drawing near 440 watts on low.
Still, that's the best I've heard of, little A/C wise. I guess there's not much call for a 2500 btu unit, outside our circles.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-18-2018)
I researched for a year to find the lowest draw units. I saw sub 5000 BTU units for dog houses, truck cabs, equipment rooms and even the coolest portable 3000 BTU mini split. None of them used less power, more in fact while providing less cooling.

I really want to try the Chico 6400 BTU at 500 watts. I am not worried for the extra 100 watts on the solar system but I am worried that the little generator would be able to run it.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • S Cello (09-19-2018), Roadtripp (02-14-2019)
(09-16-2018, 12:43 PM)S Cello Wrote: Well, recently I've been out driveway surfing in the van in Southern Calif.  Doing this I've learned several things.

#1: it is a bit too warm to hang out in the van after about 10 or 11 am.

#2: I am not using anywhere near my solar capacity after 11 am.
I've been hitting 100% charged on my battery bank by 11 am or noon.

Answer: I ordered Jim in Denver's recommended A/C unit 

https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FFRE05...uage=en_US

I'M SPENDING TODAY DOING AS LITTLE AS POSISIBLE 'CUZ I JUST DON'T FEEL WELL.

I NEED A 120 AC FOR THE VAN.  I'VE SEEN JIM'S VIDEO AND READ AC THREADS.  ALSO WATCHED YOU TUBE WHERE I'VE SEEN INSTALLS IN BACK DOOR WINDOWS.  SO I'M SURE HIS LITTLE AC IS WHAT I NEED.  ON THE AMAZON LINK I COULDN'T FIND THE WEIGHT AND SIZE OF THE UNIT.  THE HELP BAR WASN'T ANY HELP AT ALL.

I CHECKED BEST BUY AND THEY HAVE ONE THAT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE CONTROLS.

THE 5,000 BTU FRIGIDAIRE MINI AC THEY HAVE HAS MECHANICAL CONTROLS
 WEIGHS 35lbs, IS 16in WIDE AND 12inTALL

THE PRICE IS $137 WITHOUT TAX

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE SAME AC OR NOT  SO I'M JUST PASSING THE INFO ALONG.

JEWELLANN

P.S.    IF ANYONE KNOWS IF IT'S THE SAME AC WOULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW?
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
The one that has mechanical controls is not the same one.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • Texjbird (05-27-2019)