Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone want a winter caretaker/housesitter/renter?
Networking:
Does anyone have a quiet s&b that will be vacant for a few months, and would be interested in a reliable renter/housesitter/caretaker with excellent character & tenant references (i.e. me)?

My only requirements are:
1. quiet
2. smoke-free (outside as well as inside)
3. reliable internet (if none set up, then Verizon or some other pay-as-you-go cell provider)

Indoor plumbing and an oven would also be nice, but not required. Smile

Job Update:
I've been offered a pure telecommute job, with generally good flexibility.
It's in my passion field (cybersecurity), and the company is run by somebody I've "known" for many years in the Volunteer area of cybersecurity (i.e. he's ethical - woo!hoo!).

I had been thinking I'd just buy a modest cargo-minivan and head to The Woods, but have concluded that I need to start in a s&b, establish my credibility (I'm required to learn a new programming language), then take off some time to transition to van dwelling.
Have discussed this plan with New Boss, and he's on board. He even mentioned that he recently used the term "Nomad" when he would have previously used the term "homeless". Smile

I've put out some Craigslist queries, and gotten the usual mix of no answers, and clueless incompetents.
I really shouldn't have to explain to anybody the concept of needing to know what the total costs are, or the meaning of "quiet", or the significance of a smoking neighbor standing outside one's door or window. Grrr!Argh!

P.S. PMs welcome, and/or any general suggestions. Smile
still homeless, tentative progress on a GoodJob, still lots of Newbie Qs

"We are in a car." K9 to Mickey, "School Reunion", Doctor Who
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
There is a caretakers gazette you might try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • Texjbird (09-12-2018), Kaylee (09-17-2018)
It may vary from one place to another. You may need to google how to find a caretaker in ***** area.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • Kaylee (09-17-2018)
Thanks for the suggestions!

Last weekend, I moved from my car into an off-season cabin (i.e. winter rental).

It has an awesome view and is quiet... but is THE filthiest place I've ever lived.
He failed to mention that in his ad, of course. If it hadn't been for the obvious quiet location & truly awesome view, and my tight timeline, I'd have stomped out as soon as I was hit by the stench (musty & wet-doggie).

I did get him to agree to pay to have it cleaned, and have put out feelers for a cleaning person.
Google told me that white vinegar helps with the two big stenches, I've been airing it out, and just turned on the furnace (with much explosion trepidation, since clearly landlord is Red Green's thicker cousin).

I'll post pics of critters/etc, once it's been sterilized (I have just minimal stuff inside, for now).

There's lots of birds and mammals. Smile
First morning, I was "serenaded" by a pair of Bald Eagles, chattering.
Had a Red-breasted Nuthatch today. Smile
Cammalu, I'll be kludging some feeding stations. Smile

"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • BCGuy (09-17-2018), GypsyDogs (09-18-2018)
Get those feeding stations out!
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • Kaylee (09-25-2018)
Along with the vinegar, use a salt lamp 24/7, an oil diffuser with DoTerra Purify oil. That worked to remove the musty mold smell from my one bathroom.

The oil diffuser is a small unit that I use in the RV too. I plug it into the USB port on the dash Smile Makes it smell all pretty.
CoPilots: Cleo & Joe
2000 Tioga 27' Class C
450 Ford Chassis
V-10 Triton
Onan 4000 on-board gas genny

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to RoamingRaven for this post:
  • Texjbird (09-23-2018), Kaylee (09-25-2018)
(09-18-2018, 06:39 PM)Cammalu Wrote: Get those feeding stations out!

I did "say goodbye" to some of my critter neighbors, and did put out some loose nuts (very happy chipmunks & birds!).

Cammalu, I'm awaiting your contribution to:
https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sho...?tid=33164
Smile

RoamingRaven, thanks for the tips!
I'm a Traumatic Brain Injury survivor, so am more sensitive than most, but this was so bad that it was potentially dangerous for even "normals".

That was a fun read
(Yesterday, 08:02 PM)Kaylee Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 06:39 PM)Cammalu Wrote: Get those feeding stations out!

I did "say goodbye" to some of my critter neighbors, and did put out some loose nuts (very happy chipmunks & birds!).

Cammalu, I'm awaiting your contribution to:
https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sho...?tid=33164
Smile

RoamingRaven, thanks for the tips!
I'm a Traumatic Brain Injury survivor, so am more sensitive than most, but this was so bad that it was potentially dangerous for even "normals".
That thread was funny.  I thought she probably shouldn't be in a van if she didn't like critters on her roof.  What's she going to do when a Bob Cat lands on it?

Being a TBI survivor, you might find a small salt lamp and essential oils beneficial to other layers of your well being. 
 The Salt lamp creates negative ions similar to a waterfall or a shower.  

The young man caretaking my B&S home is Multiple Chemical Sensitive.  I have a salt lamp going in whatever room we are working on at the time to help him (and me).  At Yule, my daughters gave me a little salt lamp that plugs in for the RV and a USB oil diffuser... I enjoy both Smile
CoPilots: Cleo & Joe
2000 Tioga 27' Class C
450 Ford Chassis
V-10 Triton
Onan 4000 on-board gas genny